Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Broken connector on external Hard drive

• 19-04-2011 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭

I have an External Omega Hard drive and I managed to break the usb connector at the back, the hard drive itself is ok I reckon, how easy is it to get the data off this? Thanks in advance.

Same device as this except 250GB
    Iomega-Prestige-500-GB-USB-2.0-Portable-External-Hard-Drive.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

You can buy a 3.5" caddy for the drive (cost from 10euro to 30euro depending on brand/quality). You will however have to determine if the drive inside is IDE or SATA. If you open the Iomega casing, remove the drive and post the model of the hard drive, I can tell you if it's IDE or SATA. Alternatively, just look at the back of the hard drive, if it has a load of pins where the connector to the Iomega board plugs into, it's IDE, if it looks like a small connection, with a small cable, it's sata.

Edit: It's a 2.5" judging from that picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

Sata it seems

Seagate Momentus 5400.4
    250gb

The connector has broken off the motherboard so would this also come with the shell? Cheers for your help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭yomamasflavour

"The connector has broken off the motherboard so would this also come with the shell?"

Did you break a part of your laptop/desktop or are you still talking about the external drive?

Ah no, the only part broken is the external hard drive connection that my USB plugs into which was connected the motherboard chip in the harddrive! the hard drive itself is fine, as is the laptop, all I want to do is get access to the hard drive itself! Hope that explains it!

What exactly does come with the hd shell?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

all you need is the
    drive itself,slide it out from the motherboard , slide it in to the new slots in the caddy, there s 2 slots, data ,power .see below,
    http://www.interfacebus.com/SATA_Pinout.html
    make sure its in all the way, then plug the caddy into the pc thru the usb
    cable,Depending on the os it may take 1 to 3mins to,detect and set up the device/ drive.IT,ll probably be drive e or f in my computer.
    So just ignore the old case and motherboard.
    The caddy has a pcb inside with a sata data and power socket for installing, 1 drive, and 1 usb mini interface , on the outside, with a mini usb to standard usb cable for connecting the unit a pc.

Nice one, cheers for all the help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭yomamasflavour

Oh ok, when you said motherboard, I thought you meant something different.

Though that ebay link is for a 3.5" drive, whereas the one in the picture (first post) is a 2.5" drive.

2.5" drive needs a 2.5" caddy.

As regards whats included, it depends on the one you buy, but most (2.5") ebay ones come with a caddy, 1 or 2 usb cables, screws, screwdriver, cd and a pouch.

E.g.
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/2-5-Laptop-SATA-Hard-Drive-Enclosure-USB-HD-Caddy-Case-/250796072989?pt=UK_Collectables_HardDriveEnclosures_RL&hash=item3a649c601d

Ok cool, that should do then! Nice one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

A basic one in maplins is 15 euro, comes with usb cable ,they have around 5 models,2.5inch sata ,im presuming the drive is 2.5inch, not 3.5inch sata.
    Its in a white or grey box.

• Advertisement
Advertisement