Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*MH406 Law & Business Course*

Options
  • 19-04-2011 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭

[FEEL FREE TO MOVE IF THREAD IS IN THE WRONG AREA]

Hey guys, I'm a first time poster in the NUIM section and was wondering about the particular course I mentioned above. I just want to know from anyone who is currently doing, or has previously completed this course what its like/course content etc. My career guidance teacher is atrocious and very unhelpful, so if I could get any first hand experience it would be fantastic!

I'm also wondering about what aptitudes as a person you would need to do well in this course?. I'm currently doing 2 Business Subjects @ HL for my L.C. (Business & Economics), i'm a strong B student in both of them. I also love reading and quite strong at English.

Anyway, thanks in advance guys for any replies.. :D

:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I don't have first hand experience of Law and & Business (I probably shouldn't post so, but I'm bored :p), but you mentioned English, and I'm just a few weeks away from finishing a degree in it so I can help there :D

Here's the course outline for the BBL in Law and Business. It lists all the modules that you would be doing over the 3 years, so that will give you a bit of an idea of the possible aptitudes that would be best for someone doing the course.

You can't do English with the BBL course, but if you really want to do it as well as Business and Law, you could apply for the Law and Arts degree. Or just plain old Arts. You can do Business, Law, and English through both of those degrees. However, to carry on Law after first year if you do it through MH101, you have to get an average of over 60 or so.

if you've any questions about what English is like or anything, ask away! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Thank you for the help! I'd much rather do the Law & Business Course though! And thanks for the link :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Hey. I'm currently a Second Year Law and Arts (History) student and know plently of BBLs so throw any qs at me! :)

Hey. I'm currently a Second Year Law and Arts (History) student and know plently of BBLs so throw any qs at me! :)
    Hey, the main question I would like to know the answer to is how would you know if you were interested in Law/ or if you have the aptitude for Law?. Are the lecturers good, what are the modules like?

Hey, the main question I would like to know the answer to is how would you know if you were interested in Law/ or if you have the aptitude for Law?. Are the lecturers good, what are the modules like?

That's kind of a touch question! It's a personal thing really! Are you interested in law?! And not just the exciting criminal stuff! Can you face reading 50 page cases and trying to analyse every fact to see what's important?
    If you're worried that you might not have the aptitude for law maybe you should try do Law through Arts and then you can drop it if you want to! i actually went that route myself but for me it was more due to my awful LC!

The lecturers are all good and are all willing to help. All have different styles though so you'll find some better than others and some classes more interesting. Apparently you'll have some amazing business lecturer as well. He seems to be a personal favourite amongst many!

In first year you'll be studying contract and constitutional law. Not the most exciing but they are interesting and not impossible either!

• Advertisement

That's kind of a touch question! It's a personal thing really! Are you interested in law?! And not just the exciting criminal stuff! Can you face reading 50 page cases and trying to analyse every fact to see what's important?
    If you're worried that you might not have the aptitude for law maybe you should try do Law through Arts and then you can drop it if you want to! i actually went that route myself but for me it was more due to my awful LC!

The lecturers are all good and are all willing to help. All have different styles though so you'll find some better than others and some classes more interesting. Apparently you'll have some amazing business lecturer as well. He seems to be a personal favourite amongst many!

In first year you'll be studying contract and constitutional law. Not the most exciing but they are interesting and not impossible either!
    Well I love reading, English & Business topics. I love books about Law courses etc, We've covered Contract Law in Business (only touched on it however) , what does constitutional law entail?

Well I love reading, English & Business topics. I love books about Law courses etc, We've covered Contract Law in Business (only touched on it however) , what does constitutional law entail?

You have a good basis there so :)

Contract law is nothing like in LC Business! four starters there are only 4 characteristics of a contract! It's a grand subject though!

Const is all based on different articles in the constitution and interpreting them. There is an awful lot of reading for that. It's not as straightforward as contract. There's a heirarchy amongst rights and Const cases are never simple!

You have a good basis there so :)

Contract law is nothing like in LC Business! four starters there are only 4 characteristics of a contract! It's a grand subject though!

Const is all based on different articles in the constitution and interpreting them. There is an awful lot of reading for that. It's not as straightforward as contract. There's a heirarchy amongst rights and Const cases are never simple!
    Thanks so much for all the helpful advice! :D.. I think I will be applying for this course, however i'm also interested in the BCL Law & Arts Course.. Is NUIM a nice college to go to?.

Thanks so much for all the helpful advice! :D.. I think I will be applying for this course, however i'm also interested in the BCL Law & Arts Course.. Is NUIM a nice college to go to?.

No probs! :)

NUIM is awesome! I actually love it here! It's the smallest university in Ireland so it's really just like it's own little community. Everyone knows everyone, everyone gets on with everyone (Mostly!). it's small so you're never too far away from somewhere. it's my favourite place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Abdul Abhaile

I'm not doing that course but I am nearly finished 1st year Law so I'm in class with all 1st yr Law students and it is absolutely brilliant. Constitutional law can be a bit dull at time but if you're argumentitive you'll love contract law.

• Advertisement

NUIM is awesome! I actually love it here! It's the smallest university in Ireland so it's really just like it's own little community. Everyone knows everyone, everyone gets on with everyone (Mostly!). it's small so you're never too far away from somewhere. it's my favourite place!
    Awh that's good! I'm from Longford so NUIM would probably be the perfect size of college not too big, not too small!. I really think this is the course for me I also love arguing so that's a plus! :D, Are there any Master Degrees Available in NUIM after this course?. Thanks again so much, you've been so helpful! :D

Awh that's good! I'm from Longford so NUIM would probably be the perfect size of college not too big, not too small!. I really think this is the course for me I also love arguing so that's a plus! :D, Are there any Master Degrees Available in NUIM after this course?. Thanks again so much, you've been so helpful! :D

And yup there sure are! Not sure of the specifics but there are law masters in NUIM!

Advertisement