Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Institute of Education VS Independent Academy

• 20-04-2011 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭

Basically...the title says it all. Which school is better for part-time tuition? I am taking up applied maths next year and I don't know which school would be better to learn from? My school doesn't offer Applied Maths so in order for me to do it I have to take it as an extra subject outside of school! :)

Also...now that i have mentioned Applied Maths...I was wondering if I could get some feedback from people who have done the course. I am fairly good at maths -- an A in honours for the junior (and I know this probably doesn't mean anything). I am worried that I will fail miserably at the subject...if I put the work in will I get a good grade or is it something that you have to be completely naturally good at? Like I am good at maths once I get it but with some things it may take a while for it to click but it always does! Any comments appreciated.

Sorry if my post makes no sense...I am tired so ... yeah....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I'd say Institute of Education. Aidan Roantree is a great (Applied) Maths teacher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

Can't advise you about either of the two schools, but can offer advice on Applied Maths.

If you put in the work you can do very well. It's a short course, and there's some abstract concepts you have to understand - but if you're willing to put in the work as you say, it should go grand :).

Good Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭iLikePiano99

Can't advise you about either of the two schools, but can offer advice on Applied Maths.

If you put in the work you can do very well. It's a short course, and there's some abstract concepts you have to understand - but if you're willing to put in the work as you say, it should go grand :).

Good Luck!

Thank you..thats really reassuring! I think I am definitely going to give it a go now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

I did applied maths by myself. no teacher. Here's the thing, in 3rd year I was failing maths, considered going to pass. Now I'm in first year maths in TCD and I've become so used to abstract thought i can revise and entire semester's worth in a day.

All Applied Maths needs is work. It's a beautiful subject if you put the time in. Get Oliver Murphy's book for it, and save your money.

All Applied Maths needs is the ability to think, although with the way the education system is going, they'll probably kill applied maths as well...

Advertisement