Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wasps nest

Options
  • 20-04-2011 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭

Earlier today i found a wasps nest in my garden shed. The shed is about 10 x 6 foot and the nest is suspended from the ceiling. I have noticed about half a dozen wasps hanging around. The nest is in its early stages (about the size of a golf ball) and it was not there on Saturday
    I rang Rentokil and was quoted 60 euro to get rid of it. Does anyone have any other suggestions.
    I will like to get rid of it asap as i couldnt let my 3 year old son play in the back yard for fear of him getting stung.
    Also my dog sleeps in the shed at night and i have made a bed in the kitchen for it tonight.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭decies

Had wasps nest in hedge size of football, my self and mate put on lots of covering clothes, attacked it with wasps spray , and knocked it out of hedge with rake , no real problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Golf ball size?
    Just get a jam jar...at night, put it over the nest so that it and contents are trapped and slide thin cardboard (cereal packet) between jar and roof so sealing in contents which should include the Queen and remove from shed.

If Queen is released, she is likely to go back and start again.

Note that Wasps do a lot of good in the garden devouring greenfly and other pests, they pollinate as well.

They are a huge issue in late summer with regard to fruit though. This is after the nests have finished and its each to their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

http://www.buy4now.ie/woodiesdiy/productdetail.aspx?pid=8297&loc=P&catid=14.24

There are several products like this, a spray-on wasp nest destryer.

Stand back, spray and run like the clappers, would not take a chance with jamjars and cardboard when dealing with wasps.

Hit it while it's small, good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Bartyman

Try spraying at dusk / night, I had one full size wasps next in the shed several years ago, bought similiar to above spray, went out when dark, sprayed and next morning removed it.

Wasps are good for the garden, but with a small child, the risk if being stung is too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭l5lr

Had exactly the same type of nest in my shed last Monday. Wasn't risking going in myself incase I made a balls of it.

Got it removed by fingal pest control within 30 mins, shed was sprayed incase the queen was out and the house is guaranteed for the year :) (Hoping the queen was in the nest he removed and isn't flying around looking for somewhere else to nest). Was talking to the guy, he said theres at least 25 wasps in the 'golf ball' nest and it will turn into a 'fist sized' nest within a week if left as is. So I'd kill them yourself or get someone in before it gets any bigger!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭DoubleBogey

I know this isn't an option for the OP as he/she has a 3 year old, but apparently wasps will not set up a nest near an existing one. If you can put up with it for a summer you will have an empty nest left behind which should ward off any future queens. Don't know if it's true not but it's certainly working for me. I actually saw a big momma snooping around in the shed the other day. She went up to the nest a couple of times and eventually flew away. Plenty of other sheds out there for her!

Obviously a summer of wasps in your shed can be a bit of an inconvenience. You certainly don't want to go in there too often! But as for wasps flying around your garden, I found them to be perfectly harmless. They will only sting when under threat. And there is definitely no "infestation" as they will be flying off to other places and don't usually swarm except for around the nest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

martyeds wrote: »
    Earlier today i found a wasps nest in my garden shed. The shed is about 10 x 6 foot and the nest is suspended from the ceiling. I have noticed about half a dozen wasps hanging around. The nest is in its early stages (about the size of a golf ball) and it was not there on Saturday
    I rang Rentokil and was quoted 60 euro to get rid of it. Does anyone have any other suggestions.
    I will like to get rid of it asap as i couldnt let my 3 year old son play in the back yard for fear of him getting stung.
    Also my dog sleeps in the shed at night and i have made a bed in the kitchen for it tonight.

Thanks

Empty a can of "Raid" into the nest,give the shed a good squirt too then lock the door and retreat until the following day.

Wasps are a fcuking nuisance especially in a shed where they'll attack you if you get too close to the nest.

I certainly wouldnt want them nesting if there's a kid around.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭GaelMonfils

wasps are the work of the devil. I hate the little stripy basstards! Im a grown man, and ive made a holy show of my self on several occasions running and screaming like a little girl when face to face with wasps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I've just noticed one in our shed. It's very small yet so in the early stages of development. I'd be inclined to leave it be but my husband isn't so keen. He does a lot of work in there so I guess it's bye bye wasps. I havent decided how yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭l5lr

littlebug wrote: »
    I've just noticed one in our shed. It's very small yet so in the early stages of development. I'd be inclined to leave it be but my husband isn't so keen. He does a lot of work in there so I guess it's bye bye wasps. I havent decided how yet.

If you left it, come august you'd have around 25,000 angry wasps in your shed. Doubt your husband would enjoy sharing your shed with them :D

Best to take them at night, without any light so they won't see whats coming ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Zuiderzee wrote: »

Stand back, spray and run like the clappers, would not take a chance with jamjars and cardboard when dealing with wasps.
    I never need to run like the clappers. Do it when its dark and a cool night.
    There's nothing particularly technical about placing a jar over a golf ball.

Like many here, I've small kids, and I'd never want to have nasty wasp killing chemicals anywhere near them.

LB, I strongly advise you to deal with that golf ball....do not use clubs :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

:D I'll have to set the scene for my attack tomorrow i.e. move some of the stuff that's in the way and set up a ladder or chair or something. I'll obviously need some light.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭martyeds

Considering i started the thread i thought i should give you all an update. My wife purchased some sort of spray which you spray into the nest. I did it last night at around 9.30 it was dark at that time but not too dark. I sprayed about half of the can in the area of the nest. It created a foam all around the nest.
    Bit by bit, a lot of the foam started to fall off the ceiling. At this stage i could hear buzzing but i wasnt sure what part of the shed it was coming from. I sprayed more foam on the nest and surrounding area and left it.
    I went to examine my work this morning and found the nest empty!!!!
    I am wondering did the wasp die in the shed or was she not in the nest at the time.
    I will examine further this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭martyeds

I know this isn't an option for the OP as he/she has a 3 year old, but apparently wasps will not set up a nest near an existing one. If you can put up with it for a summer you will have an empty nest left behind which should ward off any future queens. Don't know if it's true not but it's certainly working for me. I actually saw a big momma snooping around in the shed the other day. She went up to the nest a couple of times and eventually flew away. Plenty of other sheds out there for her!

Obviously a summer of wasps in your shed can be a bit of an inconvenience. You certainly don't want to go in there too often! But as for wasps flying around your garden, I found them to be perfectly harmless. They will only sting when under threat. And there is definitely no "infestation" as they will be flying off to other places and don't usually swarm except for around the nest.

""but apparently wasps will not set up a nest near an existing one. If you can put up with it for a summer you will have an empty nest left behind which should ward off any future queens""

Someone told me i can buy a ""dummy nest"" and hang it in the shed. Like yourself he claims that wasps wont build near a rival colony. Wonder where can i purchase these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

Mothman wrote: »
    Like many here, I've small kids, and I'd never want to have nasty wasp killing chemicals anywhere near them.

No problem's there, use a petrol bomb - run like Ben Johnson on amphetemenes and whoosh - all chemicals evaporated, as is the wasp nest - and the shed - end of problem :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Talisman

I know this isn't an option for the OP as he/she has a 3 year old, but apparently wasps will not set up a nest near an existing one. If you can put up with it for a summer you will have an empty nest left behind which should ward off any future queens. Don't know if it's true not but it's certainly working for me.
    It's certainly not true in my case, unless there's a new property developer species of wasp. I took out a nest last weekend and today there are two nests within a couple of feet of the old site.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Got one of those battery insect killers last year - looks like a tennis racquet - one touch of it and they fry = very cruel I know but I'm terrified of wasps :eek:

Advertisement