Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cahir - what a gem of a town

• 19-04-2011 7:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭

I just spent the afternoon in Cahir. Parked by the fountain in the square and had a coffee on the street at the seats provided by the Lazy Bean. Then ambled down by the castle, fed the ducks, and strolled down to the Swiss Cottage.

In all seriousness, slagging and jokes aside, is there a nicer, more tranquil town in Tipp? I really don't think so. By saying that I'm not dissing any other town. It's just that Cahir is compact, it has a river, it has a castle, it has a park, and it has a wonderful woodland walk. No other town in Tipp that I can think of ticks those boxes. Sure, it's not great gastronomically or in terms of retail; but as a picturesque town, it takes some beating.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Clareboy

Tremelo wrote: »
    I just spent the afternoon in Cahir. Parked by the fountain in the square and had a coffee on the street at the seats provided by the Lazy Bean. Then ambled down by the castle, fed the ducks, and strolled down to the Swiss Cottage.

In all seriousness, slagging and jokes aside, is there a nicer, more tranquil town in Tipp? I really don't think so. By saying that I'm not dissing any other town. It's just that Cahir is compact, it has a river, it has a castle, it has a park, and it has a wonderful woodland walk. No other town in Tipp that I can think of ticks those boxes. Sure, it's not great gastronomically or in terms of retail; but as a picturesque town, it takes some beating.

Yes, I agree with you 100%. Cahir has a touch of class and I consider it to be one of the most attractive towns in Ireland. The people of Cahir should be very proud of their lovely town.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭rob55

true, cant think of other towns in tipperary where you can have coffee on the street. also have a very nice pub across from the castle the gatehouse

nice walks down by the swiss cottage and the inch field

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

These comments are bringing a tear to my eye :')

I absolutely adore it. Been living here for all my life so far. Coming home every week from college on a Thursday evening coming into the town with the sun shining, there is just nothing nicer :)

I'll sure miss the days though of going down to the inch field beside the castle, during schools lunch time to just kick around a football and stuff.

Even though people say there are scumbags in every town, I really don't think there are any genuine scumbags here. We are so lucky!

God I love this thread :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭aido 1976

One of the most friendly and beautiful towns in the land, spend a week there about 2 years ago. And will definatly be returning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

I often wonder, is it because it was a Garrison town, that has it looking different, for want of a better word, that the other towns in Tipp. Kinda like Lismore, if you know what I mean

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I think it might. It has a slightly similar feel to it as Fermoy, which is also a nice town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭Matt Santos

In fairness its a crackin little town in the summer months. When the sun is shining it looks a million dollars. The bridge, the Castle, the square and the main buildings look fantastic.
    But........
    For all its potential it does not accommodate tourisim very well! The hotel is a fine building but it really needs a huge cash injection. Now, imagine trying to go to a bank now and look for money to invest in above all things a hotel!! The thing is that Cahir as a town would benefit hugely if this investment were made. Pity that the bean counters that use whatever whacky formula for giving out loans cant see the actual circumstances to an investment similar to Cahir House!
    The only other thing that I cant understand is that the town has received a huge investment from a local landscape provider and some beautiful trees and shrubs have been planted on the approach roads yet the town cant land a blow in the Tidy Towns.
    If ye get the chance as well have a go at counting the amount of handicap parking spaces are available in the town..................

Matt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Matt
    As far as I know there was no Tidy Towns Committee in the town for a number of years but there is one now.They have a professionally prepared development plan since 2010.
    I think that they improved their marks a good bit in 2010 so I would say that they will make good advances over the next few years
    Hope so anyway cos its a beaut of a town :)

I dont know a lot about the disabled parrking situation though I will check on ot the next time I am passing

One big thing that needs doing is a resurfacing job of the M8 junction 10 approach road to the town. It hasn't been surfaced since the first bypass opened way back in 1991, and it shows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

Lovin all the kudos for Cahir :D!

It's days like these, with the sun shining that it's great to live in Cahir. Yeah, people say it's boring and there's nothing to do, but it's the same as anywhere when youre livin there for 20+ years.

Me and a mate took full advantage of it yesterday and spent the whole day out fishing in the sunshine. started off way down past the sandy bottom and worked our way back up towards the bridge and up by supervalu. Great way to spend the day, even if i did get burnt to a crisp :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

I passed though Cahir yesterday when I was out getting some cycling training in.
    It is a lovely town!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Not from Cahir myself but I truly believe that it has a tourist attraction that should be drawing in way more visitors than it does(the Castle). In a different league to the Rock of Cashel IMHO.

In my opinion the castle is under-exploited. Medieval banquets anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

I have great memories of Cahir...Cahir house disco on a friday night,down to the chip van on the square.Made many good friends there.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭vincent coffey

Lads ye have really whetted my appetite. Going camping in aherlow on wednesday but i will definately stop in cahir for lunch a couple of times this week. cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

Over the last few weeks i've really tarted to appreciate Cahir, even though i'm from a village outside it. Hurling in Duneske, down to the river, into the Inch, throw a few flies at the trout, take a walk to the Swiss, go for a panini in the lazy bean and then go back up and play another bit of hurling. The odd swim down the Mall is nice as well.
    Perfect town when the weather is nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Not from Cahir myself but I truly believe that it has a tourist attraction that should be drawing in way more visitors than it does(the Castle). In a different league to the Rock of Cashel IMHO.

The problem is, when Ireland is sold as a tourist destination, the Rock is always shown as one of the top attractions to visit. So when tourists do come and visit, they will almost certainly go there. Also, tour operators have a set "package" that brings tourists to a number of locations, and if Cahir Castle isn't on the list, it just isn't visited.

I know that when the tourists make it as far as to see Cahir Castle after visiting the Rock, they say that the Rock was a huge letdown; that they had expected much more, and as a result were not going to bother going to the Castle. After all, if the top attraction in Ireland was underwhelming, then this place (Cahir Castle) , must be worse. However, when they see the Castle, they are stunned at how much of a difference between the two, and wished they had just visited the Castle instead.

Also, for the price of admission, €3.00 for an adult, and €8.00 for a family, it's one cheap attraction. Unfortunately, it's mainly down to marketing by Tourism Ireland that has it standing in the shadow of the Rock.

btw, I don't mean to diss the Rock; I think it's a fine place to visit.

I had a friend up from Mallow today. We went to Galileo and then explored the castle and the Swiss Cottage. She thought Cahir was a great town for scenery.

I have to say though, there are a lot of empty buildings in the town, in addition to litter in the river (such as a traffic cone). The major eyesore is the old mill ground between the bridge and SuperValu. That needs to be greened up for sure. Any plans for the area?

Tremelo,there were major plans to develop it a few years ago but because of the downturn I presume they are now dead in the water

Can you remember what the plans entailed?

• Advertisement

From 2007

To demolish all structures at a 1.04ha site at Cahir Mills and to construct a mixed use development on the site. The development comprises 5 no. retail units (totalling 709sq.m) 6 no. commercial units (totalling 731 sq.m) 72 residential units, comprising apartments and town houses of up to three and four storeys, public riverside walkway, entrance barrier, car parking and substation together with all ancillary site works and services. Access will be provided via a new roundabout at junction with Bridge Street, An Environmental Impact Statement will be submitted to the planning authority with the application .

As per South Tipp Planning office.

I think that these plans were scaled back a bit from a previous application.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭bawn79

In my opinion the castle is under-exploited. Medieval banquets anyone?

I think the tourism potential is really being underplayed. A medieval banquet sounds like a great idea alright.

I wondered about the other hotel in the town being utilised as a Hostel. Its a pity there is no real Irish music pub in the town though, its need a pub with some real character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 new2tipp

Just moved to Cahir, whats it like at the weekends? Is it a good place to go out? Moved because of work, seems a really nice town so far. Been here a few weeks now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭jett

I thought the Rock was over rated.
    The Castle in Cahir is without doubt a treasure.

new2tipp wrote: »
    Just moved to Cahir, whats it like at the weekends? Is it a good place to go out? Moved because of work, seems a really nice town so far. Been here a few weeks now

The Gatehouse opposite the Castle would be the main bar that people go to, with ages ranging from around 18-29 there usually.

Irwins bar often have live music and would be popular but wouldn't usually be near as busy as Gatehouse.

The Niteclub in Cahir House is now only open for bank holidays etc. Notoriously bad. When it was open every weekend it was the same FEW faces there. Hardcore dance music too.....

Many Cahir people go to Clonmel to O'Keeffes after Gatehouse etc, becuase of the lack of any alternatives.

Jeez not even a nightclub or late bar in the town , unusual in a town that big. Doubt I'll be going out that much anyway but when we do it'd be nice to have somewhere to go for a late drink. Town is fab apart from that, and so central, you can be in cork limerick or Dublin all within an hour or two. Swiss cottage is a great place to bring the kids when the sun is out and the Castle is a lovely feature in the town. What are the other good things to do?

new2tipp wrote: »
    Jeez not even a nightclub or late bar in the town , unusual in a town that big. Doubt I'll be going out that much anyway but when we do it'd be nice to have somewhere to go for a late drink. Town is fab apart from that, and so central, you can be in cork limerick or Dublin all within an hour or two. Swiss cottage is a great place to bring the kids when the sun is out and the Castle is a lovely feature in the town. What are the other good things to do?

1) Cahir really isn't that big of a town

2) There is a nightclub but only open on Bank Holidays etc due to there not being enough business for it. Gatehouse is a late bar is it not?

Ya, location of the town is perfect, an hour from the cities.

The Vee is just 15 mins away..could spend hours walking up the mountains or just go there simply for the views.

callaway92 wrote: »
    1) Cahir really isn't that big of a town

2) There is a nightclub but only open on Bank Holidays etc due to there not being enough business for it. Gatehouse is a late bar is it not?

Ya, location of the town is perfect, an hour from the cities.

The Vee is just 15 mins away..could spend hours walking up the mountains or just go there simply for the views.
    Ah, haven't been out yet didn't realise Gatehouse stayed open late, nice one. Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

From the Banner myself, right in the heart of the big tourist area of north Clare. Cliffs of Moher, Burren, etc, etc,.

However I agree that Cahir is a sweet spot. So too Cashel and a few more places.

We have definitely decided to go to Tipp, for four of five days this summer.
    Thing is, Tipp does not get promoted enough as an attractive place to have a break.
    The tourists, drive out of Shannon Airport, with West Cork, Kerry, Clare, and Connemara, on the agenda.
    You folks in Tipp, need to up your marketing game:p

Up the Banner:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 curtainpoles

ok cahir doesnt have any scumbags - hilarious your living in cookoo land!!

disbaled parking? im trying to think...5??

cahir house nightclub needs to get rid of the door charge of 8 euro! clean the pipes for the beer and get soem decent bouncers who dont harrass you on the way in! then they MIGHT do some business, oh and a decent dj wouldnt go amiss either ;)

but yeh cahir is a pretty little town...........

Advertisement