Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cahir - what a gem of a town

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

ok cahir doesnt have any scumbags - hilarious your living in cookoo land!!

disbaled parking? im trying to think...5??

cahir house nightclub needs to get rid of the door charge of 8 euro! clean the pipes for the beer and get soem decent bouncers who dont harrass you on the way in! then they MIGHT do some business, oh and a decent dj wouldnt go amiss either ;)

but yeh cahir is a pretty little town...........

yeah, it really doesn't have any scumbags. I finished 6th year here after going to school here for 12 years. NEVER had any problems, or never heard of anyone having any problems. The LACK of scumbags is shocking compared to other towns.

The disabled parking facilities in town are good, what are you on about:confused:
    I actually find it annoying how many disabled spots are in town. 4 in the square itself. 2 alongside the post office. 2 at The Lazy Bean. 5 or so down at the Bottle Banks. The disabled facilities are a lot better than the average town.

The entrance is €7. FFS they need it like. It's a small town. It only opens every couple of weekends now. Not many people live in Cahir. If you take the amount of people that go out on a Saturday night here and then after that want to go to the night club a lot of people will just go home. They have to charge the €7 to make money to be fair to them. I agree about the DJ though, the music there sucks. (Remixing good songs to hardcore dance :rolleyes: )

Who said it's not a little town?

Do you live here? If so, I don't know what you are talking about regarding scumbags and the disabled parking. That annoys me because the town is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭Matt Santos

There is two disabled car spaces outside of the Lazy bean.
    There is a double disabled car space outside the McMahon shoes across from the AIB.
    There is another two disabled car spaces on the river side of the square and another one outside the Galileo restaurant.
    And that's not even counting the public car park!
    Now, I have no problem with an amount of disabled parking but there is a huge car park with the necessary amount delegated to the disabled but as a customer in Cahir on a regular basis parking is relatively hard to find on the main st or the square for short periods of time and the disabled spaces are invariably free!
    It's a petty gripe but its obviously an issue that needs to be addressed.

It's also worth noting that it costs to park in the car park whilst it doesn't cost to park in the square or the main st..

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Shekira

It's also worth noting that it costs to park in the car park whilst it doesn't cost to park in the square or the main st..

It only costs on a Thursday when the traffic warden is on duty!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Shekira wrote: »
    It only costs on a Thursday when the traffic warden is on duty!! :D

He's on one day a week but it is not always thursday.

Be careful out there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I'm doing lots of thesis work by night in an office in Cahir at moment (much quieter than working at home). Was delighted to see the corner shop open at almost 11pm the other night!

• Advertisement

Tremelo wrote: »
    I'm doing lots of thesis work by night in an office in Cahir at moment (much quieter than working at home). Was delighted to see the corner shop open at almost 11pm the other night!

The Heritage? Ya they have always been open till around 11pm nightly. Fairly handy if you're a bit peckish in the night. Spar closes at 9pm I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Barcafan11

Cahir is a grand nice little town. Was there last year and stayed in the Loft B & B. I was amazed to see the resident labrador supping somebody's pint when he went to the jacks. There was a B & B on the way in from the motorway on the left. (I think somebody told me it was a prison at some point). The woman there looked me up and down, and then politely told me to F off. I would have been gettin in fairly late and all the guests apparrently are in bed at 9.00. Sounds like a prison alright. Cant fault the place though. I'll be going back soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

Place was looking very well 2/3 weeks ago when the sun decided to come out for once!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭slievenamon fella

ya its a lovely little town alright...but has an over a bundance of wana be scumbags!!

ya its a lovely little town alright...but has an over a bundance of wana be scumbags!!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

Much better than the actual scumbags that you find in all other towns.

I know this is an old thread but there's nothing really else on Cahir and I didn't want to open a new thread.

I dunno if it's even well known that it's happening or not but Paddy Power are going to be moving into where Condon's pub was eventually I believe. I hate this to be honest. Big dirty green bookies in the middle of our town is never a nice look in my opinion.

If my predictions are on point this will absolutely kill Ladbrokes in the town and in the following year or two they will be gone and PP may well move in there instead.

I'm a bettor (online only) but still hate this in what I consider still a v nice town, especially in the summer with tourists etc. The more bookmakers the worse it gets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭TheManFromTipp

callaway92 wrote: »
    I know this is an old thread but there's nothing really else on Cahir and I didn't want to open a new thread.

I dunno if it's even well known that it's happening or not but Paddy Power are going to be moving into where Condon's pub was eventually I believe. I hate this to be honest. Big dirty green bookies in the middle of our town is never a nice look in my opinion.

If my predictions are on point this will absolutely kill Ladbrokes in the town and in the following year or two they will be gone and PP may well move in there instead.

I'm a bettor (online only) but still hate this in what I consider still a v nice town, especially in the summer with tourists etc. The more bookmakers the worse it gets.

Maybe tourists night like a flutter on the gee gees...What about more mature punters,that like a bet..just because you can do it online,not everyone can!! Do you not like the colour green?

Maybe tourists night like a flutter on the gee gees...What about more mature punters,that like a bet..just because you can do it online,not everyone can!! Do you not like the colour green?

What are you on about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭TheManFromTipp

What are you on about?

Read what you posted.then read my questions regarding what you wrote....

Good man

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭Head Wreck

callaway92 wrote:

Wait till the CashConverter shops start popping up

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭DanMurphy

Myself and her indoors go to Cahir for week-ends three or four times a year, and have been doing so for for many years.
    Not once did we ever meet what can be described as a 'scumbag' or even a wannabee. Never once been hassled or threatened on the streets, day or night.
    A wonderful town full of friendly folks, good grub, full of history.

Best town in Ireland.

Going there again soon. Can't wait.

Head Wreck wrote: »
    Wait till the CashConverter shops start popping up

God let's hope not :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,467 ✭✭✭cml387

Sad to say that the "Sword In The Stone" in the Inch field beside the castle has been vandalized and is now gone. There was some other damage around when we went there last week.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭Head Wreck

cml387 wrote:
    Sad to say that the "Sword In The Stone" in the Inch field beside the castle has been vandalized and is now gone. There was some other damage around when we went there last week.

Couldn't have been vandalised, shur theres no scumbags in cahir

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

cml387 wrote: »

http://www.nationalist.ie/news/home/222446/cahir-s-excalibur-sword-removed-for-repairs.html

Cahir Castle's movie history has had to be removed from the Inch Field for repairs - a victim of its own popularity!

The 'Excalibur' sword, crafted by stonemason Philip Quinn and erected in the Inch Field earlier this year, had to be taken away last week when the cement in which it was docked began to crack and make the sword unstable.

Tidy Towns chairman Andy Moloney has reassured the people of the town that it has not been vandalised and it will be back!

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭PacMan

I commute daily to work in Limerick, and on the rare occasion visit Cahir.
    Its a nice town, and the Lazy Bean is nice on a warm summers day to sit outside and enjoy the sights and sounds with a delicious coffee.
    Yummy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,467 ✭✭✭cml387

marvin80 wrote: »
    http://www.nationalist.ie/news/home/222446/cahir-s-excalibur-sword-removed-for-repairs.html

Cahir Castle's movie history has had to be removed from the Inch Field for repairs - a victim of its own popularity!

The 'Excalibur' sword, crafted by stonemason Philip Quinn and erected in the Inch Field earlier this year, had to be taken away last week when the cement in which it was docked began to crack and make the sword unstable.

Tidy Towns chairman Andy Moloney has reassured the people of the town that it has not been vandalised and it will be back!

That's good to know. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭PacMan

PacMan wrote: »
    I commute daily to work in Limerick, and on the rare occasion visit Cahir.

Forgot to mention, that on our most recent visit to this delicious cafe, we were sitting outside, as you do, watching the world go by,
    At an adjoining outdoor table, one very elderly customer started throwing pieces of a chocolate muffin about.

I thought at first he was feeding the birds, but then soon realized he wasnt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭TOMP

Cahir is a lovely town - but has what must be the ugliest building in Ireland - the Cahir Mills building - right beside the medeival castle. I cringe whenever I pass it.

Work started on Paddy Power anyway. Pub side of Condon's painted green.

Meh

Filming currently ongoing at the Inch Field/Castle for The Green Knight (starting Dev Patel). Due to be released in 2020

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 312 ✭✭Geog1234

The railway station needs brightening up. I'm talking about the platform - counted four areas with graffiti recently. It's a pity the tidy towns initiative doesn't seem to include the station. Really as a gateway to the town it would be great to see a mural or something. The station forecourt is used for cars to turn around and head back down the town which sometimes can be a safety issue for pedestrians. The Butler Trail doesn't seem to give the station or railway even a mention. An asset with much potential to benefit the town.

• Advertisement

It's a beautiful town. Was just commenting in the Nenagh thread how disappointed some of our visitors were with Nenagh recently. I drove them down to West Cork and we stopped in Cahir -- their reaction was the polar opposite. It's just wonderful to see such a thriving, picturesque town despite (no offence, Cahir) not having an obvious tourist draw, such as KIllarney or Cashel.

As someone else said, it's one of the prettiest towns in Ireland. And the locals who work in the cafes and shops are super friendly and accommodating. I had the baby with me, and the staff in the cafe we visited (it wasn't the Lazy Bean, I don't know what the name of it was) wouldn't accept any payment for whatever she had. I know it's such a small thing, but this town has such a great vibe.

Well done, Cahir folk. You should be very proud of your town.

Advertisement