Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First appointment in Our Lady of lourdes

Options
  • 19-04-2011 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi
    I am currently 10wks pregnant and due for my booking in appointment in our lady of lourdes drogheda when i will be 13 wks. I am going public as i hope to go through the MLU which i have heard great reports about.
    We haven't told anyone about the pregnancy as we want to wait to have a scan. My question is will i have a scan at this booking appointment or should i book a private one. There is no mention of scan on the appointment letter. It seems to vary when women get scans so does anyone know about OLOL.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭SanFran07

Yes you'll generally have a scan at your booking visit. Best of luck with the MLU - its a fantastic service.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

They do the blood pressure urine and weight check,then the form filling. it's best to bring a urine sample with you that day cos you'll need a full bladder for the scan. then the blood tests and finally upstairs for your scan.

Scan is on the 2nd floor, you go right to the end of the hallway (past the row of seats) after you come out of the lift..there's usually a girl sitting at the desk and you give her your orange card and then sit and wait to be called. It'll take about 2 hours in all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 josephine139

What is MLU??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Midwifery Led Unit . . as opposed to the consultant led care.. you only see midwives and you have a separate unit to the normal delivery rooms etc. however you have to be in the best health to be accepted on to it.. i've had 3 very straightforward pregnancies and deliveries but because i have some allergies that have nothing to do with pregnancy i won't be accepted...

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭SanFran07

The MLU is amazing - you labour in your own private 'apartment' with ensuite, tv, fridge etc...and have the option of labouring in their fantastic deep birth pools. As long as your pregnancy is healthy your care is with the Midwives who will spend around 30 minutes with you at each appointment. If anything out of the ordinary comes up you'll go see a Doctor and if it gets resolved you'll go back under the care of the Midwives.

You can choose the times you want your appointments and you're rarely kept waiting. You can have as many birth partners as you want and your partner can sleep over after baby arrives. You have all the same pain relief options but if you did decide to have the epidural you'll go downstairs to the main labour ward.

Your Midwife comes out to visit you at home too. Can't say enough about it - but I would like to see the acceptance criteria relaxed a bit so more Mums could avail of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭shelly_g

Just to note the MLU wasnt mentioned at my first appointment till I asked about it so make sure you express your interest in it

you wont get a decision untill after your scan

im 21 weeks gone and have an appointment with MLU next month - really hoping to stay with them for entire pregnancy and birth

I found the booking in appointment very relaxing and staff were more than nice - I was there just over the 2 hours so not too bad

Best of luck and Congrats ;)

Advertisement