Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recording sounds/environments

Options
  • 19-04-2011 9:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭

I'm going travelling after my exams to Vietnam and Thailand. I want to record sounds and environments with some sort of handheld thing for editing and sampling sounds with hopefully for using in later productions.

Do any of you have any recommendations of the type of thing to use for recording? It has to record digitally and be small. I was thinking a digital dictaphone but then the sound quality might not be great?

Anyone have any experience or suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Future Music magazine do a bit towards the end of each mag rating all the different types of equipment. They have a section on field recorders. I haven't looked at them in a while but there was some highly rated digital field recorders that were no bigger than an old style dictaphone last time I looked.

I can have a look at the latest mag later tonight if you want. Should be able to scan and post it up here for you.

Good idea by the way. You'll definately hear some sounds you've never heard before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭jiltloop

http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/h1/

I picked up one of these a few months ago for €95 in K'n'B music in Maynooth. Sound quality is great and it's very small and handy to use. The fault I'd have with it is that it is very noisy when handling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

Nice1 Clanket, I'd really appreciate if you could scan it up here if you find anything like it there. Yeah I'm hoping to capture some intersting sounds/phrases etc. Hopefully it comes off ok

Cool Jiltloop yeah that would be the very thing I'd look for. I'll keep in mind the noise that you've mentioned with that model you have. Will do some research and check reviews of other makes etc. Maybe these might be mentioned in some FM reviews and the like etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Oldgregg does alot of this for his music,Maybe pm him

• Advertisement

seannash wrote: »
    Oldgregg does alot of this for his music,Maybe pm him

Cool thanks Sean

Here you go Red Dave. I'll have to invest in one myself at some stage.

Sorry about the delay.

156210.jpg

Excellent!!

Thanks so much for that :D

Advertisement