Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

sick calf

• 19-04-2011 9:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

had a calf born a week ago and needed to be stomach tubed. the next day he was holding his tongue out and he has been doing this ever since. he isnt sucking much because his tongue is in the way when he tries to suck. he is just getting enough to survive.:( hasnt been thriving and today he is looking like a friesian calf.:mad: his eyes are back and his tongue is out very far. he seems very lazy and will only walk about two steps and then he will have to stop. does anyone know what this might be?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭c-note

did you tube him yourself?
    Had a calf with a damaged osophigas after being tubed (badly).
    Just a thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

sounds like he is dehydrated maybe, they wont have any appetide if so, might be no harm to tube him alot of fluids tomorrow, lifeaid and stuff like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

pneumonia ?

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭manjou

Is calf belgium blue seen some pb blue calves with this problem tongue to big.cures itself after a while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 cows123

the calf is off the maine anjou bull arbitre and a limousin x cow. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭manjou

Have maine bull and have not had this problem with him. What are arbrite calves like and are they easy calved.

the calf was actually born by caesarian but a brilliant looking calf when he was born. he has a bone bigger than a charolais an end like a belgian blue and he's as big as a month old calf.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

The tongue out to me would indicate a difficult calving where calf was stressed. I'm sure the cow was forcing for a while before the caesarean.

The sucken eyes is obviously from dehyration. As recommended by others, he possibly needs to be stomach tubed for a bit to give him the best chance.

I hope he pulls through cows123. Sounds like a great calf.

How's he now?

How's the calf that came blind getting on? (or was that your calf?)

calf is deffinitely improving. he was able to follow me around the field today:D.
    no muckit dont think that was my calf.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

Muckit wrote: »
    The tongue out to me would indicate a difficult calving where calf was stressed. I'm sure the cow was forcing for a while before the caesarean.

The sucken eyes is obviously from dehyration. As recommended by others, he possibly needs to be stomach tubed for a bit to give him the best chance.

I hope he pulls through cows123. Sounds like a great calf.

How's he now?

How's the calf that came blind getting on? (or was that your calf?)
    was texting wiggy today and calf is good:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

calf that was born blind so i thought--think i was foolish...is out with its mammy 2day..100% false alarm, or else was poor eyes then improved! alls ok anyway! thanks for enquiring..can get it registered now..all good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

AH.......now I see my mistake, got 'wiggy 123' and 'cows 123' mixed up! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭invicta

would be possible diphtheria check under calf's tongue for a blister if present treat with streptomycin; for four days that would do the trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

I had one of those last year, First time ever. the Vet reckoned that the cow was nearly too long calving and the forcing meant the calf bit down on it's tongue casing damage to the nerve. Tongue was sticking out at one side for a bout a month. He could suck for 10-15 seconds and stop. Nearly broke my heart for the first two days, but he came good.

He came on fine and was sold last December out of the shed ( still had horns as I didn't want to risk the stress of dehorning).

• Registered Users Posts: 30 aghead

Would you mind throwing up a pic of the maineanjou calf "cows123"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

Also wondering how that calf turned out, any chance of a pic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

cows123 wrote: »
    the calf is off the maine anjou bull arbitre and a limousin x cow. :(
    Any chance you'd put up a pic of him? I'd Love to see that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

SNAP !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

:D Wondering myself have these maine anjou much to offer, cant find much info on them - some fine looking bull weanlings on donedeal.

Advertisement