Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Film And Television Production Course?

Options
  • 19-04-2011 6:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Just wondering if anyone who's on the Film and Television Production Course could possibly advise me a little?

I'm in fifth year at the moment and will be starting University in Autumn 2012 after I finish that dreaded exam called the Leaving Cert... :(

I'm looking at courses which I can do and I'm a little torn. I have three passions: Filmmaking, English and Acting. Ultimately I would love to be a film director but I understand that to get there I must start at the bottom and work my way up for years before I get there.

So I was just wondering: How are you finding the Film and Television Course? I've read the prospectus description a thousand times and it sounds wonderful but how do you find it in real life? What do you do in a typical week? Is there lots of practical work or theory or a nice balance? Also, what's happening with this new National Film School building?

I'm just really torn between this course, English at Trinity or auditioning for acting school... :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭MeerKat17

Don't stress yourself out about it now, only you can decide what you want to do and you have so many choices after you finish school.
    You don't have to decide what you want to apply for until next year, and by the end of the summer/start of leaving cert I'm sure that'll be a little clearer for you.
    You could also apply for the degree in Film & T.V or the English Degree, if you get accepted, defer it for a year and do a course in acting during this time to get a taste for both. Or take a year out after school, go traveling and then decide what you want to do. The world is your oyster as they say, and you have plenty of time to decide.
    I studied Film & T.V in college and really enjoyed learning about every aspect of film making, and developing my craft. But to be honest, degree of no degree, when it comes down to working in the film industry you will more than likely always start as a trainee/runner. But with the degree you may advance yourself quicker provided your good at your job.

A good place to start now may be to sign up to be an extra in a movie over the summer, and get a feel for what it would be like to be involved in film making/acting, to decide if its really for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Peiteal

Aw, travelling for a year! I'd love to do that but unfortunately I can't afford it.:rolleyes:

I think I might try and do some auditions over the Summer and maybe try and get some work experience on a film or television set again... I know I've still got a year which is great for thinking this over but the weeks have begun to slip by so quickly!

I'm thinking at the moment that I might just try and get into a Film-making course and while I'm doing it try for some auditions and read lots of English Literature... I won't have a shiny piece of paper from Oxford afterwards but I'll enjoy myself!

Thanks for the reply! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭dammitjanet

I did the film and TV production portfolio course for IADT when I was in 6th year- I loved film but wasn't sure if it was what I wanted to do. I found the course to be really helpful- good introdution to everything. And you're with lecturers so you can talk to them about the course.
    Might be worth looking into? You can do it in the evenings during the school year or as a 2 week summer course

Advertisement