Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Riverfest

• 19-04-2011 9:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭

You are hereLifestyle>Entertainment

Riverfest worth ‘up to €20m’ to Limerick city

Mayor Maria Byrne pictured with Lorraine Turner & Chef John Flynn at the launch of Riverfest 2011
    By Alan Owens
    Published on Monday 18 April 2011 14:27

SHANNON Development has estimated that the upcoming Riverfest weekend could generate as much as €20 million in a visitor spend for the local economy on the May Bank Holiday weekend.

Riverfest will be bolstered by Munster playing at home to Harlequins in the Amlin Cup semi-final on Saturday and the Great Limerick Run on Sunday, which will both bring thousands of people into the city.

Eoghan Prendergast, Limerick Development Manager with Shannon Development, told the Limerick Leader he believed the economic impact for the city from Riverfest and the various events would be “on the upper side of €15-20 million”.

“It is a massive boost, particularly this year and as it happened, thanks to Munster, with the addition of the Amlin Cup match, that has meant a rejigging of a few of the events, but when you add that into an already busy weekend we reckon that it is on the upper side of €15-20 million,” he explained.

Riverfest was launched officially last week and the programme for the by-now well established event is well stocked, with Ireland’s largest BBQ, a free live open air rock concert, a water sports extravaganza and a huge fireworks display over the Shannon just some of the highlights pointed to by Mayor Maria Byrne, who launched the event.

“The Great Limerick Run along with the BBQ, the big match between Munster and Harlequins and all the other events taking place means that Limerick will be alive and buzzing and a fantastic place to be over the May Bank Holiday weekend,” she said.

The popular Continental Market will return again this year, running over the four days of the event. The Milk Market will play host to several events over the weekend, with a ‘Fashion Friday’ event transforming the multi-purpose venue into a ‘shopper’s heaven’ with flea markets and live shows, while top Irish rock band The Coronas will play a gig under the ‘Big Top’ on the Saturday night.

and

The Coronas set to rock Limerick’s Milk Market

The Coronas - November 2010. Photo: Dara Munnis
    By Alan Owens
    Published on Tuesday 12 April 2011 14:00

TOP Irish rock band The Coronas are to be the first act to play in Limerick’s newest outdoor, multi-use venue, with a gig in the ‘Big Top’ at the newly redeveloped Milk Market facility.

The high-profile Irish rock band will perform to a huge crowd in the 200-year old market on Saturday, April 30, marking the high point of the Riverfest celebrations on the May Bank Holiday weekend.

The announcement had been mooted for some time, with various bodies looking at the market, redeveloped to the tune of €2 million, since it opened last summer. Music venue Dolan’s are to put on this large-scale gig in the modern, all-weather facility under the 1.8 tonne, half acre canopy, or “Ireland’s largest tent” as architect Michael Healy has described it.

The venue are delighted to be able to put on this large, outdoor, high-profile show, their first since the Warehouse’s 10th anniversary celebrations on Limerick Docks in 2008, and are said to be gearing up to announce more gigs in the ‘Big Top’, pending the successful running of this upcoming gig.

The Coronas are extremely popular in their home country, selling out three nights in a row at The Olympia at Christmas, as well as being special guests on The Script’s European Tour and they have just returned from a US Tour that included sell out shows in New York, Vancouver and San Francisco. Sir Paul McCartney personally requested that they open his Dublin show at the RDS last summer, while their debut album ‘Heroes or Ghosts’ has exceeded double platinum sales in Ireland. The likeable pop-rock band are particularly fond of playing in Limerick.

“Whenever we play Dolan’s the reaction of the Limerick crowd is always electric, so we are looking forward to recreating the intimate atmosphere of the Warehouse on a larger scale,” explained Danny O’Reilly, frontman with the band.

Local man Ivan St John will play support at the gig, which will be an early one, with doors open at 7.30pm, and the Coronas expected to finish around 10.30pm. Tickets for The Coronas are €20 and available from www.dolanspub.com.

A large open-air concert will also take place in Arthurs Quay Park that Saturday, organised by HMV Cruises Street as part of the Riverfest weekend. The line-up has not been announced yet, but the Leader understands that The Flaws, Royseven, Windings and the High Kings will all perform, while a special guest is to be announced this Thursday at the festival’s launch.

Is Riverfest being promoted/advertised well? 10 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 10 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

I'll yet again link the report that outlines the economic impact of a big Munster match to Limerick. http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/578.php

Now that that's out of the way, let's hope this year's Riverfest can build on last year's successes and reverse the somewhat decline in festivals since Eightball's one ages and ages back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭CCSL

Lots of info up on Limerick.ie about times and events etc.

Was at the launch event for "Fashion Friday" which will be fun with catwalk through the milk IMGP8325.jpgmarket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

ugh. fashion show. "how can we give more money to celia?"

someone please think outside the box and let me do my fupping Zombie Festival already!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

zuroph wrote: »

someone please think outside the box and let me do my fupping Zombie Festival already!

Don't think the fashion show is aimed at men, Zuroph, afaik they are even showing the royal wedding so people can gawk at Kate Midleton's outfit. (now if i could gawk at Kate without the outfit...). I personally can't wait until BigPink and TalkingClock file their reports of the fashion show (I can't be alone in assuming they are women?).

County Limerick is associated with Donn, the Celtic God of the Dead. Maybe work that angle for Zombiefest? We need to work any damn angle we can to get things going in this town.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭jmch81

All for your zombie get together, as long as I'm allowed to wear my new t shirt
    http://qwertee.com/product/zombie-pooh/

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

F**kin Coronas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

You could also go to any of the number of zombie walks that get held in other spots in Ireland each year.

Would be great to see one in Limerick city as they tend to attract loads of attention and are great fun for those involved and watching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

is the milk market big enough to fit Celia's ego? might be a tight squeeze

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

there are enough nerd festivals around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Jesus, €20 million euros now??? After all the events that generated 10 mil a pop for the city, we should nearly be living in a replica Dubai at this stage. Who makes these calculations up?

Also....The Coronas are ****.

• Advertisement

DarkJager wrote: »
    Jesus, €20 million euros now??? After all the events that generated 10 mil a pop for the city, we should nearly be living in a replica Dubai at this stage. Who makes these calculations up?

Also....The Coronas are ****.

Well don't forget that there was talk of how the races last weekend were bringing millions into the city, yet many city centre retailers on Monday and Tuesday reported their worst weekend for 15 to 20 years in terms of takings. Was an article in the Leader/Chronicle about it as well.

Although Riverfest, if done right, is a different kettle of fish as it is a genuine chance to get some extra cash spent in the city centre.

Icky Thump wrote: »
    there are enough nerd festivals around

At least it would be something new and different in the city. How many weeks has it been since the last public fashion show with catwalk that Holman Lee was involved in? She is involved in one or two of them each year in the Crescent, and the city centre one will be more of the same.

Fair enough have it as it will get some people stopping for a look, but Zuroph's idea is no less good, and would be a seperate attraction to something that gets done a few times a year by the same faces.

The more things that could bring extra folk in the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

Can someone please explain the logic of the barbeque competition?
    Any year we've gone in to it we've seen all the gorgeous food being cooked but never go anything to eat there. Are they supposed to give food out to people? If not, what is the point of it?

the competition is €100 to enter, and for that they're given 1 chicken breast, one steak, and one lamb chop or something. there's judges who get to taste it. any extra food they have is paid for by themselves to give out to people, so a lot of teams dont/can't afford to do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

Hardly a spectator event so unless you like being driven crazy by the gorgeous smells. Will give it a miss then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

not a **** - a genius business model :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Not strictly part of Riverfest but a good night of comedy and music can be found in Dolans Warehouse tomorrow night 28/04/2011. Nostril Shorts (Dryadssaddle) or known to his mother as Garry Carroll brings his smutty but hilarious show to the Warehouse along with Tralee's 066 Crew, Limerick Guidette 'Haunty Beor' and RTE's Storyland entrant 'The Outlaw Concy Ryan'. €5 ain't bad for a night of good alternative comedy talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭DaraDali

hey guys... if anyone knws someone selling tickets for the Coroans on sat night...

can ye please pm me ... a mate had promised but he let me down... any help would be great... :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Is it sold out?I was going to get a ticket today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Can't wait to get fleeced at the "French" market today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,340 ✭✭✭✭phog

The Fireworks Display are due to start at 21:00 hrs tomorrow night.

http://limerick.ie/riverfest/whatson/name,30934,en.html

Taking part in the BBQ tomorrow as zombies :p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Added poll

Maybe im wrong but neither the Limerick Post or Chronicle seem to have offical Riverfest adverts with all the information/line ups

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

just to make things confusing, the Limerick Post has the fireworks as being on SUNDAY and the run being on Monday 01 May.

just to make things confusing, the Limerick Post has the fireworks as being on SUNDAY and the run being on Monday 01 May.

Hehe one of the papers had the date and day wrong last year for the run as well. I remember getting a phonecall from a friend telling me I was getting ready for the wrong day.:D

Was delighted to run in it last year as the first Limerick run was my 10th marathon, and this year's run will be my 15th.

So will be hoping that come next year I can make the Limerick run my 20th and try to keep the Limerick run as my landmark run each year.

Theres not even a full page advert or flyer/map thing in the papers

Theres posters up for it in Dublin apparently, maybe the budget is gone into advertising it nationally. the flyer for timetable is available on the website.

Yes it is but what would 20 or 30,000 flyers cost for such a big event,get the Local papers print a page for free im sure they would
    Flyers could be dropped at the hotels

Id be interested to see what advertising is at the airport/train station

Check out this free music weekend in Galway

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=195035293865235

And where did i get the link?Here on Boards:)

• Advertisement

bigpink wrote: »
    Yes it is but what would 20 or 30,000 flyers cost for such a big event,get the Local papers print a page for free im sure they would
    Flyers could be dropped at the hotels

Id be interested to see what advertising is at the airport/train station

Check out this free music weekend in Galway

http://www.facebook.com/pages/SIDie/126160657400960

And where did i get the link?Here on Boards:)

thats the SID link again pink....

point taken though. You should send an email to shannon Development, see what their stance on it is..

Advertisement