Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using Google Maps Navigation when abroad

Options
  • 20-04-2011 11:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I am heading to France this summer and have an Android mobile phone that runs Google maps and navigation. Will this work abroad given that while there I won't be connected to any 3G or Wifi for data upload/download so would be only using the GPS connection on the device?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I remember when using Nokia maps you could download them when you had a data or wifi connection and save them for later use.
    I don't think this is possible with Google Maps.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I think the new version of Google maps does pre-download the maps, but only in terms of the data for where your current route takes you so that if there isn't any data connection half way along the route through the Dublin mountains it will still keep the navigation running. I don't think it is setup to work as far as downloading a country before you go there though.

Advertisement