Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Countess's Markievicz 1916 Revolver makes €7000 at Auction

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Yeah Tack,and there is a rumour that she was using Superforce ammo and that was why she could group so well ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Any Irish shooter would be proud to own her firearm.

If I got it I'd never sell it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

What make was it ? It looked in pretty poor condition . Did it stay in the country ?

rowa wrote: »
    What make was it ? It looked in pretty poor condition . Did it stay in the country ?

Don't know, No, AFAIK.

I heard it was a S&W but not sure

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

It was(is) a .32 S&W

• Advertisement

Vizzy wrote: »
    It was(is) a .32 S&W

I'd hate to see it leave the country.

The National Museum should have bought it.

It's part of Irish History and part of our heritage

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Please no.
    Those lovely curators took welding torches to the actions on the lee enfield rifles they had on display and welded them shut. :mad:
    Better that it go to a private collection than be destroyed in the name of deactivation.

Sparks wrote: »
    Please no.
    Those lovely curators took welding torches to the actions on the lee enfield rifles they had on display and welded them shut. :mad:
    Better that it go to a private collection than be destroyed in the name of deactivation.

Well the fact that it left the state is a disgrace.

As for welding the LE's shut...........

I can understand why they did not want some smack head robbing them.

But I can't think of a better way to secure them cheaply.

It's a shame......
    Irony is nobody could have licensed it anyway.......

Sparks wrote: »
    Please no.

There is something deeply disturbing about that fact , the firearms used to free the country from foreign rule are then Needlessly butchered , says a lot about the wallys that run this unfortunate country.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

I'd hate to see it leave the country.

It's part of Irish History and part of our heritage

Righttt!! Lets see what have we done with our history and heritage ??

If it was worth a few bob we have flogged it off,or let it be nicked or let it fall into rack and ruin.Some huge and very unique and beautiful period houses fell into ruin because of our attitudes to "the Ascendency houses" as a sign of oppression over us.
    Or gone away and let others invest their personal monies into it and then tried to muscle in and claim the rewards of it.
    Ironically Lissadell House,the Countesses old home is the prime example of this. A collection of roe deer trophies that were intoduced to the Lissadel estate and wiped out by the 1930s,was sold off ,which had scientific value for buttons.As a matter of fact the Irish Govt should have bought that house in the "awash with money" Celtic Tiger times,but werent intrested of course.That would be like the French not being intrested anymore in the Versailes palace,and letting somone private buy it.

Reckon if somone came in and offered a few quid for the book of Kells and the Ardagh Chalice,we'd flog it to them as well!!:mad:
    We built a motorway through Tara,a huge historical area,but couldnt be arsed or are too cheap to put up a saftey railing on the Skelligs to prevent tourists falling to their deaths,and claim it's UNESCO remit that a saftey railing would be "unsightly"in this area.

One of our fellow boards members has a better private collection now of historical Irish made and related firearms in California than can be found in our museuems.Fair dues to him too for doing this at least they are safe from the uncaring and paranoid of this country who would proably scrap or melt them without a moments hesitation!:mad:
    So you expect us to appreciate the historical significance of Devs,Mac Brides,Markivitez's and anyone elses guns??

We as a race know the cost of everything and the value of nothing!
    Until we change that mindset,if ever,we deserve to have our historical artifacts stolen or sold out from under us by our own to the outsiders,who actually appreciate those items and wonder at what fools we are to sell willingly our heritage to the highest bidder.:(
    We deserve no better!:(:(

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

I was walking by Bolands Mill's the other day and thought
    WTF

An intrinsic part of the Infant Irish state
    Let fall to rack and ruin

In the words of W B Yeats

Romantic Ireland's dead and gone, it's with O'Leary in the grave

(or sold off at Auction)

Paved over paradise ,put up a parking lot.:(:mad:
    Applied a lot to us here in recent times.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Paved over paradise ,put up a parking lot.:(:mad:
    Applied a lot to us here in recent times.

Counting crows, very good

Except they turned the gasworks into an apartment complex, and Bolands was left to rot.

I can't believe at the lack of interest in this thread either, but it is typically Irish, Nobody cares.........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

But I can't think of a better way to secure them cheaply.

Eh... They could have just ran a discreet steel cable through the trigger guard. That is what they do in the imperial war museum;

Ferdinand-Pistol_998344c.jpg

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/3076932/Pistol-that-sparked-First-World-War-goes-on-display.html

But no... Over here they vandalise historical artefacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

Considering the historical significance and the fact that it was probably the most memorable thing about the woman... €7,000 seems cheap?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭xesse

relax there for a minute guys from what i was told that pistol was deactivated before the auction took place
    l .32 Calibre Smith & Weston Hand Gun was given by Countess Markievicz to Seamus Babington of the 3rd Tipperary Brigade, I.R.A.. The deactivated gun is listed with a E800-E1400 estimate, but could fetch more

I was walking by Bolands Mill's the other day and thought
    WTF

An intrinsic part of the Infant Irish state
    Let fall to rack and ruin

In the words of W B Yeats

Romantic Ireland's dead and gone, it's with O'Leary in the grave

(or sold off at Auction)

I think the crowd who owned the mills wanted to build on the site or convert the mill to apartments , its probabily in the ownership of nama or someone similar, but it would make a great museum especially as the centenary of 1916 is approaching .

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Justashotgun

What an interesting lady, just googled her name and read a few pages of her contribution to the formation of the state. Im suprised the gun didnt go for more!
    That's why I love this auld forum, its not always about the guns, sometimes you get a history lesson. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

If anyone is ever interested in seening some of Frank Aikens guns let me know. Could organise a boards day out in Dundalk.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Aiken

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kryten

xesse wrote: »
    relax there for a minute guys from what i was told that pistol was deactivated before the auction took place
    l .32 Calibre Smith & Weston Hand Gun was given by Countess Markievicz to Seamus Babington of the 3rd Tipperary Brigade, I.R.A.. The deactivated gun is listed with a E800-E1400 estimate, but could fetch more

Thats right, some lad from the auction house was on Newstalk and said that the gun was deactivated. Bloody shame! Typical Ireland :mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

One of our fellow boards members has a better private collection now of historical Irish made and related firearms in California than can be found in our museuems.Fair dues to him too for doing this at least they are safe from the uncaring and paranoid of this country who would proably scrap or melt them without a moments hesitation!:mad:

I assume that's directed my way!
    did you see the thompson that went for 7.2K? I would've bought that and this pistol if I had been told in time!
    Lads if any of you ever here of cool firearms stuff like this coming up, pls let me know.

My next two acquisitions (hopefully! The bids are in waiting for auction day) :

6088278_36Z1AVJFY.jpg

6088278_36Z1AVNGO.jpg

6088278_36Z1AVRLR.jpg[/QUOTE]

RVA1-K-F2-L.jpg

BTW, I'll be in Ireland at the end of may, any of youse fancy a pint?

Yup It sure was!:D Hopefully future shooting generations might thank you!
    Because we sure as Hell cant thank our custodians of historical relics for buying this stuff up for the future.:mad::mad:
    a Thompson for 7.2 K??No never heard of it.Whose Irish historical figures personal gun was that now thats gone??:(Could you get it into the US without running afoul of macClure/Volkmer act,and the Klintoon /UN ban on importing Full auto stuff into CONUS?

That Blunderbuss looks fammilar too BTW.Wouldnt be imported from around the Clare area bechance?:confused:

Love to meet up for a pint,and tap the returned wild colonial boy for a round or two..:D:D:D

Yup It sure was!:D Hopefully future shooting generations might thank you!
    Because we sure as Hell cant thank our custodians of historical relics for buying this stuff up for the future.:mad::mad:
    a Thompson for 7.2 K??No never heard of it.Whose Irish historical figures personal gun was that now thats gone??:(Could you get it into the US without running afoul of macClure/Volkmer act,and the Klintoon /UN ban on importing Full auto stuff into CONUS?

That Blunderbuss looks fammilar too BTW.Wouldnt be imported from around the Clare area bechance?:confused:

Love to meet up for a pint,and tap the returned wild colonial boy for a round or two..:D:D:D

Same auction sold the Thompson.
    I reckon I could have imported it (I'm setting up a historical trust for precisely this reason)

http://www.whytes.ie/4ImageDisplay.a...0416&IMAGE=296

the blunderbuss is up for auction on may 20th at rock Island Auction house.
    It has a DU police stamp if that helps you identify it.

I can put you in touch with people selling guns from the Larne gun running if you like?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larne_Gun_Running

In the years preceding the First World War 1914-1918, the most important issue facing Ireland and its people was that of Home Rule. The island of Ireland had been ruled by Britain for 700 years, and had faced numerous rebellions from armed Irishmen which cost countless lives.

By the year 1912, there were two clearly opposing armed forces in Ireland – the Ulster Volunteers (UVF) and the Irish Volunteers (IV), both of whom were actively procuring arms and munitions for use in the civil war which was facing them.

The UVF boasted 80,000 men while their opposition the IV accounted for 100,000.

The task of arming these large group of volunteers was mammoth.

Both sides , over a period of years, had imported small caches of arms and ammunition from Great Britain hidden on person, in suitcases and in motor vehicles.

Then on 25th April 1914, the most audacious importation of arms occurred under the cover of darkness at Larne in County Antrim closely followed at Donaghadee in County Down , organised by Major Fred Crawford of the UVF. 30,000 rifles along with 5 million rounds of ammunition were off loaded from the SS Clydevalley. The consignment, purchased on the arms market from dealer Benny Spiro of the Waffen Munition Und Militar-Effekten in Hamburg (who also sold weapons to the IV) comprised the following rifles -

15,000 M1904 Mannlicher

5,000 M1888 Gew

10,000 Italian Vetterli-Vitali M1870 / 87

chem wrote: »
    I can put you in touch with people selling guns from the Larne gun running if you like?

please do.
    There's a 1904 Mannlicher for sale here that the seller claims is an "Irish Mannlicher", but there's no provenance

harmoniums wrote: »
    please do.
    There's a 1904 Mannlicher for sale here that the seller claims is an "Irish Mannlicher", but there's no provenance

All the ones I seen here have a UVF stamp on the stock. I would most likely even get you the name and address or the family who owned it ;)

Will PM you details etc when I do my ground work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

chem wrote: »
    Both sides , over a period of years, had imported small caches of arms and ammunition from Great Britain hidden on person, in suitcases and in motor vehicles.

We are way off topic on this.
    FWIW, Constance was supposedly one of those at Howth to unload the Asgard, another big arms importation.

OK, so she was the first female MP, but, frankly, I regard the woman as a complete poseur and self-publicist; she made many claims that were questionable, (e.g. shooting the unarmed Constable Lahiffe) and too many of her photos are posed, armed, in uniform and of the drama queen variety.
    P.

". . . she curled up completely. 'I am only a woman', she cried, 'and you cannot shoot a woman. You must not shoot a woman.' She never stopped moaning, the whole time she was in the courtroom . . . I think we all felt slightly disgusted . . . she had been preaching to a lot of silly boys, death and glory, die for your country, etc, and yet she was literally crawling. I won't say any more, it revolts me still."
    As written by
    William Evelyn Wylie, a judge who remained on the Free State bench until 1936, had actually served with the Trinity Officer Training Corps against the Rising. [Taken from Kevin Meyers opinionary of the Irish times April 20th 2011]

Never liked that woman from a historical POV.Rich bloddy socialite,who never had to do a tap of work,or worry about her next few quid or meal.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 tentalous11

harmoniums wrote: »
    please do.

Hi I am new to the forum but have just seen the above title in relation to the 1904 mannlicher for sale. If this is still for sale could you please point me in the right direction as I am interested,

Aubrey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

". . . she curled up completely. 'I am only a woman', she cried, 'and you cannot shoot a woman. You must not shoot a woman.' She never stopped moaning, the whole time she was in the courtroom . . . I think we all felt slightly disgusted . . . she had been preaching to a lot of silly boys, death and glory, die for your country, etc, and yet she was literally crawling. I won't say any more, it revolts me still."
    As written by
    William Evelyn Wylie, a judge who remained on the Free State bench until 1936, had actually served with the Trinity Officer Training Corps against the Rising. [Taken from Kevin Meyers opinionary of the Irish times April 20th 2011]

Never liked that woman from a historical POV.Rich bloddy socialite,who never had to do a tap of work,or worry about her next few quid or meal.:rolleyes:
    Nice one grizz,a lot of people cry and repent when they have time to think about when death faces them,and the same people can die with no problem when they don't have time to think about it.She wore the uniform and showed her colours and every little bit counted whether they were runner's or fighter's,what about the people that stood in the background and done sweet fcuk all and spat at volounteer's and later called them heroe's, and what has rich got to do with it, do you think only poor people are allowed revolt!
    You just quoted that hated judge William Evelyn Wylie, the volounteer's (people that were not payed for their services not like the occupying forces) and that woman has a name Countess Constance Markievicz.

Advertisement