Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun Deposit

Options
  • 20-04-2011 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

Hi all,

I was just wondering, how long will a gun shop (angling centre) hold a shotgun for you when you have paid a deposit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭vixdname

Any gun shop I've every dealt with will hold onto the gun once the deposit has been paid pretty much indefinitely simply because of the various lengths of time we shooters have had to wait or the Gardai to process our gun license applications, which in the past (for me) has ranged between 12 weeks and 11 months.
    If its taking a while for your application it's no harm to give the dealer you bought the gun from a quick ring and tell him that you're still waiting for the license to come through. They should be fine with that.
    I dont know is there any "Legal" length of time they have to hold it for you but if there is someone on here will know what it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

Dangerdunf wrote: »
    Hi all,

I was just wondering, how long will a gun shop (angling centre) hold a shotgun for you when you have paid a deposit?

They will/should hold it until your licence gets granted or refused.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭12gaugedave

Dangerdunf wrote: »
    Hi all,

I put a deposit down on my first shotgun on the 18/9/09 and because the garda "lost" the application form 3 times and also lost my safety coarse cert once, all in all i couldnt pick up the gun untill the 6/9/10.
    My dealer held the gun for me but i did ring and explain to him what was goin on.
    It could depend on the dealer but im sure some of the lads here will know if theres a legal time limit.
    When handing in your application go straight to your F/O, dnt just hand it to your local guard or you could end up in the same mess i did.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

When handing in your application go straight to your F/O, dnt just hand it to your local guard or you could end up in the same mess i did.

I hear you dave! When I went in with the paperwork for my pump the F/O was off,so I handed it to another garda who then proceeded IMO to use it for a coaster on his desk or maybe to wipe his ar5e because when I went back in after almost 3 months to quiz the F/O as to what the story was he looked at me as if I had 3 heads as he never got it! In fairness to him,he sorted it for me in less than 2 weeks,but told me that if I ever bought another gun to deal with him and ONLY him. He have me his personal mobile number and said if I was ever stuck again to call him any time and he would help me out.:) I guess we're lucky around here that he's the F/O and not some other pr1ck.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

If the dealer is sound (and I wouldn't buy from one who wasn't, for just this reason) they should hold onto it for as long as it takes, especially if you keep in communication with them. Certainly at the moment, it's not like they're shifting massive traffic, so moving stock on to make space isn't a huge issue. I bought a shotgun recently enough, but as one of the farmers I get to sign permissions for me was in hospital for a long time, it was a couple of months before I dropped in the application. I kept the dealer in the loop, and paid the balance when I could (Figured I'd get the money gone on that before I spent it elsewhere) and he's happy enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Justashotgun

When I was putting in for my .22 I did a little bit of shopping around, I found this very nice 2nd hand CZ 452, so I emailed the guy and explained that it might be a while before I get the licence. I then phoned him to get the rifle number etc, and he hit me with " you do understand that I will be expecting £5per week storage" I explained that there is no way I could pay that and therefore didnt get the gun off him. I ended up getting it off Sam at intershoot who was a gentleman to deal with and who understood the crack when applying for FAC here in Northern Ireland.

Maybe something to be wary of when asking a Dealer to wait a while on full payment.
    Good luck.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

he hit me with " you do understand that I will be expecting £5per week storage"

:eek: WTF now?!
    That's some cheek from a dealer TBH.
    therefore didnt get the gun off him.

And rightly so!
    I ended up getting it off Sam at intershoot who was a gentleman to deal with

+1 on Sam's bona fides!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭FOXHUNTER1

Another way of looking at it is if you put a deposit on a car and you don't come back for 6 months or a year I doubt it will still be there.
    The same goes for a house or anything.
    A lot of people pay deposits and don't contact the dealer for months on end and a lot of them wont answer phones either when the dealers try contacting them to find out what the hold up is.
    I'm sure most dealers would be more than happy to hold the gun if they were kept informed on a regular basis as to progress in their application.
    I know one lad at the moment who has his licence for 3 months and hasn't collected his gun yet and hasn't paid for it either.

FOXHUNTER1 wrote: »
    Another way of looking at it is if you put a deposit on a car and you don't come back for 6 months or a year I doubt it will still be there.

Erm, bit of a wee problem there with the analogy you're using:

If you paid a deposit for a car, you wouldn't have to then apply to the Guards to take possession of that car - you'd just get the transfer paperwork done and dusted there and then and away you'd go.
    The same goes for a house

Not the same thing at all: If you paid a deposit on a house (i.e. a deposit not just the "booking deposit"), then you would be pretty damn sure the house better be there when you came to pay for it. Plus, contracts for the sale and purchase of a house have a "closing date" in them. Plus, your deposit forms part of a legally binding agreement - and should you fail to purchase the house and just don't bother to turn up to pay the balance, rest assured you will end up in the Courts being either forced to complete the purchase or being sued for breach of contract.
    A lot of people pay deposits and don't contact the dealer for months on end and a lot of them wont answer phones either when the dealers try contacting them to find out what the hold up is.

Maybe then in that situation, in the event that the RFD has recieved no communications nor explanation as to the reasons for the delay, it is the responsibility of the RFD to write to the purchaser and give them a reasonable deadline for the completion of the purchase of the gun - and failing the completion of the deadline, the deposit will be either refunded or forfeit (obviously, depending on what the agreement between the RFD and the purchaser was).
    I know one lad at the moment who has his licence for 3 months and hasn't collected his gun yet and hasn't paid for it either.

If that's the case, then he should, in all fairness, loose his deposit IMO. That's just playing silly buggers.

If you do a deal, it is up to both sides to stick to it and to honour what they've agreed. If, in the unfortunate event, the purchaser can't for whatever reasons go through with the deal, it's only good manners and honesty to pick up the phone and explain the situation.

If both "sides" are going to act the boll1x, then we'll all end up in the sh1t: and find ourselves having to fill in purchase forms, sales agreements, etc., etc. (Although TBH I'm surprised, considering the value of some of the purchases we make, that RFD's don't have some form of "sales agreement" for us to sign - Most car dealers and anyone else I've bought reasonably expensive stuff from all do have such template agreements, which address the issue of deposits, delivery times, warrenties, etc. ).

Then again, all the dealers I've dealt with, and who I have bought stuff from, have been sound.

That said, I did come across one RFD who did request a 1/3 non-refundable deposit, which would only be partly refunded in the event of the licence not being granted, and VAT would be deducted from that partial-refund too. Needless to say, I haven't bought diddly-squat from him (which TBH is more his loss, not mine).

@dCorbus
    Lets say you were selling your gun through a private sale and you needed the cash to purchase another gun that you wanted.
    Would you hold the gun for 6 to 12 months until the purchaser gave you the remainder of the cash?

The point I'm trying to make is that if all your cash is tied up in sold guns and it's taking months on end to get the cash in for them how do you restock the shelves?
    I'm not saying all dealers are perfect actually far from it but they are tied down and a lot of it is down to the license situation at the moment but a % of the customers aren't 100% honest and straight either.

• Advertisement

@ Foxhunter1:rolleyes:

First off, the OP is asking about gun dealers and shops (not about private sales).

But since you asked: "Would you hold the gun for 6 to 12 months until the purchaser gave you the remainder of the cash?"

The answer to that is: Yes, I would. That's how the last couple of lads I bought from dealt with me and that's how I would also do it. I can't see any other fair way of doing it TBH.
    Lets say you were selling your gun through a private sale and you needed the cash to purchase another gun that you wanted.
    Would you hold the gun for 6 to 12 months until the purchaser gave you the remainder of the cash?

What would you do with a Private Sale? The following seems to be the process you'd suggest:

a. Agree the sale of the gun,
    b. Collect all of the purchase price (which seems to be what you're implying),
    c. You hold onto the gun,
    d. The other lad applies for his FAC,
    e. You go off and spend "his" money on the purchase of "another gun that you wanted",
    d. He doesn't get his licence granted, what then?

You'd hold onto the gun and keep his money (the money you've already spent on another gun?)????:confused:

If a lad has put a deposit on a gun and has made all genuine efforts to lodge his FAC application, and keeps me posted on what is going on and stays in contact, my answer is yes, too right I'd hold the gun for him. That's the way I've done my last three firearms purchases - and that's the way the lads selling to me have treated me, so I see no reason why I shouldn't do things in a similar collegiate manner.

In the case of some fellow giving me a deposit and then disappearing off into the ether never to be seen again, I'd simply write to him after a certain time (say after the ostensible three month application period) and ask him when he'll be ready to close the deal and how his application is going.

If after that, I don't hear anything back from him, I'd again write to him (email is very useful!) telling him that if I haven't heard back within a reasonable time, I'll have to presume that, for whatever reasons, he does not want to go through with the deal and his deposit is, after that date, forfeit.

The one thing I would NOT do, is spend either the full price or his deposit on another gun - It's a deposit and until such time as we have completed the deal, it's not my money to spend.

You might do things differently - But that's the way I've done deals previously when purchasing and that's how I'd do any deals in future.
    The point I'm trying to make is that if all your cash is tied up in sold guns and it's taking months on end to get the cash in for them how do you restock the shelves?

First off: The RFD's cash is probably not tied up in "sold guns" - They have taken deposits on the guns, but they are not sold yet. So they are still classed at that point as stock. Secondly, you're assuming that all RFD's pay their suppliers upfront for these guns. That I very much doubt - Most businesses run a line-of-credit with their suppliers and Retail (and I presume the Gun Trade too) does not work on COD. This may have changed in recent years due to everyone feeling the "credit-crunch", but I'd be surprised if RFD's have paid upfront for all their stock.

The nature of the particular business (i.e. selling firearms in Ireland) will always have a time-lag between agreeing a sale and the completion of the sale, due to the licencing system we have. Any RFD (i.e. businessman) worth his or her salt will (or should) have already factored this into their business's cash-flow projections and will have / should have allowed for the time-lag in a sale-agreed date and a sale-completion date. And RFD's aren't unique in having to deal this "delayed-payment" situation!

And that's also why dealers need to be selling consumables on a regular basis as this brings in the immediate cash.

Now, if some one RFD had a bit of hutzpah out there, they would have set up a financing arrangement for their customers, so they would get paid on time and their customers could spread the load at a slight extra cost. I've never heard of any dealers doing such a thing in the past - and it's not going to happen these days. But maybe when things improve, some smarter dealer might see an opportunity there to help both themselves (and their cashflow) and their customers. But I won't hold my breath.
    I'm not saying all dealers are perfect actually far from it but they are tied down and a lot of it is down to the license situation at the moment but a % of the customers aren't 100% honest and straight either.

100% agree with you on that one - But the dealers are running a business, the purchaser is not. It's a small %age of the customers who aren't honest and straight (that again is not just an issue unique to the RFD's) - Dealing with shysters and tyre-kickers etc., is all part and parcel of doing business in Ireland. And if you're an RFD you'd best factor that in to your budgets and pricing! ;)

dCorbus wrote: »
    @ Foxhunter1:rolleyes:

First off, the OP is asking about gun dealers and shops (not about private sales).

But since you asked: "Would you hold the gun for 6 to 12 months until the purchaser gave you the remainder of the cash?"

The answer to that is: Yes, I would. That's how the last couple of lads I bought from dealt with me and that's how I would also do it. I can't see any other fair way of doing it TBH.

What would you do with a Private Sale? The following seems to be the process you'd suggest:

a. Agree the sale of the gun,
    b. Collect all of the purchase price (which seems to be what you're implying),
    c. You hold onto the gun,
    d. The other lad applies for his FAC,
    e. You go off and spend "his" money on the purchase of "another gun that you wanted",
    d. He doesn't get his licence granted, what then?

You'd hold onto the gun and keep his money (the money you've already spent on another gun?)????:confused:

If a lad has put a deposit on a gun and has made all genuine efforts to lodge his FAC application, and keeps me posted on what is going on and stays in contact, my answer is yes, too right I'd hold the gun for him. That's the way I've done my last three firearms purchases - and that's the way the lads selling to me have treated me, so I see no reason why I shouldn't do things in a similar collegiate manner.

In the case of some fellow giving me a deposit and then disappearing off into the ether never to be seen again, I'd simply write to him after a certain time (say after the ostensible three month application period) and ask him when he'll be ready to close the deal and how his application is going.

If after that, I don't hear anything back from him, I'd again write to him (email is very useful!) telling him that if I haven't heard back within a reasonable time, I'll have to presume that, for whatever reasons, he does not want to go through with the deal and his deposit is, after that date, forfeit.

The one thing I would NOT do, is spend either the full price or his deposit on another gun - It's a deposit and until such time as we have completed the deal, it's not my money to spend.

You might do things differently - But that's the way I've done deals previously when purchasing and that's how I'd do any deals in future.

First off: The RFD's cash is probably not tied up in "sold guns" - They have taken deposits on the guns, but they are not sold yet. So they are still classed at that point as stock. Secondly, you're assuming that all RFD's pay their suppliers upfront for these guns. That I very much doubt - Most businesses run a line-of-credit with their suppliers and Retail (and I presume the Gun Trade too) does not work on COD. This may have changed in recent years due to everyone feeling the "credit-crunch", but I'd be surprised if RFD's have paid upfront for all their stock.

The nature of the particular business (i.e. selling firearms in Ireland) will always have a time-lag between agreeing a sale and the completion of the sale, due to the licencing system we have. Any RFD (i.e. businessman) worth his or her salt will (or should) have already factored this into their business's cash-flow projections and will have / should have allowed for the time-lag in a sale-agreed date and a sale-completion date. And RFD's aren't unique in having to deal this "delayed-payment" situation!

And that's also why dealers need to be selling consumables on a regular basis as this brings in the immediate cash.

Now, if some one RFD had a bit of hutzpah out there, they would have set up a financing arrangement for their customers, so they would get paid on time and their customers could spread the load at a slight extra cost. I've never heard of any dealers doing such a thing in the past - and it's not going to happen these days. But maybe when things improve, some smarter dealer might see an opportunity there to help both themselves (and their cashflow) and their customers. But I won't hold my breath.

100% agree with you on that one - But the dealers are running a business, the purchaser is not. It's a small %age of the customers who aren't honest and straight (that again is not just an issue unique to the RFD's) - Dealing with shysters and tyre-kickers etc., is all part and parcel of doing business in Ireland. And if you're an RFD you'd best factor that in to your budgets and pricing! ;)

Jeez you must have plenty of time on yer hands :rolleyes::D:D
    All I'm sayin is if you purchase something it should be paid for in an appropriate time frame.
    I also don't think that anyone in this country is giving out a Line-Of-Credit that extends to 6 months or more.
    I happen to know that most dealers do pay for 85 to 90% of the stock they have on the shelf because most of the stock is imported and UK and other places in the EU don't extend credit to irish dealers as to them Ireland is only a drop in the ocean.

I don't know many people that have been refused licenses other than the ones that have had previous problems with the law so if your buying a gun you should have a fair idea if your eligable to get a license or not and therefore should just pay the damn thing and wait for the license.
    If you've had previous problems then maybe consider some other pastime :eek:.

Advertisement