Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camcorder for Primary School

Options
  • 20-04-2011 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

I'd appreciate some input on what type of camcorder to buy for my school.

Where we're at:
    • Our own WordPress powered website.
    • Pupils are already recording sound files using Audacity.
    • They've done some work with Camtasia - created their own videos using images & sound and uploaded them to YouTube.

I want to move on to recording and editing video with them after Easter but I'm stumped on what type of camcorder to buy.

We'd be doing a mix of indoor/studio and outdoor work. Image stabilisation ould be a must.

I've been looking at Peats:

http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/catalog_v3.cgi?view_subcat=1&id=9769&sid=23&cid=4125

Our budget would be approx €300.

As an aside .... what would be the simplest video editing software you'd recommend that primary children could use?

And what is the best way to make some kind of a tri-folding backdrop for indoor work. I'd hope to get the pupils to design a fold-away set that could be used as and when necessary but still be put away when not needed.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭PaddyBloggit

I'm still in need of advice here.

We're using a standard camera's video facilty at the moment but the quality isn't good enough.

http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/catalog_v2.cgi?id=27883&type=product

Any thoughts on the above named camcorder?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

looks like a competent camcorder for the price

that one is on sale slightly cheaper at Argos

check out their range

theres some comments about cheap/free editing software here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Buy a good tripod! At least a couple hundred on one. That is way more important than anything else.

Also if you can try find one that can take a external mic so you can upgrade in a year or two so you can get good sound when you get a mic.

But what I would do is go into currys/ argos and get the closest one to your budget they are all the same these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭PaddyBloggit

Thanks for the advice.

I'll take it on board, bite the bullet and make a purchase shortly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭golden virginia

How about about this one from peats http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/catalog_v2.cgi?id=28166&type=product

Panasonic make good camera's.
    Also get yourself a memory card and a memory card reader - Its just so much easier than firewire for either you or the students to import footage in to your software.
    If the students are using Audacity already then Moviemaker would be quite similar for them -free to download from windows.
    If you have a macintosh then imovie is a sinch to use.

• Advertisement
Advertisement