Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Converting an image to a CAD drawing.

Options
  • 20-04-2011 8:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,923 ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend some free software that can be used to convert a silhouette image into a CAD (dwg,dxf) file.

Any recommendations would be hugely appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭aquascrotum

You want to insert the image into a CAD file, or actually be able to convert and treat lines and shapes etc on the image as CAD objects?

I once had some free software that would translate a linework image into CAD lines but that was as far as it went.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,923 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Basically I want to put in a silhouette image in jpeg or bmp format and do a conversion so that it gives a dxf vector line output of the outside of the silhouette.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭aquascrotum

http://www.img2cad.com/

This could be the ticket, though you'll likely have a fair bit of cleaning up to do when its finished if my experience is anything to go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

I haven't used SolidWorks since '09, but I remember thinking that inserting jpegs in onto plans barely saved any effort in my opinion.

Also, I doubt you'll find any software that automates much of the dimensioning to streamline the process. That has "mass produced" "catastrophic failure" and "lawsuit disputing liability" all over it.

In any case the auto dimension tools I've seen on CAD programmes have always flinged so much stuff everywhere they ended up looking as much like Jackson Pollock paintings as tech graphics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭mjsmyth

Check out the free version of Wintopo.

http://wintopo.com/

• Advertisement
Advertisement