Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese takeaway style boiled rice

Options
  • 20-04-2011 8:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭

To my surprise I've really gotten to like the boiled rice from the chinese takeaway. But I'm wondering how they get it like they do? It's kind of a little dry and sticks together in clumps. I use basmati rice at home and even if I leave it to dry in the pan a bit, it doesn't really end up the same.

I'm guessing they use a different type of rice than basmati, but any idea what type? And how do they get it slightly dried?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'd say they use long grain white rice and use a rice cooker

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Use one cup rice to one and a half cups water, cover with muslin (not necessary in my experience), put a lid on it and leave it for the recommended cooking time. Don't stir it or use so much water you have to strain it. That works for me with basmati anyway, it doesn't wind up quite like from a take away, I think that texture comes from a rice cooker and being kept warm for an extended period.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭breakfast roll

Try using Thai Jasmine Rice, that's what I use. Wash the rice out a few times just to get rid of some of the starch. I use one cup of rice to 2 cups of water. Bring the rice to the boil. Once it boils cover the pot with a lid and turn the heat down to the lowest. The rice will absorb the water over a period of time, roughly 20-30 minutes. Once the water has absorbed into the rice what I do is I stick a spoon into the rice and see how it feels. If it's too sticky what I do is take the pan off the heat and leave the lid on the pot, the steam will continue to cook the rice. Another tip is to use a non stick pot !! Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Cheers.

I suspect the rice cooker and long grain rice is how they do it alright. All I need to know now is how to make the same style sweet and sour chicken cantonese :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,420 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

G-Money wrote: »
    I'm guessing they use a different type of rice than basmati, but any idea what type? And how do they get it slightly dried?

As mentioned the dried effect comes from the rice cooker. It would work with basmati too. It's only for sushi and similar that you need it to be really sticky.

Basically in a pot, you boil the rice and drain it when down, so the rice is still kinda wet. If you try and boil all the water off it'll burn as the pot is on a naked flame

In a rice cooker after the rice cooked it knocks the temp back to a keep warm cycle and the last of he rice soaks up the last of the moisture.

I've never tried this but it might be worth a shot. Cook the rice normally in a small pot then transfer it to a bigger pot of boiling water this should dry it out without burning it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

G-Money wrote: »
    All I need to know now is how to make the same style sweet and sour chicken cantonese :)

might I direct you here> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056077430 if the recipe is not there its not worth eating!!:p

Advertisement