Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations on buying your meats.

Options
  • 20-04-2011 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭

Seeing as were on a track back to the 80s and people are now looking for savings again, i thought I'd highlight a little known gem in Dublin 15 where you can buy your meats on wholesale price.

Some of you may know about this business and others may not.

http://www.branaganmeats.com/tradecounter.php

This company deals with stores etc but also has a trade counter for the average joe soap. My ma swears by them that the prices on the meats are much, much cheaper than dunnes, tesco etc etc.

Has anyone on this forum tried them out???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Seeing as were on a track back to the 80s and people are now looking for savings again, i thought I'd highlight a little known gem in Dublin 15 where you can buy your meats on wholesale price.

This company deals with stores etc but also has a trade counter for the average joe soap. My ma swears by them that the prices on the meats are much, much cheaper than dunnes, tesco etc etc.

I second this!

We used and do use them, my parents mostly get meat in the North. But Branagans did have some lovely stuff. Big packs of sliced meat, lovely chicken wings and burgers.

Most of it is in "bulk" as in you could get ten bugers in a bag etc, so if you have a chest freezer you could easily stock up.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

Can I also take a second out to tell you that Kepak have an onsite store that opens Mon,Thursday and Friday 1-5 ,and gives great value out

6 fillets of steak-12 euro

4 striplions-8 euro

10 half pounders-14 euro

I head up every few weeks and stock the freezer up....well worth it

Thats handy to know, you should tell them to stick a sign up, as I pass it a lot and never knew they had a store for the public.

Thanks for the first link OP,ill defo check them out ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

jeffk wrote: »
    Thats handy to know, you should tell them to stick a sign up, as I pass it a lot and never knew they had a store for the public.

They used to have a sign out and then the road works started, the place was effectively blocked off.

The bloke is a gentleman.

• Advertisement

They used to have a sign out and then the road works started, the place was effectively blocked off.

The bloke is a gentleman.

Ah right, sure its on boards now, im sure people will spread the good word!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Got some great fillets out of here in the past, roast joints are really nice.
    got my Da pigs feet a while back and he savaged them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Kev. wrote: »
    Can I also take a second out to tell you that Kepak have an onsite store that opens Mon,Thursday and Friday 1-5 ,and gives great value out

6 fillets of steak-12 euro

4 striplions-8 euro

10 half pounders-14 euro

I head up every few weeks and stock the freezer up....well worth it

Is that the building on the road to Clonee,right turn at traffic lights from IBM !?
    TIA

rolion wrote: »
    Is that the building on the road to Clonee,right turn at traffic lights from IBM !?
    TIA

It is indeed, the one with the big cottage!

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭5T3PH3N

Yeah, that's it Rollion.
    The entrance is split in 2, go in the carpark side and park, then go up to the security gate to get to the shop. Then follow the yellow lines across to the shop.

• Advertisement

5T3PH3N wrote: »
    Yeah, that's it Rollion.
    The entrance is split in 2, go in the carpark side and park, then go up to the security gate to get to the shop. Then follow the yellow lines across to the shop.

As the guys said thats the way to go...

I think its the best value around...fillets are beautiful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Murt10

I have some times bought a big lump of fillet or rib-eye beef in plastic wrapping there. In and around E40 - 50 each. The kill and packing dates are on the label, as is the use by date.

I told the fella serving me at the counter once I was taking it home to cut it up and freeze it immediately. His advice was to leave it in the fridge, in the bag, and a couple of days before the use by date, to take it out, cut it up and then freeze it.

I did as I was told. No complaints. Beautiful meat. Much better taste than any fillet I've had from Tesco. Whether it's the fact that I've left it in the fridge for nearly a month or not, I don't know. All I can say is it's really tender and tasty.

Murt10 wrote: »
    I have some times bought a big lump of fillet or rib-eye beef in plastic wrapping there. In and around E40 - 50 each. The kill and packing dates are on the label, as is the use by date.

I told the fella serving me at the counter once I was taking it home to cut it up and freeze it immediately. His advice was to leave it in the fridge, in the bag, and a couple of days before the use by date, to take it out, cut it up and then freeze it.

I did as I was told. No complaints. Beautiful meat. Much better taste than any fillet I've had from Tesco. Whether it's the fact that I've left it in the fridge for nearly a month or not, I don't know. All I can say is it's really tender and tasty.

He is a top bloke. It always good to pass around good recommendations all things considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

I was up there today buying some chicken wings and pork ribs for tonight's match, few of the lads coming round. I was telling the man up there about this thread, he opened it up on the internet and was going to have a look. Boardsie discount on the way maybe :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

not sure is on-topic,but on the backroad from Clonee to Lucan,there is a Farm Shop sign, Larighon (i think,after bridge)...anyone been in there for 'a look',what is all about it ??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

I know it's a little outside of D15 but, I've been going to Farm House Foods in Dunshaughlin Business Park (just before Dunshauglin on the right) for years and I swear by 'em.

Great selection of Pork, Bacon and Beef try their No.8 sausages Hmmmmm...... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Dub XV

Got a whole Fillet (steak) yesterday.

Lovely! Great price too. Fed 6 yesterday and could do it again twice with whats left in the freezer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

I just use Gleesons down the centre and in Roselawn. Decent enough quality and value for what i need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    I just use Gleesons down the centre and in Roselawn. Decent enough quality and value for what i need.

I haven't been impressed with the quality from there. Bought a special occasion roast from the one in Roselawn and it was awful, really stringy.

We get most of our meat from Branagans these days, definitely cheaper and convenient to have a supply. For special occasions I go to the butcher in Charlestown shopping centre, fantastic quality and lovely staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭robbie000

Must try going up to Kepak pity they dont have a website for the shop to say what they stock prices and what time they open at.

Bus as its not far from me I will drop up and take a look stock the freezer up if its any good.

• Advertisement

Shop opens Monday,Thursday and Friday 1-4 pm

Striplion,fillet,dice beef...thats it really

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭fptosca

Thanks for the tip. I usually go to Gleesons in the center but I'll pop in Branagans this week.
    Anybody knows of a similar shop to buy fruit & Veg? Now I buy in Tesco or Dunnes...

• Registered Users Posts: 5 dee99

For fruit and veg, Justins in blanch village is a must. So much cheaper than the supermarkets and great quality. If you're coming say past the Garda station, its throught the lights and down a bit on the left, theres a bus stop right outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭fptosca

dee99 wrote: »
    For fruit and veg, Justins in blanch village is a must. So much cheaper than the supermarkets and great quality. If you're coming say past the Garda station, its throught the lights and down a bit on the left, theres a bus stop right outside.

I know the place but never actually went in to buy anything. I'll go on the weekend

I prefer the greengrocers at Laurel Lodge. Well priced, good quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

athtrasna wrote: »
    I prefer the greengrocers at Laurel Lodge. Well priced, good quality.

I think its much better than all the supermarkets anyway. There days the fruit and veg is brutal in those. Dunnes tend to be better than the others.

BostonB wrote: »
    I think its much better than all the supermarkets anyway. There days the fruit and veg is brutal in those. Dunnes tend to be better than the others.

Aldi are better than Dunnes, certainly the Dunnes in the shopping centre, quality is dire!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Aldi are better than Dunnes, certainly the Dunnes in the shopping centre, quality is dire!

Where is aldi in D.15? Do you mean in Clonee? I'd never be out that way.

BostonB wrote: »
    Where is aldi in D.15? Do you mean in Clonee? I'd never be out that way.

I've found we do several different shops now..the days of buying everything in one place are gone. Meat tends to come from Branagans, Veg from Laurel Lodge, staples, cleaning products and household basics Aldi (fruit & veg sometimes too), and then a rare trip to Tesco/Dunnes to stock up on any branded items.

And so Clonee isn't that big a deal when the shop is split anyway.

• Advertisement

I've found we do several different shops now..the days of buying everything in one place are gone. Meat tends to come from Branagans, Veg from Laurel Lodge, staples, cleaning products and household basics Aldi (fruit & veg sometimes too), and then a rare trip to Tesco/Dunnes to stock up on any branded items.

And so Clonee isn't that big a deal when the shop is split anyway.

Branagans is a quality place for the meats! I little known jewel ;)

Advertisement