Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you all baking for Easter?

Options
  • 19-04-2011 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭

Anyone got anything in mind for Easter, ideas maybe on how to use up easter eggs.
    Nigellas fudge sauce for ice cream is one using 100g milk choc.

Think I'll just do some choc chip cupcakes with nutella butter cream and top off with a mini egg just something simple.
    Have seen Simnel cakes in Tesco and too lazy to try out myself so might chance buying one and hope it tastes reasonably ok.

So what you planning?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

A nice chocolate cake for my boyfriend's mom with a pretty Easter scene on top, bunnies in a garden with baskets of eggs I think, and flowers, and fences and all the cute things I love making :) She loves my chocolate cake with raspberries and chocolate ganache filling, if I see some good value raspberries I'll make that.

Other than that I think I might make a few cupcakes for friends, maybe put some buck toothed rabbit faces on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Well its my birthday on Sunday so going to make a birthday/easter cake and some cupcakes..and maybe a cheesecake!

God I love baking!

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭namurt

This got me thinking. I don't really do Easter but do like baking and showing off :-) Last year I made Easter Eggs and filled chocolate sweets for my parents. Don't think I can top that so was thinking of making a cake this year. I was looking for ideas and saw egg-shaped cakes which look cool. I'm assuming plastic egg moulds wouldn't be oven proof so any ideas where I could get a half egg cake tin?

Sorry if I'm hijacking this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭mw3guc

namurt wrote: »
    This got me thinking. I don't really do Easter but do like baking and showing off :-) Last year I made Easter Eggs and filled chocolate sweets for my parents. Don't think I can top that so was thinking of making a cake this year. I was looking for ideas and saw egg-shaped cakes which look cool. I'm assuming plastic egg moulds wouldn't be oven proof so any ideas where I could get a half egg cake tin?

Sorry if I'm hijacking this thread.

If you have a good size round pyrex bowl (or 2) you can make 2 cakes, sandwich them together and trim the sides to an oval shape. Once they're iced, you won't be able to tell they were originally round.

Good idea mw3guc. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I've been bullied into making chocolate biscuit cake ! I have a couple of bunny molds I kept from last year's eggs, so I'm making chocolate biscuit bunnies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

It's my birthday on Monday so I'm going to make myself some raspberry cheesecake brownies from the hummingbird bakery book.

Also my Mum is having people over on Sunday and has requested a key lime pie, so I'll be making that for her. A baking filled weekend, I can't wait. :)

phasers wrote: »
    I've been bullied into making chocolate biscuit cake ! I have a couple of bunny molds I kept from last year's eggs, so I'm making chocolate biscuit bunnies.

Good idea. I was thinking afterwards that instead of trying to bake an oval cake I could use the egg moulds I have for an egg shaped chocolate biscuit cake.

Any ideas what type of icing would go well with it and be easy to ice that shape? I had a chocolate biscuit cake with white chocolate icing for my wedding cake but don't think I could/would want to try to replicate that.

namurt wrote: »
    Good idea. I was thinking afterwards that instead of trying to bake an oval cake I could use the egg moulds I have for an egg shaped chocolate biscuit cake.

Any ideas what type of icing would go well with it and be easy to ice that shape? I had a chocolate biscuit cake with white chocolate icing for my wedding cake but don't think I could/would want to try to replicate that.
    A chocolate buttercream could be good, or else you could just cover the eggs in melted chocolate to make them look like real easter eggs? Ooh I'm craving chocolate now!

Oooh, I like buttercream, yeh that could be good. I thought of just chocolate but then I thought it would just all run down to the edges and also thought it would crack into pieces when trying to cut the cake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Hopefully Lemon tart, i love lemon tart!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

@namurt Tesco are selling cake tins for only about a fiver they have egg molds on them not large cakes but smaller ones I got them last year and used a Bundt cake recipe they turned out fairly well, think I used a lemon flavour if I remember rightly.

Thanks Sigma. I actually saw those the other day but thought they might be a bit small and then awkward to decorate. Thanks though.

I got the tesco cake molds today, they have two different egg patterns and a bunny shape.

Only €2.50! They've got really cute pink cake tins as well, €4.50 for a pack of two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

Turkey , roast lamb with all the trimmings followed by dark chocolate roulade filled with strawberries and cream , lemon slices with lemon butter icing, or if no takers for that... vienetta :)

Can you give the recipe for the lemon butter cream pleaaase?

Am going to steal some of the young ones easter eggs tomorow and use the milk choc to make Nigellas chocolate peanut butter sauce for ice cream.

So far this wkend have made nutella butter cream cupcakes, brownies, meringues and profiteroles filled with banana cream. Gotta love choux pastry it's so easy to make I find anyway compared to other pastries.

Mutst check out Tesco and see if they have any of those cake tins left and see what other Easter stuff they might try and sell off after Easter.

Oh dear I am no help as I go totally by taste. Butter, icing sugar, and rind , and lemon juice. Usually about double the amount of sugar to butter, a little rind, depending on how you like rind in your slices ! juice little by little as you taste.

Grand will give it a try, wouldn't mind making some cupcakes with the lemon butter cream to top them off but would orange or lemon flavoured cupcakes be better with the lemon icing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭mw3guc

Grand will give it a try, wouldn't mind making some cupcakes with the lemon butter cream to top them off but would orange or lemon flavoured cupcakes be better with the lemon icing?

I made plain (vanilla) cupcakes for Easter with my own 'taste & add' recipe of lemon icing, as follows:
    150 gms butter
    150 gms icing sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    400 gms cream cheese
    3 Tablespoons lemon curd (or to taste)
    I creamed the butter and icing sugar and then added the cream cheese bit by bit. Finally, I beat in the lemon curd until I felt the flavour was right.
    This is a LOT of icing but it was great for piping and not sickeningly sweet, which all other buttercream tends to be for me. I needed so much icing because I was initially aiming for 23 cupcakes to fit the stand I have and the first cake mix yielded only 20 cakes (frustratingly). I figured I might as well make 20 more while I was at it, so my guests had cupcake party bags to take home. Nobody complained :D

Personal preference I suppose. For me I d go lemon all the way !

• Advertisement
Advertisement