Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Make politics/regions forums more effective

Options
  • 20-04-2011 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Just a thought which should be considered,

Regarding people looking to post notice of public meetings of a political nature, the constituency i am in is Laois/Offaly & i posted notice in both the Laois & Offaly threads in the regions forum of an upcoming meeting as it concerns both counties, i subsequently received a handslapping from black swan for breach of terms which was humbly accepted.

What i propose would be in the politics forum there be a list of sub forums dedicated to each constituency in the country as quite a few counties overlap, also a link over on the regions forums to the political forums of said constituencies would i think enhance both forums overall, just posting notice on the,

Notice Board:: Petitions, surveys, new party announcements, etc

I feel is not as effective as it being directed at users that would home in on a given forum specifically about their constituency, i hope this is something that you will give serious consideration given the gravity of the situation the country finds itself in it may give people the opportunity to find out about political developments in their area that may otherwise pass them by.

Thanking you in advance.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Uncorruptable

Any feedback on this please?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The thing is, this is a site made up of discussion fora. It's not a notice-board. One of the things I find myself doing regularly as a regional moderator is removing unsolicited ads for various events. It doesn't matter if it's a political rally, a charity fund-raiser or some new local band doing a gig. Communication and debate would quickly be buried if posters were just posting surveys/petitions/events.

What I would suggest is that the Regions micro-categories (Midlands, Midwest, etc) are under-used. Posters tend to stick just to their own counties' fora, and occasionally those of neighbouring counties. The broader fora usually just get posts from spammers. I think a dedicated constituency thread in the Midlands forum could be useful to solving your problem, if the mods were happy with it. You could then link to the thread in your sig, so people could find it from your posts in Politics or elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Uncorruptable

I think a dedicated constituency thread in the Midlands forum could be useful to solving your problem, if the mods were happy with it. You could then link to the thread in your sig, so people could find it from your posts in Politics or elsewhere.

That would be ideal thanks, i would just like to point out though that i never intend on just using the forum as a notice posting tool, anything i post whether it is a meeting, newsletter etc, i welcome discussion on it as it allows people to give their views on the matter for all to read also.

Let me know if the gods will allow it,

Cheers

Advertisement