Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Tip: Ice-cube tray

Options
  • 19-04-2011 7:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Here is a quick tip:

I use an ice cube tray to keep track of screws and pieces when I am opening a computer.

I have labelled each cube compartment 1,2,3,4 etc.

I put all the long screws from the case in 1, all the short screws from the case in 2, hard drive caddy screws in 3, etc.

I make a little note of each compartments contents in my repair log.

I have seen lots of laptop repair videos where the person has a lovely workstation - tools in organized
    racks, a nice ESD mat etc, and then they plop all the screws together in one big pile that's just waiting
    to be knocked over.

I like to listen to "Ice Ice Baby" by "Vanilla Ice" when I'm doing this as well,
    but that's for another discussion.

What do use use to keep your bits in order?

Barney

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,461 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

i used to use double sided tape on an a4 sheet and mark against it where they went
    but you get used to taking screws in and out so i just maybe put all the screws from the different sections into different piles now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I use an old small fishing box that i have years because it has all its own compartments so nothing wil ever get lost .

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

I do the super manly "hold them in my teeth and talk out the side of my mouth" bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

ive built over 20 computers in the last few years, and ive collected an enormous mass of screws! they're all chucked into an old ice cream box, and i couldnt be arsed arranging them, so when i do some work, i just horse the screws anywhere..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Usually I can tell the difference pretty quick, so I don't bother really organising them. With things like GPU disassembly however I usually have to use the differing piles approach.

Incidentally: NO-ONE in Maynooth sells T6 screwdrivers! Beware!

• Advertisement
Advertisement