Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paving flags on carport?

• 20-04-2011 10:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Before the winter, we built an open-sided car port for housing a vintage vehicle in the back yard to protect it from the elements over the winter. At the time, I just laid some hardcore and compacted it. Now summer is nearly here, we want to finish the job and lay some brick or paving slabs so that when the vehicle is not there, it can be used as a patio area.

One option we had been looking at is the Indian Sandstone paving flags sold by Double L in Naas, but I'm concerned about the weight of a vehicle putting too much weight on these and causing them to either crack or become unlevel. The vehicle will be stationary on it most of the time, driven on/off about once a fortnight in summer and hardly at all in winter.

Does anyone know will the slabs be ok in this scenario or should I be looking at blocks instead?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

have u considered a gravel finish using plastic gravel stabilizer materiel.

easy to lay and you wont have to worry about it being 100% level and will drain well if wet: will also be no slip etc when u are vintage!

Just a thought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭Max Moment

Providing the hardcore and paving sand has been well compacted, and if of adequate thickness I do not see a problem with the 'occasional' light traffic you describe.

Perhaps go for a 50mm thick slab if available as it will take greater weight than say a standard 40mm thick slab.

A standard 'cobbled' driveway for instance would have 80mm thick paviors which may be another option also.

Advertisement