Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Wheelchair Would you Recommend?

Options
  • 19-04-2011 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭

My father is 77 years of age, he has Parkinson Disease, Its not the worst case of it but when he walks or is standing for a long time his back begins to hurt him,

Most of the time here i have a car so he gets around in that , but were i do have problem is when we go away on holidays say to Spain i dont have a car so when we walk he has the prob especially if we go on bus trips

So im just wondering what people might recommend in the Wheelchair range ? and were

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

that really depends on his needs - does he need a chair he can get in and out of at whim? does he need any bells and whistles (like a chair that raises itself or lies back?) - my mothers latest chair is a quickie salsa. good chair - lots of bells and whistles. it uses a battery to propel it,. but might not be suited to someone who just needs a chair every now n again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭faolteam

he is 5ft 10 ,

11 stone

it would have to be one that is pushed and im thinking possibily a travel one ???

might be best to pick up one of the regular push ones? you know the kind porters in a hospital use. easiest to travel with. but - i must say - a chair with better suspension/seating material. the ones in the hosp usually leave your bum close to the ground! you might well pick up such a chair - good nick and second hand thus less expensive - on gumtree, done deal, buy n sell, freecycle... can be harder travelling with one that needs batteries

just a thought - might be best if he goes with you when you go to view a chair before buying - to check it suits his frame and leg length

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

http://www.murrays.ie/retail.html

Might be worth going to see these people? They're based on Talbot Street, in Dublin. Another option would be to hook up with an Occupational Therapist - either through your local HSE Office, or privately, through www.aoti.ie.

Best of luck. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement