Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letterkenny Internet Cafe

Options
  • 20-04-2011 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭

Looking for an internet cafe in letterkenny. There used to be one in 4 Lanterns but it is no longer there. Same can be said for the one in video shop across from Charlies Cafe. Video shop is closed down. The Library is not an option as they shut early in the evening.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Theres one a few doors down from Mr. Chippies by the station roundabout, think its called LK Online or something similar.

Think theres another one next to Milan Night Club beside a Caribbean food shop

• Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I noticed one night I was up at the hospital that the internet booths (Eircom) have a charge of €1 for 10 minutes which adds up to €6 per hour which is scandalous.

What's the cost in the internet cafes?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

i think that LK online place is a quid for 15 mins or something

Universal books near cathedral has 2 internet pcs, its a euro an hour but you might have to wait a wee while to get on as it can be busy.

Also the one by mr chippy says online gaming. i was chatting to him the last day asking about it and its not PC gaming (the pcs all came from a chartbusters) but xbox live etc in a room at the back.

very very disappointing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

Online gaming cafe without pc gaming...that is disappointing.

inode wrote: »
    Online gaming cafe without pc gaming...that is disappointing.

My thoughts exactly, the guy thats running it didn't seem to understand the whole thing.

If anyone wants to invest 5 grand i'll open up a proper gaming cafe in Letterkenny!]

anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Hang on and I'll send you over a tin of WD40 to get your wallet opened :D

muffler wrote: »
    Hang on and I'll send you over a tin of WD40 to get your wallet opened :D

Sadly my wallet and the till in the cottage are linked in some mysterious way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

danniemcq wrote: »
    Sadly my wallet and the till in the cottage are linked in some mysterious.

Two_moths_flying_from_an_almost_empty_wallet_110130-215622-980009.jpg

I know the fella that owns LK online... i'll send him this way see what he says ;)

When i was chatting to him at start when they opened (i assume it was him) he didn't seem to bothered with online PC gaming. He'd need to update every computer now so whatever he bought the current ones of chartbusters for might as well be wrote off. (granted it probably wasn't that much for them)

custom built gaming pc's is the best way, i just built a top spec one for just over 400, with it being a business and buying bulk it'd be even less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ConorH.

When i was chatting to him at start when they opened (i assume it was him) he didn't seem to bothered with online PC gaming. He'd need to update every computer now so whatever he bought the current ones of chartbusters for might as well be wrote off. (granted it probably wasn't that much for them)

custom built gaming pc's is the best way, i just built a top spec one for just over 400, with it being a business and buying bulk it'd be even less.

Hi guys!! Happy to see your concern with the lack of online gaming in Letterkenny!! I own and opperate LK online, and i do hope to address this some time in the future!! As for the current computers being wrote off, i cant follow ur logic on that as they seem to be meeting ther needs (web browsing etc) quite fine for me at the moment.

As for my costs its €3 per hour for computer usage and membership is available reducing it to €2 per hour.

As for online gaming, iam now only open a month and my primary aim for that time has been trying to iron out teething problems with the internet set-up etc but i hope to further explore the online gaming more now and why dont u call down to me danniemcq and you can explain to me the parts of online gaming you say i dont understand and maybe you'll not be so disappointed with the outcome!

Look forward to hearing from you
    Conor

• Advertisement

ConorH. wrote: »
    Hi guys!! Happy to see your concern with the lack of online gaming in Letterkenny!! I own and opperate LK online, and i do hope to address this some time in the future!! As for the current computers being wrote off, i cant follow ur logic on that as they seem to be meeting ther needs (web browsing etc) quite fine for me at the moment.

As for my costs its €3 per hour for computer usage and membership is available reducing it to €2 per hour.

As for online gaming, iam now only open a month and my primary aim for that time has been trying to iron out teething problems with the internet set-up etc but i hope to further explore the online gaming more now and why dont u call down to me danniemcq and you can explain to me the parts of online gaming you say i dont understand and maybe you'll not be so disappointed with the outcome!

Look forward to hearing from you
    Conor

excellent reply and thanks, i'll try and call into you next week after work. i know it was only open a day or two when i was in and the person i was talking to seemed to be more interested in having the online gaming aspect as xbox live and the PS3 network.

perhaps since that opinions have changed and i hope so as from my experience of 3 years in an internet cafe it was the gaming section that was by far the most popular and succesful of the 2 parts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ConorH.

Yea you could have been talking to me alright as Xbox & PS3 had been the most likely option as i was working on advice i'd been given by other people but i'd be very interested in hearing your opinion on the matter and all advice is greatly appreciated as i do think if set up in the right way it could also be a great success. Make sure to call in for a chat when you get a chance!

We're open from 10.30AM - 10.30 PM Mon to Fri, 12AM - 9PM Sat.

Thanks
    Conor

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Internet cafes, if done correctly, can be a goldmine. After living abroad for a few years, where they were ubiquitous, i really noticed the lack of them when I came home. Gaming is a big thing, and getting bigger, and a lot of people cant afford the high end computers to play the newest games. So offering a place to play (relatively) cheaply should see a seady stream of customers

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

Cyber cafes is something I thought would be dying out I never though of the high end gaming aspect!

@ConorH. Well done on opening a business in the recession it takes some guts and its good to see your open to constructive criticism you will go far great choice of location near the bus stops too!

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭fluff_daddy

any internet cafes lads? only after hearing LK online internet cafe is no longer open :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Harold Weiss

If you have a laptop/tablet or wifi enabled phone, most hotels and busy pubs offer internet access. There's also the library if you have membership card. Other than that, don't think there's anything else open anymore. Rent is quite high for a premises and there's just not enough demand for it I suppose.

Free wifi in lk shopping centre too, the benches near Easons always have people sitting on them with laptops.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

If you have a laptop/tablet or wifi enabled phone, most hotels and busy pubs offer internet access. There's also the library if you have membership card. Other than that, don't think there's anything else open anymore. Rent is quite high for a premises and there's just not enough demand for it I suppose.

You don't need a membership to use the facilities in the library, you can just pay as you go for the the internet which is a Euro an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭ppshay

There's an internet cafe in the snooker centre on the port road.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Free wifi in lk shopping centre too, the benches near Easons always have people sitting on them with laptops.

Do you need a log in to use that Homer? Be in there the odd time, but never really noticed people on lappys there.

• Advertisement

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Do you need a log in to use that Homer? Be in there the odd time, but never really noticed people on lappys there.

Nope no wifi keys needed for most. There is a few free wifi's floating about. Tesco have one, there is a BT one (just up on the Tesco side from Easons) which you can see oddly on the roof as you walk towards traxs from the tesco end.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,090 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Doesn't Universal Books have a bit of an internet cafe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Doesn't Universal Books have a bit of an internet cafe?

they sure do , 2 PCs and you usually get a free cuppa too

• Registered Users Posts: 10 barrauda17

Does anyone know if there are any internet cafes still up and running in Letterkenny? I think the ones mentioned above are now closed. Millford would do either, if there was one there either.
    cheers ☺

Universal books, the library and the thrift store down in the shopping center in town thats not the courtyard

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

The library lets you use the internet for a euro an hour

• Registered Users Posts: 10 barrauda17

Universal books, the library and the thrift store down in the shopping center in town thats not the courtyard

Thanks for your reply.would you know if any of those would be open after 6?i cant get into town till just before 6 unfortunately.the library probably closes at 5.somewhere in millford or ballybofey would do either,if it was open in the evenings

nah they all close around 6, there is no late night one

the library opens late on a thursday night .. at least it used too!

• Advertisement

http://www.dun-na-ngall.com/lib.html

according to this its open till 8 on Tues & Thursdays

Best to ring beforehand to make sure though

Advertisement