Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

5 Best games ever

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 GameBeaker000

1, 2, 3, 4 and 5. Space Invaders

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Zombie thread reanimation?
    Are we that bored?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

while the thread is zombified I may as well add my 5

1. Shenmue 2
    2. Final Fantasy X
    3. Championship Manager 00/01
    4. Guardian Heroes
    5. Shining The Holy Ark

others who would be contenders for a top 10 or top 20 include.

Burnout Takedown/Revenge, GTA 3/Vice City, Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance, Dungeon & Dragons Heroes, Gauntlet Legends, Zelda: Link's Awakening, Mega-Lo-Mania, Needs For Speed: Most Wanted, SSX Tricky, Wakeboarding Unleashed, Dynamite Heady, Tiger 2004, Resident Evil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

while the thread is zombified I may as well add my 5

1. Shenmue 2
    2. Final Fantasy X
    3. Championship Manager 00/01
    4. Guardian Heroes
    5. Shining The Holy Ark

others who would be contenders for a top 10 or top 20 include.

Burnout Takedown/Revenge, GTA 3/Vice City, Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance, Dungeon & Dragons Heroes, Gauntlet Legends, Zelda: Link's Awakening, Mega-Lo-Mania, Needs For Speed: Most Wanted, SSX Tricky, Wakeboarding Unleashed, Dynamite Heady, Tiger 2004, Resident Evil
    Thought I'd try and provide feedback on someones choices, maybe get this thread going again.

Wakeboarding over Tony Hawks?! Admittedly only played a demo of it once.

Baldurs Gate: DA over actual Baldurs Gate? I did really enjoy DS though, I love loot hack n slash games like it.

And Tiger 04? What makes that years edition stand out?

Also, no Mario?!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

As it's an illegally resurrected zombie thread i'll say...

Left 4 Dead 2
    EternalDarkness
    Silent Hill 2
    Resident Evil remake
    Stubbs the Zombie!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Pillow pets
    Cooking Mama
    Barbie {NES}
    Darius
    Fifa 97

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Thought I'd try and provide feedback on someones choices, maybe get this thread going again.

Wakeboarding over Tony Hawks?! Admittedly only played a demo of it once.

Baldurs Gate: DA over actual Baldurs Gate? I did really enjoy DS though, I love loot hack n slash games like it.

And Tiger 04? What makes that years edition stand out?

Also, no Mario?!

after the top 5 they're in no particular order, so not specifically putting wakeboarding ahead of hawks.
    but it's definitely worth a go if you can get it cheap, as it works on 360.

never played the original BG, so can't really make a comparison.

Tiger '04 had some quality fantasy courses (something I miss in 360 era) and was the first one where you created your own golfer, and also brought in the first proper career mode, with Real Time Events based on the date set on your console.

And no, there's no mario games that I rate highly enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

Sensible soccer, sonic1, re1, re2, bounty bob strikes back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Casey120

Only five is totally impossible but for now ,

Super Mario World
    Stunt Car Racer (multiplayer 2 amiga's linked )
    Mario 64
    Ketsui
    Space harrier DLX Arcade

My criteria for my absolutely favourite games are the ones that were completely unputdownable. Those gems that only come along a handful of times each generation, that just unexpectedly blow you away, and whose sequel is probably bigger and better, but doesn't have the same impact on you.

I've only played a limited number of them in 20+ years of gaming, but it's more than 5, so here's them all, starting with the oldest first.

• Super Mario Bros 3 on the NES (awesome game, just awesome. A close second is Super mario world, and i loved the mario all stars version on the snes, but for an 8-bit title from 1988, this had so much ambition in it it was insane.
    • Legend of Zelda: A link to the past on the SNES (so awesome that i only replay it every few years so that I'll forget where everything is and enjoy it again with the same sense of head-scratching, wandering around the place bewilderment i got from it the first time around)
    • Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo Hyper fighting, both on the SNES and in the Arcade (because both coexisted at the time).
    • Mario Kart 64 on the N64
    • Tomb Raider 2 on the Playstation 1
    • Rachet and clank 2 on the PS2 (brilliant, and very funny 3D platformer shooter)
    • GTA Vice city on the PS2
    • God of war 1 on the PS2 (amazing game, redefined what was possible in 3Daction/platforming gaming for me completely.
    • Halo 2 on The Xbox (hmmm, online multiplayer mode....what's that?)
    • Halo 3 on the Xbox 360 (basically just improved on number 2 in ways i couldn't have imagined and added so much replay value to a game it couldn't fail to impress, one of the best €50 i ever spent)
    • Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix on the XBox 360
    • Batman Arkham Asylum on Xbox 360 (Still the best licensed superhero game ever made, blew me away, and has incredible replay value)

• Advertisement

Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix on the XBox 360

You've got to be kidding, one of the best games ever??! It's graphically & musically very nice, but the game just isn't right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

EnterNow wrote: »
    You've got to be kidding, one of the best games ever??! It's graphically & musically very nice, but the game just isn't right

I agree with you on this one 100 percent. I'm no SF expert but it just doesn't feel right for some reason.

Steve SI wrote: »
    I agree with you on this one 100 percent. I'm no SF expert but it just doesn't feel right for some reason.

I'm no expert either, but this game isn't sure what it wants to be. It's a weird SF4 meets SSF2T kinda mechanic that just doesn't 'fee' like a Street Fighter game

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,887 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Not sure any of the Halo games would be all time classics. One of the first FPS games on console that could stand toe to toe with PC FPS games isn't really something that could make something stand out as a classic.

FPS games age really badly as well with only stuff like Doom with it's no nonsense blasting standing the test of time. Games like Deus Ex and System Shock 2 would be considered all time greats as well but also it's because there's nothing quite like them, I'm sure a modern developer could marry the RPG elements of these games and make better ones with modern hindsight. Unfortunately the market won't let that happen and the only game that's really come close to them was Bioshock which was a very watered down version of System Shock 2.

I'm no expert either, but this game isn't sure what it wants to be. It's a weird SF4 meets SSF2T kinda mechanic that just doesn't 'fee' like a Street Fighter game
    Steve SI wrote: »

Hmmm. I could refer you to my very lengthy posts on this topic on other forums, but i'll save you the trouble. I'm pretty into street fighter, particularly the older games, and one of my very faves is super street fighter 2 turbo, of which this is an update, graphically, musically, but most importantly in terms of game balance (and i'm talking about the nerdy, move properties, frame counting, type of game balance that goes very deep and bores/passes by most people).

The original version of the game is one of the most revered versions of street fighter. People play it competitively to this day, but a big part of the gameplay was some of the bugs in the code, and some of the wierd balancing issues that the game had. A lot of people loved it for those, and a lot of people (of which i'm one) loved it in spite of it.

HD remix came out and did an admirable (to my mind) job of rebalancing many of these issues and tweaking many many minor details that most non expert players wouldn't notice, but which at higher level play made quite a difference to game balance, and also did away with some of the stupid bugs. It also contained (and still contains) the single best netcode of any fighting game ever released on a console, and offered a kind of low-lag connection that hasn't been seen in any fighter since then.

The lick of paint it got in the graphical and sound department was a nice bonus, and i genuinely liked it, but the main reasons i loved the game was all the other stuff. Many old school Super turbo players say they hated it, many liked it, and it very much split the community down the middle, but it offered a really excellent online experience, and a readymade community of players who were very into their game to play with 24/7, for a long time after it launched, and i spent a lot of time in the top 100 on XBL playing it pretty religiously, so that's why it made my list.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,887 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think SSF2THDR did a great job of balancing the game but the art and music are woeful.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I think SSF2THDR did a great job of balancing the game but the art and music are woeful.

I liked the art, didn't enjoy the music, but loved the rebalance. Besides, it didn't really matter, you could switch off any or all of the changed features if you wanted to and revert back to the original rules, music, and graphics, but still get the online community.

For a €15 game i thought it was really excellent.

You couldn't really revert back to the original art though, you could change back to the original sprites or backgrounds, can't remember which, but one of them retained the awful flash game look while the other remained pixelated and it looked jarring.

Definitely found it one of the weakest SF games.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

If you guys want to discuss SF I'll create a new thread and move the posts. That kind of conversation is far to good to have it in a zombified 'x best games ever' thread.

• Advertisement

As a tournament level fighter it's fantastic, probably the best iteration of the SF2 series but it's more the aesthetics that put me off. I really hate that high resolution, low detail flash animation look.

You couldn't really revert back to the original art though, you could change back to the original sprites or backgrounds, can't remember which, but one of them retained the awful flash game look while the other remained pixelated and it looked jarring.

Hmmm. You might be right. It's a while since i played it, and i mostly played it in HD with the new graphics. Will check it later.

I don't think i'd agree that one of the halo games wouldn't make it onto that list, maybe 2 or probably 3, as it had quite a large scope and delivered well on it, and was pretty revolutionary fro console gameplay at the time, which is a big part of a "greatest games ever" badge. I take your point that halo was basically apeing a formula that PC games had been doing for years, but i think it pushed the console boundaries forward and spearheaded a whole new sub-genre of games (for better or worse) on the platform. Unfortunately that seems to have led us to where we are now, with wall to wall FPS tedium on modern consoles, but that's another topic for another thread....

I think some of the series was a landmark in gaming, and i can only offer my opinion, which might not get a lot of support in A&R, but i think it will be remembered as a high water mark of the current & last generation.

LoGiE wrote: »
    If you guys want to discuss SF I'll create a new thread and move the posts. That kind of conversation is far to good to have it in a zombified 'x best games ever' thread.

Sure, if anybody else is up for it. I can talk street fighter 2 theory till the cows come home...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

Populous
    Final Fantasy VII
    Shadowrun
    Super Mario Kart
    Red Dead Redemption

I don't think i'd agree that one of the halo games wouldn't make it onto that list, maybe 2 or probably 3, as it had quite a large scope and delivered well on it, and was pretty revolutionary fro console gameplay at the time, which is a big part of a "greatest games ever" badge. I take your point that halo was basically apeing a formula that PC games had been doing for years, but i think it pushed the console boundaries forward and spearheaded a whole new sub-genre of games (for better or worse) on the platform. Unfortunately that seems to have led us to where we are now, with wall to wall FPS tedium on modern consoles, but that's another topic for another thread....

See that's the thing. You are basing the reason of the games greatness because of what platform it is on. For me the platform the game is on shouldn't matter, it should be a great game regardless of what it appears on. I guess I was lucky at the time because from 2000 onwards I owned practically every platform games could appear on that was relevant. I think games should be judged on how good they are and not on the basis of how good they are in relation to other games on the same platform

You tell 'em 6/10 boy!

think games should be judged on how good they are and not on the basis of how good they are in relation to other games on the same platform

Ideally yes, but then in an industry that goes through constant technological advancement, where platforms get better and better, which itself has a bearing on how "good" the game is, how can you have an objective assesment of what makes one game better than another, if they are from different generation or platforms, which bring their own constraints. I think making reference to the limitations of the platform or the time period is important.

For example, if you look at my original list, it's got games on it that are 20 years old along with games that are 2. The only gauge i have to class them as "great" is how much i enjoyed them. Look at Zelda from 1991/92 and compare it's graphics, scope, sound, etc to something like halo or batman AA, and on paper you'd have a no contest, the newer gen games would win comfortably. Modern games allow for massive scope that older technology didn't, yet i probably enjoyed Zelda more than any other game on that list, and it was undoubtedly one of the premier games on that platform at the time.

Without having respect to the platform/time period, how do you draw up criteria for what defines a "good" game, when the goalposts are permanently moving, and when the only constant (ie: the level of enjoyment the game offers the player) is subjective?

Oh, to say that Batman AA is "better" than Zelda LttP is like saying that Tangled is better than Dumbo!
    Batman is lovely, looks great, sounds great but, it could be argued, it takes the reins a lot in combat, reducing complex fighting moves to single button presses, a notch or two above QTE's.
    Zelda's music is timeless and beautiful, just because it is not being played back at CD quality and by a choir and orchestra does not reduce it's merit one jot.
    Zelda's visuals, similarly, are perfect, the Snes imagining of the Zelda-verse forming the template for all games to follow in the series, aside from Windwaker and the DS titles.

Gamers like ourselves tend to be platform agnostic, not really minding the hardware as much as the game being played on it.
    Doesn't matter if the console has one good game, the Jaguar with Tempest 2000, or has hundreds, the PS2, it's all about the games.
    I don't own one console that can't play a good game, this is because whats the point?

I digress because I believe we are going to get vintage agnostic as well, if not already.
    I think most "retro gamers" are such people, happy to play Skyrim, Mario Kart 7 and Mass Effect 3 as well as play Galaga, Gunstar Heroes and.... Goldenaxe....
    Doesn't matter when it hails from, a good game transcends individual qualities to become something more.
    There are plenty of polished, good looking, great sounding games that just don't cut the mustard, who will play Uncharted in 10 years time?

Have to disagree there. Just because film moved to colour or included CGI didnt mean old films were terrible. A good game like a good film will stand the test of time even if the platform or technology moves on. case in point you mention Zelda, I presume a Link to the Past when you say 1991, and compare it to Halo and Batman AA. Zelda LttP is a much better game hands down. Even in terms of graphics and sound that you mention, the soundtack and simple colourful 2D graphics of LttP look fantastic far better than those two games. In a few years time the overly shiny shaders and other technical hiccups are going to make Halo and Batman AA lookvery dated. On the other hand a game like Wind Waker with a timeless art style still looks amazing today.

The goal posts most certainly aren't moving. A good game will be timeless just like good music, literature or film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

1. Doom
    2. Super Mario World
    3. Sonic 2
    4. GTA Vice City
    5. Gran Turismo 2

Today my 5 best games ever are as follows...

LHX Attack Chopper- Megadrive
    Christ on a bike but spent a lot of time with this low framerate piece of loveliness!
    Out in the desert, in a super helicopter, toasting camels with stingers, classy!

Road Rash 2- Megadrive
    I lurve the 3DO game, but this iteration was brilliant, slight downer was having to choose between music and sound fx but otherwise it was great, those damn turbo charged bikes, that Diablo!! I got this in '93, for my 21st birthday, along with a copy of LOTR's, two timeless classics!

Manic Miner- Spectrum
    Just brilliant fun, not the unfinishable mess that JSW was. Brilliant, inventive, and all on the Spectrum 48k as well.

Star Control 2- 3DO
    So big! So funny! And scary at times too.
    The game has intrigue, it has puppetmasters behind evil doers, it has everything along with a battle system that was a multiplayer staple.

MSR- DC
    Kudos to Bizarre from bringing us this gem of a game, I still play it from time to time, I still suck at it too :( But it is lovely, and it has aged at least as well as the first two Gotham games on the Xbox, if not better with it's real time clock and radio stations.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I got this in '63, for my 21st birthday, along with a copy of LOTR's, two timeless classics!

There you have it folks

Hmmm, yes, it's true I got Road Rash 2 in 1963... if only I'd thought of patenting it back then, although I may have been burned at the stake as a witch if I had a working Megadrive in '63.
    Of course, Retr0 was yet to be born and so the world would have to wait another 20 years or so before his opinions would be heard... they were good times indeed...

Of course, Retr0 was yet to be born and so the world would have to wait another 20 years or so before his opinions would be heard... they were good times indeed...

:D:D

It was funny, people looked at me like I was insane, a 21 year old who played video games.
    It seems to have followed me forever.
    Like, when I was 30 it was ok to be a teenager playing games but a 30 year old should have more sense.
    Now I'm 40 it seems that there remains some age, and age I am no longer, that it is ok to be a gamer but certainly not the age I am now!!
    If I was a boozed up pub goer (no offense Atavan) who spent much of his time staring at womens "attributes" and talking about football I'd be typical, almost acceptable.
    But should I mention my collection to someone and you can actually see their expressions change as they wonder how this man/child stands before them....

• Advertisement

It was funny, people looked at me like I was insane, a 21 year old who played video games.
    It seems to have followed me forever.
    Like, when I was 30 it was ok to be a teenager playing games but a 30 year old should have more sense.
    Now I'm 40 it seems that there remains some age, and age I am no longer, that it is ok to be a gamer but certainly not the age I am now!!
    If I was a boozed up pub goer (no offense Atavan) who spent much of his time staring at womens "attributes" and talking about football I'd be typical, almost acceptable.
    But should I mention my collection to someone and you can actually see their expressions change as they wonder how this man/child stands before them....

You don't look at women's attributes?????

Well... I do, I just don't linger on them to the point of I look like I'm training to be their gynecologist.
    One can appreciate a handsome woman without forgetting to raise the eyes above their chest.
    That said, there is something to said for a fine set of stems it has to be said....

edit... what's this got to do with 5 favourite games, unless cleavage gazing is in your top 5!

Well... I do, I just don't linger on them to the point of I look like I'm training to be their gynecologist.
    One can appreciate a handsome woman without forgetting to raise the eyes above their chest.
    That said, there is something to said for a fine set of stems it has to be said....

edit... what's this got to do with 5 favourite games, unless cleavage gazing is in your top 5!

It is :D

Zelda's music is timeless and beautiful, just because it is not being played back at CD quality and by a choir and orchestra does not reduce it's merit one jot.
    Zelda's visuals, similarly, are perfect, the Snes imagining of the Zelda-verse forming the template for all games to follow in the series...

See this is the point of view i hold as well. My primary gauge of what a "great" game is is how good the level of immersion, the playing experience is, the revelations during the game, etc, and technicalities like the graphics, sound, etc, are secondary to all that. If they help the experience, great, but that's not essential. Regardless of up-to-date graphics and technology, there probably hasn't been a game on modern consoles that captivated me as much as Zelda: A link to the past, or Super mario world, or super mario bros 3 did back in the day. A few have come close, but it wasn't primarily because of graphics, sound etc. It was gameplay, story, and immersion. That's where games HAD to excel years ago, because graphics alone back then weren't enough to sell a game. If your gameplay was bad or had no depth, you were found out a lot more easily.

The overall scope of the experience (due to increased levels of storage) is probably the only facet of modern gaming that i would say might have a bearing on how current gen technology may be able to offer a superior experience over retro in terms of game experience and character development/characterisation, but even that advantage only makes a game better because it allows it to pack in more of the same immersion, more experience, more emotional involvement onto a game disc. Without those things, a game just won't grab me the same way regardless of the level of polish.
    There are plenty of polished, good looking, great sounding games that just don't cut the mustard, who will play Uncharted in 10 years time?

Not me anyway. While i can appreciate a whizz through of uncharted, I've only ever played each game once, had no further interest, then traded them in. They are quite a passive experience, like watching a Hollywood blockbuster action movie that you see once, then forget forever as soon as you leave the cinema, and the "on rails" nature of them means there's less and less to appreciate each time.

That's not what grabs me in a game. It's like being in a relationship with a girl who's really beautiful, but who has zero personality. Unless you're similarly shallow, appreciation of looks will only get you so far before boredom sets in and you crave something with more depth.

Ideally, with games AND girls, you want to play with one that's got both :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Regardless of up-to-date graphics and technology, there probably hasn't been a game on modern consoles that captivated me as much as Zelda: A link to the past, or Super mario world, or super mario bros 3 did back in the day. A few have come close, but it wasn't primarily because of graphics, sound etc. It was gameplay, story, and immersion. That's where games HAD to excel years ago, because graphics alone back then weren't enough to sell a game. If your gameplay was bad or had no depth, you were found out a lot more easily. :D

I have to say, although the most recent game I chose in my top 5 was released in 2002, if any truly "modern" game would have made the list it would have been between Super Mario Galaxy 2 and the latest Zelda offering, Skyward Sword.

I know they're the two biggest gaming franchises in the world and thus get serious budget put into each game, but almost every game that comes along in both series' still has a level of imagination, immersion and playability above any others. And those beautiful scores in the modern ones don't hurt either.

There's something magical about how games that are clearly aimed at children can hook me, at 29, the same way as their previous incarnations did when I was 7 or 8, and much more than more gritty, modern style games aimed at the 18+ market.

• Advertisement

The overall scope of the experience (due to increased levels of storage) is probably the only facet of modern gaming that i would say might have a bearing on how current gen technology may be able to offer a superior experience over retro in terms of game experience and character development/characterisation, but even that advantage only makes a game better because it allows it to pack in more of the same immersion, more experience, more emotional involvement onto a game disc. Without those things, a game just won't grab me the same way regardless of the level of polish.

Again stuff like character development/characterisation and even immersion have nothing to do with modern technology but more to do with the writing and making the best use of the technology available. No game has affected me emotionally more than Earthbound and Mother 3 and both of those are presented in 2D. There's very few modern games that come close to the atmosphere and immersion of Silent Hill 2, a game that worked within the limitations of the hardware to achieve this. And then there's super metroid, a game dripping in atmosphere and that was on the lowly SNES.

Great graphics and storage for dialogue didn't help Heavy Rain be badly written dreck. It was Deadly Premonition, a game that would look embarassing on the Dreamcast that I found more engaging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

1.Streets of Rage
    2.Metal Gear Solid 3
    3.Red Dead Redemption
    4.Mass Effect 2
    5. Borderlands

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

System Shock 2
    MGS
    Street Fighter 2 Turbo
    Super Mario 3
    Resident Evil 4... no wait 2... no 1

Again stuff like character development/characterisation and even immersion have nothing to do with modern technology but more to do with the writing and making the best use of the technology available....

I think we're in agreement here, albeit from different angles...i think...

I think it's great if the technology of the day affords the devs more scope to do things that will add to the game experience, but without the achievement of actually doing that (which is the laudible thing here, rather than the technology itself) it's for nothing.

The majority of my fave games have pushed the technology of the day to the max in a way that greatly added to the game, which i think is a fantastic achievement, far more than just using technology for the sake of it. The achievement is in how far you can push it, and what you do with it, rather than where the technology itself happens to be at the time.

I'll use 2 different games from different time periods to illustrate my point. Once again Zelda Lttp on the snes (because it's just THAT good), and God of war on PS2.

Zelda, a link to the past. That cartridge had a staggering amount of content, vast landscapes and multiple scenarios, an entire immersive world squashed onto it (or TWO worlds, if you want to nitpick :D) and brilliant characterisation, music, storytelling, and loads more, yet within very VERY tight storage and technological boundaries. Miyamoto and co. literally squeezed the last drop out of what they could have done with the available tech at the time when that game was released. It was a staggering achievement of a game, and rightly deserving of all the praise it got. It was then then, is now, and still will be in another 20 years time.

Then take God of war, released just under 14 years later. A game that arguably set the benchmark for what the by then "getting on a bit" PS2 could do graphically and technically, it came late into the PS2's life, and it really pushed the envelope in using rendered video, orchestral score, voice acting and narration, storytelling, and large amounts of storage and content to really develop a backstory and forge an emotional bond and a desire for retribution that the player wanted more and more to be borne out as the game went on. It was an amazing achievement in gaming for the time, on one of the biggest discs the PS2 saw, and i would name it as a raising of the bar in terms of characterization and emotional development/attachment in games generally.

That level of emotional involvement with the main protagonist just wouldn't have been possible to achieve/portray on screen in the days of zelda lttp. While link is very cool and all, that game (only in my opinon) doesn't make the player develop the same level of visceral emotive connection to it's main protagonist that God of war does, simply because the technology to do it the same way didn't exist. The technology IS a factor.

HOWEVER-(and this is the key point) in terms of the level of achievement in terms of pushing the technology of the day and getting the absolute maximum possible out of it for the benefit of the overall gaming experience. I would STILL put zelda a shade ahead in terms of "greatest" game because i really think it's a monumental achievement by the devs, in that department, and in all others. The advanced technology itself doesn't matter, it's what you do with it that counts.
    the lowly SNES

The WHAT? ;)

The SNES kicked ass. Still my fave console of all time. Back when gameplay, not graphics, was what mattered. Those were better times....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

That level of emotional involvement with the main protagonist just wouldn't have been possible to achieve/portray on screen in the days of zelda lttp. While link is very cool and all, that game (only in my opinon) doesn't make the player develop the same level of visceral emotive connection to it's main protagonist that God of war does, simply because the technology to do it the same way didn't exist. The technology IS a factor..

Link isn't really much of a character though. Either are most of the main NPCs in the Zelda games. I think they're a bad example of the best emotional involvement from that era. Don't get me wrong, they're great games (ALTTP is one of my favourites) but there are much better examples of fleshed out characters on the Snes.

Take Chrono Trigger on the other hand. I'd be a lot more emotionally involved with the characters in that than God of War.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Link isn't really much of a character though.

Are you nuts! YOU are Link, immersion doesn't get better :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Are you nuts! YOU are Link, immersion doesn't get better :cool:

Maybe I'm just not much of a character so :pac:

I can't say I agree about God of War. I had absolutely no emotional involvement in the game and characters. Kratos was a shallow two dimensional character, they only word I can think of that sums him up is 'bellend'. If you don't like the character there's player empathy and you don't care about them. At least he had a reason to be angry unlike the follow up games where he was just despicable. I don't thinkthe technology added anything to the game either other than it looking pretty.

New technology is rarely used to make games better. However games that work well within the constraints of the technology or the medium are always the best ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

I got this in '93, for my 74th birthday.

FYP. :D

I would just like to mention that I played Streets of Rage this morning for an hour and I still don't like it, so no top 5 for you!

• Advertisement
Advertisement