Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

5 Best games ever

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I would just like to mention that I played Streets of Rage this morning for an hour and I still don't like it, so no top 5 for you!

I was busy playing Captain Comnando in the arcades when the lads were playing this. Ooh, and The Punisher as well. Far better games!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'm pretty sure when people say 'Streets of Rage' they in fact mean 'Streets of Rage 2'.

The difference between 1 and 2 is like the difference between Super Mario and Super Marioworld.

Streets of Rage 2 is better than Captain Commando and The Punisher - fact! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

People i know harp on about Ocarina of Time, i got loaned a copy of it for my 3ds. Not too impressed tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

People i know harp on about Ocarina of Time, i got loaned a copy of it for my 3ds. Not too impressed tbh

Keep playing it, you will be

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

o1s1n wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure when people say 'Streets of Rage' they in fact mean 'Streets of Rage 2'.

The difference between 1 and 2 is like the difference between Super Mario and Super Marioworld.

Streets of Rage 2 is better than Captain Commando and The Punisher - fact! :D

Fine, I'll see if I have a copy of SoR2 in collection, give it a go... I'm not making any promises!

Master of the Universe

EnterNow wrote: »
    Keep playing it, you will be

I wasn't too fond of it on the n64 when it came out and while I found the 3DS playthrough enjoyable, it's certainly nothing spectacular.

It's one of those 'greatest game of all time' things I just never get. Much rather PS1 games from the same era. It felt dated to me when it came out for some reason. Probably because I was used to seeing loads of textures in PS1 games.

I wasn't too fond of it on the n64 when it came out and while I found the 3DS playthrough enjoyable, it's certainly nothing spectacular.

It's one of those 'greatest game of all time' things I just never get. Much rather PS1 games from the same era. It felt dated to me when it came out for some reason. Probably because I was used to seeing loads of textures in PS1 games.

Yeah I don't think its for everyone, its a Zelda thing really. To me, LttP was better. But I do think OoT is a stunningly brilliant game too.

Also, when I think of OoT, the N64 doesn't come to mind. I just see the game as a standalone entity, I dunno why that is. It's too good to belong to something so poor maybe?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

OoT like a lot of N64 games has dated badly in many respects. If someone is coming to it new now they won't appreciate how ground breaking it was and how it set many precedents for modern 3D gaming. I do think it is a bit over rated and doesn't hold up well in some respects but it's still an incredible game. I feel LttP and Links Awakening hold up far better and Majora's mask despite being similarly dated is a lot more interesting in how it's structured and its narrative.

Also one big negative against it and most modern zelda games is that it starts off incredibly slowly. You really need to give it a couple of hours before it grabs you.

I think it's the FFVII effect, 'it blew me away as a kid but I refuse to acknowledge it's flaws!'.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    OoT like a lot of N64 games has dated badly in many respects

I don't think it's dated whatsoever. It still plays & is as good as it always did. In fact, most modern games would be hard pressed to come even close to OoT for impact.

Sure, graphics today are better, & mechanics may be more involved than back then, but at its heart, OoT sh1ts all over the majority of similar titles released over the last 15 years.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

It always just felt a bit sparse to me. Like I'm wandering around a test version which hasn't had the NPCs inserted yet. It doesn't really feel like a lived in world.

I guess that's just cart based technology for you. Final Fantasy VII on the other hand felt a lot more alive and populated.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah but it's not as eyeball poppingly groundbreaking as it used to be which accounted for a lot on release. The camera is ****e and some of the dungeons are a bit claustrophobic.

The first time I saw the game I was watching some one run around Kokiri forest in amazement.

The first time I played it was when I got the disc with Wind Waker and was wondering what the big deal with the game was for the first few hours. It eventually clicked and I loved it but it has lost something in the intervening years.

I guess that's just cart based technology for you. Final Fantasy VII on the other hand felt a lot more alive and populated.

You should play it now. Every town and city is one screen with about 5-10 npc's. It feels very spartan.

Perhaps it's a bit like watching King Kong now where the effects look laughable but it's still a good film.

Yeah but it's not as eyeball poppingly groundbreaking as it used to be which accounted for a lot on release. The camera is ****e and some of the dungeons are a bit claustrophobic.

So for you, the graphics are more important then the underlying game? Your fifteen or so years older now, it'd be hard for a game to be fifteen year future proofed. I can only think of a handful of games that would be described as so
    The first time I played it was when I got the disc with Wind Waker and was wondering what the big deal with the game was for the first few hours. It eventually clicked and I loved it but it has lost something in the intervening years.

So you never played OoT until Wind Waker was out?? I played through & completed the game again only there at the start of the year I think, in my opinion, the game's lost nothing & remains firmly planted in the annals of brilliance

I never said the game wasn't great or that graphics are the most important. I was just saying how I can understand how some people might not be all that impressed given the hype the game has about it. I also think it's a bit disingenuous to say that the game hasn't aged in some respects or lost a little of the magic the game had at the time of release due to technological and game design leaps that it made. It doesn't make it a bad game. Also the camera is pretty bad by today's standards where dual analogue controls exist. It was groundbreaking at the time but it was really making the best of a poor controller design.

It is one of the greats but I'd be hard pushed to put it in my top 50.

I never said the game wasn't great or that graphics are the most important. I was just saying how I can understand how some people might not be all that impressed given the hype the game has about it.

That I can understand, but frankly, if people are playing a 15 year old game for the first time & expect it to blow them away/feel like a modern game...then they have the wrong perception of video games. The perception of games changes over time, not the games themselves. When doing something like that, you have to make certain allowances.
    I also think it's a bit disingenuous to say that the game hasn't aged in some respects or lost a little of the magic the game had at the time of release due to technological and game design leaps that it made. It doesn't make it a bad game. Also the camera is pretty bad by today's standards where dual analogue controls exist. It was groundbreaking at the time but it was really making the best of a poor controller design.

I don't think its aged/changed though, why would I? What has changed about OoT over the last 15 years? It's bit for bit the same game it always was. What has changed, are the rules & standards people rate it by. Personally, after playing through it again recently, I still find it outshines a lot of its predecessors, despite restraints like the camera etc.
    It is one of the greats but I'd be hard pushed to put it in my top 50.

If OoT didn't make it into a magazines top 50, frankly, I wouldn't buy it.

• Advertisement

I don't think its aged/changed though, why would I? What has changed about OoT over the last 15 years? It's bit for bit the same game it always was. What has changed, are the rules & standards people rate it by. Personally, after playing through it again recently, I still find it outshines a lot of its predecessors, despite restraints like the camera etc.

That's pretty much all that has changed, peoples perceptions. The hype the game has is way overblown so it's no wonder people go into it expecting the second coming and find a game from the era when 3D games had just left the womb and finding their feet. It's a game that was lauded as the greatest game ever on release and sure I thought that way myself for a while even only having played it a little. Hindsight shows that those views were a bit overblown but it still has that reputation. I still love the game but it's got too many of those early 3D game flaws and annoying camera niggles for me to put it anywhere the best ever, whereas Link to the Past could be seen as the pinnacle of 2D game design.

In the intervening years I've played a few games I'd put ahead of it.
    If OoT didn't make it into a magazines top 50, frankly, I wouldn't buy it.

Not to blow my own trumpet here but frankly I feel I've played way more games and have much higher standards than most people that would call themselves games journalists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Not to blow my own trumpet here.

You got them ribs taken out then ?

In the intervening years I've played a few games I'd put ahead of it.

There are better games now, but we've had 15 years to improve on it...I should hope we've improved on it by now :p
    Not to blow my own trumpet here but frankly I feel I've played way more games and have much higher standards than most people that would call themselves games journalists.

Personally, I've always been one to rate things for myself. I tend to not bother reading reviews, I don't see the point in my case. I'll either like or hate a game, whatever other people think about it is inconsequential to me.

But saying that OoT would be hard pressed to get in your top 50? The standards set there must be so high you'd be lucky to fill your list at all

You got them ribs taken out then ?

He put them on ebay, how do ya think he bought a cd-i?

Also, I cannot believe I'm having a debate about OoT with a man who thinks the Zelda CD-i games are good Zelda games. Damn, never feed the trolls :p

But saying that OoT would be hard pressed to get in your top 50? The standards set there must be so high you'd be lucky to fill your list at all

What can I say, I've played way too many games. I'd find a top 100 hard to fill out :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

OoT is an example of a very good game that we have been told, again and again, is one of the greatest.
    It certainly was, at the time, but then so was Tomb Raider but I don't see magazines or Bloggers putting that into their all time top 10.
    I had more fun with Fear 2 than OoT tbh, and historically preferred Half Life back in the day over Zelda on the N64.
    I do feel that other N64 games were more enjoyable and have dated better, Mario 64, Blast Corp and 1080, the last one might be controversial but I played it recently and, despite it's low frame rate it plays quite well, not dissimilar to the excellent Pilotwings 64.

I had more fun with Fear 2 than OoT tbh

Where's my facepalm.jpg!

FEAR 2 was very good indeed, well received too.
    If you didn't like it, that's cool, just another nail in the taste coffin for you! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

I had more fun with Fear 2 than OoT tbh, and historically preferred Half Life back in the day over Zelda on the N64.

217534.png

FEAR 2 was very good indeed, well received too.

I don't care that it was well received. All I know is that the mediocrity bored me so much I couldn't be bothered playing it anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Im a PC + snes fanboy so I'll go for

Super Metroid (snes)
    Legend of Zelda LTTP (snes)
    Unreal Tournament 99 (pc)
    Street fighter 2 series (arcade , although I do like the snes turbo port alot)
    Half life 1 (pc)

Honorable mentions, quake 3 arena, yoshis island, chrono trigger, super mario kart, resident evil 2, system shock 2, deus ex, half life 2

I don't care that it was well received. All I know is that the mediocrity bored me so much I couldn't be bothered playing it anymore.

Wow, you get bored really easy because that game wasn't boring at all, it was very good, like the first Condemned game in tone, urban decay and then.... a never mind, you're being contrary....

Wow, you get bored really easy because that game wasn't boring at all, it was very good, like the first Condemned game in tone, urban decay and then.... a never mind, you're being contrary....

It was a series of monster closets and boo! scares that got very boring, very quickly. It had no sense in how to space them out.

Nope, still liked it a lot, long dark haired chick/J-Horror meets "One Man Vs Swat Team", I thought it was a blast right to the end.
    The episode in the school was particularly good, and a good, weird ending to boot.
    It was better than the decent first game in the series, cunningly called FEAR, much better than the "gaiden" side mission packs made for the PC and released for the 360 but made by a completely different team and were not as good at all..
    I haven't played FEAR 3 yet but haven't heard great things about it, I may pick it at some point, give it a whirl, not going to spend serious dough on it though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

FEAR3 is crap, in single-player at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

It always just felt a bit sparse to me. Like I'm wandering around a test version which hasn't had the NPCs inserted yet. It doesn't really feel like a lived in world.

Yes, THANK YOU. People still bang on about Hyrule Field like it's amazing...it's barren, with **** all to do in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

1.Bubble Bobble (Taito Arcade)
    2.Ghosts N Goblins (Arcade)
    3.Ghouls N Ghosts (Arcade)
    4.Super Mario Bros 3 (NES)
    5.???????????????????
    I do Like Mario Kart 64 but not sure if it could be in the top 5 games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

1.Bubble Bobble (Taito Arcade)
    2.Ghosts N Goblins (Arcade)
    3.Ghouls N Ghosts (Arcade)
    4.Super Mario Bros 3 (NES)
    5.Rise of the Robots (CD-i)

Fixed that for ya :)

To be honest I wouldn't even rate it on the top 5 Mario Kart games! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

To be honest I wouldn't even rate it on the top 5 Mario Kart games! ;)
    Ashamed as I am, I love Mario kart 64, using lighting to knock your mates on the jump on Wario stadium, theres nothing more satisfying :)
    The fighting that use to go on over that back in the day

Hasn't a patch on Goldeneye though ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 690 ✭✭✭puffishoes

Wonderboy C64

Super Castlevania SNES

Donkey Kong CBS

Street Fighter II Arcade

Frenzy CBS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭strangel00p

top five, in no order...

lords of midnight
    Gabriel Knight - the beast within
    jagged alliance 2
    left 4 dead
    wing commander 3

My 5 top games are

Golden Axe
    Streets of Rage
    Streets of Rage 2
    Golden Axe 3
    and
    Burn Cycle

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

My 5 top games are

Golden Axe
    Streets of Rage
    Streets of Rage 2
    Golden Axe 3
    and
    Burn Cycle

no Pong in the list? :eek: :rolleyes:

no Pong in the list? :eek: :rolleyes:

Well... a couple of the games pong quite a bit to be honest...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

How can one pick 5? Top 5 most loved games maybe.

Secret of mana
    Dynablaster/ Bomberman
    Megaman (one of the ones on the GB, not sure which. Probably the the one that's the best)
    Castlevania on GB, the good one
    Street fighter 2 turbo

Those the carts I played the most, therefore their the worlds best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Whos your character of choice in sf2 OwaynOTT? I use guile/blanka most. Was playing super sf2 on the snes earlier and music and sound effects really suck compared to turbo :( It's a shame cause the graphics and animations are much nicer. The tunes in turbo really make an awesome atmosphere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

nuxxx wrote: »
    Whos your character of choice in sf2 OwaynOTT? I use guile/blanka most. Was playing super sf2 on the snes earlier and music and sound effects really suck compared to turbo :( It's a shame cause the graphics and animations are much nicer. The tunes in turbo really make an awesome atmosphere

Yeah not fond of super street fighter either on the Snes. They changed the perfect voice! Alpha is a bit of a mess as well.
    I had no real preference character wise really. Been using Ryu a lot lately but would use Guile, Chun Li and Blanka a lot as well.

Have Ken's stage music as ringtone.

nuxxx wrote: »
    Was playing super sf2 on the snes earlier and music and sound effects really suck compared to turbo :( It's a shame cause the graphics and animations are much nicer. The tunes in turbo really make an awesome atmosphere

Turbo was by far the best Street fighter on the Snes. Alpha 2 and super were really poor ports, they just tried to cram too much onto the 24mb limitations on the SNES carts.

Turbo is still regarded by a lot the serious OG players as one of the best of the SF2 series (along with Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo). It was really well balanced, and nice and fast.

Funny thing is, Super SF2 was kind of responsible for killing street fighter in the arcades over here to an extent. Capcom Japan developed all the SF2 games, except for SF2 Turbo, which was developed by the US in response to all the rainbow Champion edition clones flooding the market. Japan was busy making Super at the time, so they got Capcom USA to make their own legit bootleg in a hurry, to get an official game onto the streets to compete with the clones. The US just took a standard Champion edition PCB, added a few new moves, pallette swops, and some minor tweaks, sped the clock speed up, and rushed it out to market.

People loved it and it became a massive hit and was played everywhere for months. Then japan released super which they had been working on for ages, and arcades bought it, swopping out a lot of their hyper setups for the newest version which they assumed everyone would want to play (the done thing with street fighter back then).

People had had gotten used to the faster speed from playing on Turbo, and Super just seemed way too slow.

People went home and played Turbo on their SNES instead.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

As a matter of interest, do folks still play home ports of Street Fighter 2 games that much anymore?

Seems a bit pointless really as they're ports and the arcade versions are freely available.

Or is it just the whole nostalgia thing?

I tend not to bother with home ports of arcade games anymore unless they're literally a 1:1 port of the arcade release. (or improved on!)

I see no point in buying or even playing home ports of arcade fighters either. It's really obvious now how different they are to the real deal.

With the exception of the 3DO & PC Engine, the home ports of Street Fighter are awful compared to the arcade versions

Just get a Neo Geo or Neo Geo Pocket :)

I see no point at all in playing home ports of arcade originals, when I have an embarrassment of MAME related riches just as easily available.

Aside from genuinely arcade perfect ports(which are not that common) even the best console versions lack something from the original, whether it's sound, graphics, certain animation frames, etc. Small details I wouldn't have noticed years ago are painfully apparent if I play them back now, so I just don't bother.

• Advertisement
Advertisement