Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

timer switch

Options
  • 20-04-2011 10:55am

my mam is getting a new boiler put in. the electrician is putting in a timer switch, no earth has been run in the previous cable and the electrician wants to install the switch without earth, is this good or bad, i would personally think it should be earthed but i am looking for opinions to the matter

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Timers dont usually need an earth. If it was a full new new installation an earth should be run to it anyway, but if its replacing an existing timer and the new one does not need an earth and has a plastic back box it should be ok as long as the boiler itself is properly earthed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

+1 with robbie:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

keeffo2005 wrote: »
    my mam is getting a new boiler put in. the electrician is putting in a timer switch, no earth has been run in the previous cable and the electrician wants to install the switch without earth, is this good or bad, i would personally think it should be earthed but i am looking for opinions to the matter

Do you know what sort of timer switch he is fitting? what sort of backing box he is using?

Most timers are plastic and there's no earth connection on them.

Advertisement