Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

canon

• 19-04-2011 4:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭

i primarily use nikon , and nearly all film now - but have been looking at getting something with a bit of video, and a qualityish pocket camera - looking at canon s95 which is a bit cheaper than the G12 - just wondering is the extra bobs for G12 worth it

cheers

b

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

I've been looking at this myself. I've been thinking of getting some sort of high end compact for times when my DSLR's aren't appropriate or desired (being in America recently hammered it home). There's a few options but I'm not 100% which one is worth shelling out a chunk of the price of a new SLR body.

I've used a Canon G9 before, belonging to an aunt, and was impressed by it (for the little time I was using it). The G12 is essentially identical, with some increased spec.
    The S95 is a cracking compact, it even shoots RAW. It's a bit pricey though, and it feels tiny.

There's other options too. I've read great things about the Lumix LX5 and even better about the new Samsung EX-1 (supposed to be amazing, but I've yet to see one in person).

I was looking at the Nikon offerings last weekend, being a Nikon man. Their high-end compacts until now were usually underwhelming, but the P7000 has me seriously tempted. It's cheaper than the G12 too. I got to use the P300, which is even cheaper than the S95 and feels a lot better, and was impressed. The only downfall of it was not being able to shoot RAW. Had it done so, I'd have bought it on the spot.

I'm still kind of weighing whether I'm willing to pay extra for RAW, though. If not, I'll get that P300 (it's rudiculously easy to use compared to others, especially if you shoot Nikon already). If I decide I want it, it's between the P7000 and the EX-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I have the canon G9 and find it great for out and about shots.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Borderfox wrote: »
    I have the canon G9 and find it great for out and about shots.

So do I .... They come in the Mod Kit. :D

I did look at the S90 and thought it was a cracking camera. I would go for the S95.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

CabanSail wrote: »

I did look at the S90 and thought it was a cracking camera. I would go for the S95.

think i will save the extra bobs, and go for the s 95 , the only problem i see with it , is it is so light - seams do all the g12 does - but smaller and cheaper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Scarlet68 on here uses the G11, and I never see her without it! Its a savage little thing! (Although there has been times when she has forgot the SD Card for it) :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

i had a G7 which i sold then a G9 which was stolen now have a G11, any of these are very good!! however almost usless in low light situations and very bad red eye with the onboard flash.
    In good lighting tho! pretty good IQ vid is acceptable also!

:)

purchase done - gone for the s95 - fingers crossed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

too late now but did you consider the Sony NEX-5?

jpfahy wrote: »
    too late now but did you consider the Sony NEX-5?

yeah too late to turn back - I will still primarily use film , but will use s95 as a backup p&s - just from a bit of an early experiment at Laytown beach

B8F02431885C445DAC444EA684C41A3A-0000317959-0002283216-00800L-25F4D6F944C2498483622B18B27FC700.jpg

more experimenting - was begining to think it was a bit flat

656AC1D6B96A48AFBB2C7D0086A368FA-0000317959-0002284611-00800L-9A06E49998014205AD31BC8925528DBD.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

I got a loan of our daughter's S95 and broght it to London recently. Excellent camera. The only think I missed compared to the 40D was a viewfinder.

Here's a few shots taken with it.

Advertisement