Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MOVED

Options
  • 19-04-2011 8:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

___________________________--MOVED______________________

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

maxokeeffe wrote: »
    hi building this spec ,, just want peoples views

CORE I7 990X @ 4GHZ
    GIGABYTE G1 ASSASIN MOBO
    CORSAIR DOMINATOR GT 24GIGS @ 2000MHZ
    CORSAIR PRO DISPLAY
    CORSAIR PRO GOLD AX1200WATT
    SAPPHIRE 6990 GPU
    LG BLU RAY READ/WRITE
    NAZT FAN CONTROLLER
    4 X 20CM RED COOLMASTER FANS
    ZALMAN RESERATOR XT WATER COOLING SYSTEM
    OCZ VERTEX 3 SSD 120GIG
    for a start... i wouldnt....

how much do you plan to pay for this?

ludicrous build is ludicrous.

because you've only got 1 post, and because you listed the "best" components money can buy, im calling the troll card.

sandy bridge i7-2600k will eat that $1000 990x anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭maxokeeffe

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    for a start... i wouldnt....

how much do you plan to pay for this?

ludicrous build is ludicrous.

because you've only got 1 post, and because you listed the "best" components money can buy, im calling the troll card.

sandy bridge i7-2600k will eat that $1000 990x anyway.

ALREADY HAVE THOSE PARTS MY FRIEND , and if u check the benchmark res,, ul see diff,,,,,

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

24Gb of RAM?
    Why?
    Just why?

I like my gaming machine as much as the next person- but there is no way I could justify the specs you're suggesting.

You say you need info on spec (thread title) yet- you're also saying you've already bought these components- so what exactly are you asking?

You can do far better pricewise without compromising performance- by being cute with your components- as per above- any of the 'k' processors are multiplier unlocked, there are graphics cards out there now that'll give the 6990 a run for its money in most tests- and you really don't need a 1.2kw PSU, even if it is a nice energy efficient one (read the reviews about the 3 volt rail though!!!)

The only obvious addition- is of course a case- something with good thermals, and not too much bling?

smccarrick wrote: »
    24Gb of RAM?
    Why?
    Just why?

I like my gaming machine as much as the next person- but there is no way I could justify the specs you're suggesting.

You say you need info on spec (thread title) yet- you're also saying you've already bought these components- so what exactly are you asking?

You can do far better pricewise without compromising performance- by being cute with your components- as per above- any of the 'k' processors are multiplier unlocked, there are graphics cards out there now that'll give the 6990 a run for its money in most tests- and you really don't need a 1.2kw PSU, even if it is a nice energy efficient one (read the reviews about the 3 volt rail though!!!)

The only obvious addition- is of course a case- something with good thermals, and not too much bling?

appreciate your info ,, but i have bought most of them except the gpu,, and ss,, i just thought id building a good machine that will last time ,, and that is what i shoul get out of this,, i knw u can over clock 2n sandy bridge etc,, but i honestly i care,, the money is spent so the purpose was a once of ,,, which i wont do again ,,

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

appreciate your info ,, but i have bought most of them except the gpu,, and ss,, i just thought id building a good machine that will last time ,, and that is what i shoul get out of this,, i knw u can over clock 2n sandy bridge etc,, but i honestly i care,, the money is spent so the purpose was a once of ,,, which i wont do again ,,

Buy a few copies of Custom PC- next time- and do a price-performance ratio on all the components. I can only imagine what the components cost you- I certainly couldn't justify any of them- any of them- at all......

Next time do your research before hand.

FYI- My games machine is a 3.2 GHz quad core extreme Engineering Sample, 8Gb of PC1200 RAM, 1TB of hard-drive space, I'm only going to get embarassed if I say what the graphics card is- and then the add-ons are built-in 3G, WirelessN, DVB-T tuner, Bluray writer etc. And....... its a laptop- an 18.4", 6.2kg monstrosity.......

• Advertisement

smccarrick wrote: »
    Buy a few copies of Custom PC- next time- and do a price-performance ratio on all the components. I can only imagine what the components cost you- I certainly couldn't justify any of them- any of them- at all......

Next time do your research before hand.

FYI- My games machine is a 3.2 GHz quad core extreme Engineering Sample, 8Gb of PC1200 RAM, 1TB of hard-drive space, I'm only going to get embarassed if I say what the graphics card is- and then the add-ons are built-in 3G, WirelessN, DVB-T tuner, Bluray writer etc. And....... its a laptop- an 18.4", 6.2kg monstrosity.......

but mate people in general are missing the concept of it,, building a pc of that spec isnt a everyday ordeal ,, check pc guru , overclocker,, check what they say, to a similair build,, the machine is an absoloute beast ,,, 3D MARK SCORE 53000,,,, a serious score ,,, ??????????????

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭seyeM

It's a mighty (expensive) machine alright. But you could build an excellent socket 1155 GTX 580 SLI machine for not much more the cost of that motherboard and processor, and even that would be an overkill machine.

seyeM wrote: »
    It's a mighty (expensive) machine alright. But you could build an excellent socket 1155 GTX 580 SLI machine for not much more the cost of that motherboard and processor, and even that would be an overkill machine.

I mean mate. It will be quiet a powerful machine you have to admit when it's built.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

How much did this cost, if you did actually buy it?

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    How much did this cost, if you did actually buy it?

Total coat of build mate 3800e. Knw lad I knw it's crazy money. But a once of I won't be attempting again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Total coat of build mate 3800e. Knw lad I knw it's crazy money. But a once of I won't be attempting again.

Yeah tell me about it, just got a Bugatti Veyron.. definitely a once off

Jonny7 wrote: »
    Yeah tell me about it, just got a Bugatti Veyron.. definitely a once off

Do you not Believe me lad. Give us a email and I'll send u a video. Fine diff between bugatti 1 million quid and A comp for 4 k. Haha.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

By wanting people views, I take it you meant only those which are agreeable to you?

Me I would have spent about 1.5K on a machine that would be close enough in gaming performance as makes no difference, 1.5K in another 2-3 years for a machine that will be much better that what you are currently getting and taken a nice holiday with the other 800.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

troll-face_design.png

24 GB of ram is a pure boisterous use of money and will never be put to its limits unless you are keeping your rig for 10 years. A 4K investment for a machine that will be easily outperformed in 24 months time for €500-1000?

You said it was a "once off" why not build a 1K rig and let that be a once off. Just because you splash 4K on a pc dont make you da man.

I'm not impressed anyhow. "Look at my money lads ;)"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

It still won't play Crysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

It still won't play Crysis.

Or minecraft.

jme2010 wrote: »
    troll-face_design.png

24 GB of ram is a pure boisterous use of money and will never be put to its limits unless you are keeping your rig for 10 years. A 4K investment for a machine that will be easily outperformed in 24 months time for €500-1000?

You said it was a "once off" why not build a 1K rig and let that be a once off. Just because you splash 4K on a pc dont make you da man.

I'm not impressed anyhow. "Look at my money lads ;)"

not like that lad,, bought a nice machine nothin to do with cost.as for easily performaed.,,, ha,,, ah sure we will always have haters out there,,

But in all seriousness - why make a post like that when you know the machine is made out of the fastest components available?

Though I would have got a 2600K and a second HD6990. Would pee-pee all over the rig in the OP in gaming.

The i7 990x is a complete waste of money. If you wanted 6/12 cores, get the cheaper 980x and overclock it.

As it stands, the 2600K is about on par with the 980x (faster in gaming) apart from massively multi-threaded apps like video rendering etc

In fact, the 2500/2600 are faster for transcoding video (in enabled apps) than the 980/990 CPU's due to the new Intel Quick Sync (AVX) tech.

So, basically there are 3 reasons I can think of for your post:

1. Attempting to extend e-peen, hoping peeps here will drool all over your build
    2. Justification for spending way too much money on hardware YOU will never use
    3. Troll

But in all seriousness - why make a post like that when you know the machine is made out of the fastest components available?

Though I would have got a 2600K and a second HD6990. Would pee-pee all over the rig in the OP in gaming.

The i7 990x is a complete waste of money. If you wanted 6/12 cores, get the cheaper 980x and overclock it.

As it stands, the 2600K is about on par with the 980x (faster in gaming) apart from massively multi-threaded apps like video rendering etc

In fact, the 2500/2600 are faster for transcoding video (in enabled apps) than the 980/990 CPU's due to the new Intel Quick Sync (AVX) tech.

So, basically there are 3 reasons I can think of for your post:

1. Attempting to extend e-peen, hoping peeps here will drool all over your build
    2. Justification for spending way too much money on hardware YOU will never use
    3. Troll

LAD I DIDNT POST POST THIS TO TRY AND BRAG ABOUT THE BUILD ,AS IM NOT THAT TYPE OF PERSON.,, I AM REGRETING I DID SPEND THAT MUCH ON A PC,, AS IM CLEARED OUT,, A LESSON LEARNED,,, NEVER AGAIN

LAD I DIDNT POST POST THIS TO TRY AND BRAG ABOUT THE BUILD ,AS IM NOT THAT TYPE OF PERSON.,, I AM REGRETING I DID SPEND THAT MUCH ON A PC,, AS IM CLEARED OUT,, A LESSON LEARNED,,, NEVER AGAIN

Look, I probably came across a bit harsh.

But the factis, unless you do high end modelling or rendering etc you will not need the 12 threads of that CPU. Also, for gaming, a CPU 1/3 the price performs better.

24GB ram is mental as well, 4GB is MORE than enough for games (they are designed to use as little memory as can be). 8GB is the sweet spot these days.

24GB I could understand for a video editing / 3d rendering professional workstation.

The G1 is a decent motherboard, but once again, I would have gone P67 - or better yet, waited a month or so for Z68.

Its really just the CPU/Ram/Mobo comnination that just don;t make sense. Your other components are excellent choices.

If you can, I'd return them, save yourself a few quid, and get a better performing machine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement