Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New barter system community in Donegal

Options
  • 19-04-2011 7:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭

I just spotted this over on Politics.ie

http://letslinkdonegal.com/index.html
    Community Exchange of Goods, Skills and Services

Let's Link Donegal is a group set up by members of the North West Donegal community to create a bartering-like system, like we had in the old days, in order to move away from the money-based economy.

Our primary aim is to foster good community connections by bringing together the wants and offers that each of us have.

I'll play a few tunes for a drop of diesel :) (I think its a great idea by the way)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

theres always freecycle

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

Great idea but the Revenue and Social Welfare will be all over that site

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

theres always freecycle

That's a different type of site - that's were people are rehoming specific items, whereas letslinkdonegal is a site where people "trade." For instance, if I needed help in my garden, someone could trade a few hours labour for some homemade jam I've made. It's a mutually beneficial system for anyone involved.

What??? No they wouldn't...voluntarily trading services (i.e.: help in the garden) or personal effects (i.e. homemade jam) has no taxation implication whatsoever. It's not like people are trading signficant quantities, and whatever they're trading is theirs to give to whomever they wish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

cosanostra wrote: »

why would they? There is no exchange of money... its a skills-swap initiative
    Let's Link Donegal is a group set up by members of the North West Donegal community to create a bartering-like system, like we had in the old days, in order to move away from the money-based economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

It all sounds a little bit too good to be true. I am sure it works for them but if you didn't know the people involved, it could be open to abusee. I wouldn't want strangers coming into my house. Someone told me there is a volunteer office in Letterkenny (don't know where and too lazy to search the internet for details) do they just send out volunteers for nothing? I mean, can you ring up and ask for a gardener and a window cleaner?

• Advertisement

why would they? There is no exchange of money... its a skills-swap initiative

The revenue will be watching out for people profiteering out of it and they could be subject to tax if that was to arise, benefit in kind type thing!

Everyone on there will need to make sure they notify the social welfare (if they are on the dole) that they are doing voluntary work but because it may be classed as for reward and you get paid by goods or services that could cause a problem.

Its also advertised on the site that giving lifts is one of the activities or jobs carried out but unless you have a taxi license your insurance will be invalid and you could leave yourself open to be sued if anything was to happen while giving them a lift!

The whole system requires trust and as a nation we are greedy so its open to abuse that way too.

I really like the idea of barter system and a community project like this but id have my concerns they tend to work well with a small group but when they expand they become diluted and the whole principle behind it goes out the window a bit like the co-op movement

The whole system requires trust and as a nation we are greedy so its open to abuse that way too.

I really like the idea of barter system and a community project like this but id have my concerns they tend to work well with a small group but when they expand they become diluted and the whole principle behind it goes out the window a bit like the co-op movement

Oh, come'on...yes, the modern world does not generally operate in trust anymore, but that doesn't mean that no one can. As you'd have seen from the site, everyone who participates has their name listed on the homepage, and by being a member you share your contact details (and frequently your home/dinner table) with people you interact with.

The entire premise of the structure is that it's based on trust, and if someone doesn't "fit" then they'll quickly find themselves uninvolved in exchanges. No one has to "trade" with someone they don't like.

Personally, I'd give my eye teeth for someone to help me & my husband do work on our site, and I'd be happy to give them a home cooked dinner in exchange for their work. This is all the site does - serve as a meeting platform for people who need some help & people who are willing to help. There is no monetary reimbursement, and as far as insurance, I think anyone would be hard-pressed to claim against someone they were "trading" with. It is a grey area insurance-wise, but those who are involved in the site wouldn't be the quickest to claim anyway.

Just think, if your neighbor needs some help one Saturday, don't you help out (and don't they usually offer something in return?). That's all this site is -a big neighborhood.

The reason i'm questioning this is because i'm interested in becoming a member and i'm liking the sound of it very much and i'm not trying to put the concept down just being inquisitive.

With regards to dole which i imagine most people using the site will be unemployed in some shape or form weather its dole, sick or retired but what is the implications if i was claiming job seekers allowance and then going out to build a wall for you and you babysitting my kids would it be just a case of sure its only a favour or would it be that its working in the black economy and if caught i could lose my dole?

cosanostra wrote: »
    ...what is the implications if i was claiming job seekers allowance and then going out to build a wall for you and you babysitting my kids would it be just a case of sure its only a favour or would it be that its working in the black economy and if caught i could lose my dole?

As I said in my last post, if assisting someone through this site is construed as working, then so should helping out a neighbor. If you're really concerned then talk it over with the dole office, but make it clear there's no monetary exchange. They'll likely be resistant to it, but I'd imagine that's more because you're not out looking for full time paid employment if you're volunteering through the site.

Advertisement