Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

5 Best games ever

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

paperwork wrote: »
    Oh and a special mention goes out to Bayou Billy!

Lol. I heard the japanese version is quite good since they didn't dial up the difficulty level to insane levels like for the western release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭paperwork

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Lol. I heard the japanese version is quite good since they didn't dial up the difficulty level to insane levels like for the western release.

Man i loved it, it was one of those games I learned to love based solely on the fact that i owned it... that and Shaq Fu! My friend Chris and I really loved Shaq Fu...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Dear lord :(

I suppose we all have our shameful games. As a castlevania fan I shold hate Castlevania Adventure but love it since I played it so much on the Gameboy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Luap

Zelda A Link To The Past.
    Pokemon Red.
    Nfs Underground.
    FF VII :P
    Pro Evo 6

Had to mix it up or it would contain a mere 5 Rpg's.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Man i loved it, it was one of those games I learned to love based solely on the fact that i owned it... that and Shaq Fu! My friend Chris and I really loved Shaq Fu...

Don't even wait to get your coat, just leave, quietly by the servants entrance, try not to make a scene....

Liking Shaq-Fu could earn you a thrashing in some of the more formal, martial A&R forums, think yourself lucky sir!

Why not enjoy something cool, like Halo or Warhammer:Firewarrior?? :)

Fave games this few minutes?
    Mario Picross on GB
    Boulder Dash on C64 via VC
    Metropolis Street Racer on DC
    Mario Pinball Land on GBA
    StarGlider 2 on Speccy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Wow, going by your track record Ciderman I thought you'd have loved Shaq Fu :P

It's mediocrity in his FPS games he likes. The man does have some taste :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well, I'll take the latter compliment and, what can I say, once you venture outside of the mainstream in fps and into the cheap, half finished, knock off arena, there are some short term thrills to be had, especially if you lower your expectations, a bit like hiring 2 €50 hookers instead of going for one at €120.
    Just something I heard somewhere.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

I thought of 5!

1. Dick Tracy (C64)
    2. ET (Atari 2600)
    3. The Simpsons Wrestling (PSX)
    4. Trevor McFur In The Crescent Galaxy (Jaguar)
    5. Hard Drivin' (C64)
    :)

Pyongyang wrote: »
    I thought of 5!

1. Dick Tracy (C64)
    2. ET (Atari 2600)
    5. Hard Drivin' (C64)

LOL :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭CDH

1. Chrono Trigger (SNES/DS)
    2. Okami (PS2/Wii)
    3. A Link To The Past/ Majoras Mask/ Wind Waker ( Can't Decide)
    4. Rez (DC/PS2)
    5. Dragon Quest VIII (Ps2)

I thought of 5!

1. Dick Tracy (C64)
    2. ET (Atari 2600)
    5. Hard Drivin' (C64)

wait a minute, oh, right...
    Any minute now Retr0 will throw up the Halo games...

Any second...

Just hold on....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Cots1

I thought of 5!

1. Dick Tracy (C64)
    2. ET (Atari 2600)
    5. Hard Drivin' (C64)

There it is Simpsons Wrestling, looking for this game recently read a few reviews turns out its poop, but i had my greatest gaming night ever playing this in my cousins.

CDH wrote: »
    1. Chrono Trigger (SNES/DS)
    2. Okami (PS2/Wii)
    3. A Link To The Past/ Majoras Mask/ Wind Waker ( Can't Decide)
    4. Rez (DC/PS2)
    5. Dragon Quest VIII (Ps2)

I never fully got into Okami... maybe i should try the DS version.

Cots1 wrote: »
    There it is Simpsons Wrestling, looking for this game recently read a few reviews turns out its poop, but i had my greatest gaming night ever playing this in my cousins.

I'd rather be startled by a melange of naked midgets vomiting in each others ears while getting electroshock therapy and being force fed spoonfuls of hippo diarreah than play any of the 5 games I listed.

Especially Hard Drivin'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Cots1

I'd rather be startled by a melange of naked midgets vomiting in each others ears while getting electroshock therapy and being force fed spoonfuls of hippo diarreah than play any of the 5 games I listed.

Especially Hard Drivin'.

Yeah i know its weird all i remember is how much fun it was, better not play it again just in case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Trying to think of the worst games I've ever played.

Driv3r is definitely top of the list.

Metal Gear Solid is up there too. Ridiculous twitchy controls and stealth really wasn't important at all.

I bought the GC remake because I thought analog controls would improve things. It didn't, they just remapped the twitchy controls to the analog stick.

Final Fight on the SNES was a huge disappointment too. No Guy or two player.

Mortal Kombat II on the Mega Drive was pretty bad too. Most of the juggles found in the arcade (and far superior SNES port) were gone, leaving a really toned down version of the game with bad sound.

Master of the Universe

Metal Gear Solid is up there too. Ridiculous twitchy controls and stealth really wasn't important at all.

Ye wha?!

Final Fight on the SNES was a huge disappointment too. No Guy or two player.

It was a disappointment because of no Guy or two player, but it's not a bad game. If you want to play as Guy then get Final Fight Guy. Unfortunately there's still no two player though.
    Mortal Kombat II on the Mega Drive was pretty bad too. Most of the juggles found in the arcade (and far superior SNES port) were gone, leaving a really toned down version of the game with bad sound.

It's not the best game in the world, but I wouldn't call it bad.

I dunno man, in a world of Dark Castle, Superman 64, Daikatana, Custer's Revenge and Shaq Fu, you could have picked a lot worse! :D

And once again, a massive 'Ye wha?!' at MGS!

It's more a really disappointing port. It's no Rise of the Robots. However taking out the combos and the fact that it doesn't play close to the arcade game make it a terrible fighting game. It There's no depth to it.

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    I dunno man, in a world of Dark Castle, Superman 64, Daikatana, Custer's Revenge and Shaq Fu, you could have picked a lot worse! :D

And once again, a massive 'Ye wha?!' at MGS!

I've never played those games outside of emulation just to see how bad they are, so I didn't count them.

The games I listed are games I paid money for. More often than not it was saved up pocket money.

MGS has horrible controls, which completely put me off the game and you don't need to be stealthy at all to complete the game.

Tap left or right and Snake will do a quick ninety degree turn instead of just turning or moving slightly. Got very annoying very quickly and in the GC remake it was unfortunately the same.

I was used to the arcade version of MK II. My brother and cousin bought it for Mega Drive on the day of release and it was so bad in comparison.

Master of the Universe

There's nothing wrong with the controls in MGS. The problem must have been between the controller and the chair :p

If you weren't being stealthy in that game you were doing it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭pmurphy00

lomu rugby
    pro evo
    goldeneye
    resident evil 2
    mario 64

o1s1n wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with the controls in MGS. The problem must have been between the controller and the chair :p

If you weren't being stealthy in that game you were doing it wrong.

TBH the controls in MGS are very complicated, I hadn't much trouble but I can see how they can be and some functions were confusing starting out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

TBH the controls in MGS are very complicated, I hadn't much trouble but I can see how they can be and some functions were confusing starting out.
    The hold square and x to run and shoot standing out as an odd choice...!

I can see where chopper is coming from, I bought it purely on hype and first time I played it I didn't take to it at all and back on the pile it went. Came back to it a few weeks later and was hooked though.

Cube version's even better :pac:

The most annoying was when you took aim and then decided not to shot. It was either a weird button combination so you wouldn't shoot of in later ones you had to ease off the shoot button slowly on a pressure senstive button that wasn't all that sensitive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Half Life 1 (PC)
    Zelda 3 (SNES)
    Sonic 2 (MD)
    Street Fighter 2 CE (ARCADE)
    Civilsation 2 (PC)

Just to clarify, I had no problem with the button config, just the twitchy controls for actually moving your character.

Extremely annoying and was something a lot of PS1 games suffered from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

By Jove your on to something there chopper.
    I couldn't pin point why many PS1 games put me off:Jittery hyper sensitive controls.
    I never got into ps1 games.As a whole must of the games were just off putting,both in graphical terms,presentation and controls.
    Maybe I was tainted by the Sega style.I just loved megadrive,32x, Saturn and Dreamcast.I always saw the PS as childs toy when it came out.
    Each to their own I suppose

I can't say I ever had a problem with any of the PS1 controls, particular to the PS1.
    Rather I think we were entering into a generation of videogames that demanded control in a 3D environment but with the added complication of an often unwieldy camera, also often in the control of the player, on the same controller.
    Since then control has become almost standardised across genres and formats but there was a time when this was all being found out, by trial and error, and like Betamax, VHS, BluRay, HD-DVD and all the rest many were weeded out and a pretty standard control model was, perhaps unconsciously, agreed.
    When you play early PS games, and I think I have mentioned this recently, you are delving into the early days of 3D gaming, along with the Saturn and N64, the latter at least launched with a controller designed with such games in mind.
    The PS and Saturn both had old school d-pads and buttons for the first while, before the analog stick became ubiquitous.

I have to say though PS gaming, after the first gen of games, took off like a rocket, innovating again and again, no problems with controls, just look at Gran Turismo, Ace Combat 3 or Ape Escape.
    Perhaps it was simply the idiosyncratic controls of MGS that put you off, I have to say that a little time with it and you got used to it, and I guess the role you assumed was one of a stealthy agent so that's the way I played.

MGS4 I walked/slept through, no stealth for me! Dozed off during Raidens final battle and woke to find I had won! I'm an awesome gamer even in my sleep!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I've never played those games outside of emulation just to see how bad they are, so I didn't count them.

The games I listed are games I paid money for. More often than not it was saved up pocket money.

MGS has horrible controls, which completely put me off the game and you don't need to be stealthy at all to complete the game.

Tap left or right and Snake will do a quick ninety degree turn instead of just turning or moving slightly. Got very annoying very quickly and in the GC remake it was unfortunately the same.

I was used to the arcade version of MK II. My brother and cousin bought it for Mega Drive on the day of release and it was so bad in comparison.

But surely one of the great things about MGS was it's versatility? Sure, you didn't need to be stealthy, but if you actually cared about playing the game right, you would try to be stealthy. And if you had played the game 10 times already(which I had) then you could have a bit of a laugh with the stealth camo and a FA-MAS.

Must say, I never had a problem with the controls, when I play through it over the summer now I'll be on the look out...granted the 90 degree turns are annoying in the first one, but it was the 90's after all.

Sorry to sound like a fan-boy, it's just I absolutely love MGS. Possibly my favourite PS1 game. :)

• Advertisement

I never got into MGS on the PSOne either, I felt the controls were a bit clunky…
    As a kid I was really into MSG on the NES, was one of my favourite games, and I don’t know if you guys noticed, but the PS version was very different… probably acted as a bit of a block for me.

…Speaking of, does anyone remember Perfect Dark on the Gameboy Colour? Is it just my imagination or was that very similar to the old MGS games.

Re: Not being steathy in MGS,
    Sure that would be akin to being stealthy in Doom!
    Ha ha, you imps, watch me tip toe!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

…Speaking of, does anyone remember Perfect Dark on the Gameboy Colour? Is it just my imagination or was that very similar to the old MGS games.

Just playing it last night I got a new battery for the rumble feature. It plays kinda like MGS of old but is only mediocre at best, I find the controls to spongy

As a kid I was really into MSG on the NES, was one of my favourite games, and I don’t know if you guys noticed, but the PS version was very different… probably acted as a bit of a block for me.

Really don't get the love for Metal Gear on the NES, thought it was one of the worst games I ever played. The MSX game is so much better due mainly to the fact that it's actually playable.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭da gamer

really is one of the hardest questions ever. id have to think really long and hard to give a definitive answer. im not sure about the 5 best games ever but the 5 games that mean the most to me would probably be-

- super mario bros
    - zelda links awakening
    - final fantasy 7
    - resident evil
    - goldeney 64

Really don't get the love for Metal Gear on the NES, thought it was one of the worst games I ever played. The MSX game is so much better due mainly to the fact that it's actually playable.

Yeah but then you have to go on the long quest to find someone who actually HAS an MSX! Took me about 15 years, and even at that I had to pay into some exhibit in Amsterdam to use it...

MSX emulation isn't too bad though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

Msx is a powerhouse,games are very expensive,way more than nes/mastersystem,usually konami titles go for €40+ thats just unboxed ones!.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ladypip

1. Flimbos quest
    2. Sonic 1
    3. Super Mario bros
    4. Tetris
    5. Dizzy

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭TheBunk1

5. Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    4. Shining Force 2
    3. GTA San Andreas
    2. Sensible Soccer
    1. Half-life & Half-life 2 (Ep. 1 & 2) (I can't separate em so they count as one :))

• Advertisement

Current fave 5 games ever...

Burning Rangers
    Einhander
    Trashman
    Tempest 2000
    Transformers (on PS2, the first one, no not that one, the other one, the good one!)

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Trashman

A fine choice! If you like Trashman, try Hover Bovver by Jeff Minter.

Went back to burning rangers recently. Time hasn't been kind. The Firemen is still the ultimate fire fighting game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 JamieDOC

ok here's my definitive top 5 games:pac:

1.Metal Gear Solid(PS1):D
    2.Mass Effect(Xbox 360)
    3.Micro Machines Turbo Tournament 96(Mega Drive)
    4.MediEvil(PS1)
    5.Call Of Duty 2(Xbox 360)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

In no order

.Shadow of the colossus
    .Sonic the hedgehog (Megadrive)
    .Sonic 2
    .bioshock
    .metal gear solid 3

In no order

.Shadow of the colossus
    .Sonic the hedgehog (Megadrive)

First I was like :eek:

Then I read it again. Thought it said Shadow the Hedgehog!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

First I was like :eek:

Then I read it again. Thought it said Shadow the Hedgehog!

Lol never played shadow the hedgehog is it that bad

I was going to say

Haze
    Lair
    Folklore
    Warhawk

then I remember my PS3 is dead and I am sad
    but then I remember those games were pants and I'm happy again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Sparks43 wrote: »
    1 Boulder Dash(C64)
    2 Zelda Link to the past (SNES)
    3 Super Mario World(SNES)
    4 Bubble Bobble (Arcade)
    5 Magicland Dizzy (C64)

:cool::cool::cool::cool:

Also 5 worst

1 Halo
    2 Dinorex
    3 Pokemon
    4 All the CD-I Zeldas
    5 Mad Martha
    :D

Strangely enough my top 5 hasn't changed :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42 Circus_O

Broken sword
    Baldurs gate
    Mass effect
    Planescape torment
    Jade empire

Series' included beacuse dammit that's how they're meant to be played one after another! And yes I do love my rpgs :cool:

Advertisement