Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dental Costs Australia

Options
  • 19-04-2011 6:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

How does the cost of dental work in Oz compare with Ireland is it cheaper or more expensive. I may need to get root canal done in a few months.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

My friend had a root canal done a few years back and it was cheaper to buy a return flight back home and get it done for next to nothing.

This is what amazes me when comes to threads like this Irish people coming here for 4 or more years and reluctant to even consider health Insurance. I got a whole heap of work done last year ...not as extensive as a root canal and the bill was $680. I think I paid a gap of $70 and the insurance paid the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

I'm in the middle of root canal treatment although it's actually getting an old one redone and repaired which I think is usually more expensive.. The total cost will be around $2000 and my insurance will have covered about half of that.

Mate of mine in work got a root canal last year and was quoted $1500 by his usual dentist. He shopped around and eventually got it done for $800 (although he's had a load of problems with it since.)

So basically, they're not cheap..

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

I dont think its that cheap either. Now im only here a couple of months so not dental cover for me!
    I have chipped 2 teeth and went to see a dentist and my jaw nearly dropped! She straight up said i need 2 crowns at 1700 EACH!!! Couldnt believe it! And she only looked at those 2 teeth!
    Girl in work said try this group. I went over, full exam, no crowns and a quote upfront 800 ish for the lot (including another tooth the 1st one didnt comment on!!)
    So first procedure today :(
    Its done differently here aswell. You rock up for a consultancy, pay for that (generally with x-rays) and then come back a few weeks later. Not like home, where (for me) its in, check up, fix it and out!
    So ive had 4 weeks thinking about the filling im getting removed and refilled!! not been nice i tell ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭kdevitt

mandrake04 wrote: »
    This is what amazes me when comes to threads like this Irish people coming here for 4 or more years and reluctant to even consider health Insurance.

Maybe something to do with it being ridiculously expensive for health insurance for 457 visa holders? A $3800 family policy with austhealth covers no more than the reciprocal for Irish people except for GP fees, and has no dental cover.

With IMAN, its $6480 for a family policy which has dental cover.
    I got a whole heap of work done last year ...not as extensive as a root canal and the bill was $680. I think I paid a gap of $70 and the insurance paid the rest.

$680 for a 'heap of work' is reasonable enough though I would have thought?

I've been told a check up is roughly $200 - which does sting considering the free treatment I used to receive under the PRSI scheme, but with that now gone its much of a muchness I suppose.

Well I know a German guy on a 457 who was paying IMAN $84 pm for himself, I consider that pretty good but then thats for 1 person not a whole family.

I was paying HCF $92 per month for myself, as was the mrs. I got a new job lately and get a special with MBF cover with same benefits for both in a joint policy $154 pm and then of course it saves me getting hammered in 1% MLS. Not too bad $1848 for the year if I didn't have it we would have been handing over $1700 to the ATO for nothing.

The $680 was over 2 visits for checkup, X-ray, 3 fillings and an incisal pin. Not bad for a reputable practice and not a cheap Chinese chop shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

i have not used this service but i came across it a little while back ,

http://nobledentist.com.au/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 boreds11

My friend had a root canal done a few years back and it was cheaper to buy a return flight back home and get it done for next to nothing.

Unfortunately the days of getting it done for next to nothing are long gone. A root canal and crown would start from €1000 upwards in Ireland

Thanks for the info, Lets hope I dont need the root canal done

boreds11 wrote: »
    Unfortunately the days of getting it done for next to nothing are long gone. A root canal and crown would start from €1000 upwards in Ireland

Thanks for the info, Lets hope I dont need the root canal done

He is from the North

Advertisement