Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1938 Dublin Hurling Team

• 20-04-2011 11:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭

Been trying online to find out as much as I can about this team, who won the 1938 League. all i can get is an entry for the result on hogan stand, gaa.ie has sfa.

it turns out that my mother in law had three uncles on the Faughs team of the time, and that one Uncle, Jim Farrell, was on that Dublin team, and also on the team that won that years all Ireland. However, finding a teamsheet, or photographs for it are proving impossible to find. He would be related to my kids so I was wanting to get this information for them before the League Final.

Turns out that Jim was an interesting character in his own right, and ran a pub at 120 Parnell Street. This pub made is own beer, and had a brewry down in the basement with its own little bottling plant and all. According to Google maps http://maps.google.com/maps?q=120+parnell+street,+dublin&rls=com.microsoft:en-ie:IE-SearchBox&oe=UTF-8&rlz=1I7ADBF_en&um=1&hl=en&biw=1004&bih=611&prmdo=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

it seems as if there is the remnants of the old building there, but everything has been modernised and replaced.

any help?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 mount misery

Been trying online to find out as much as I can about this team, who won the 1938 League. all i can get is an entry for the result on hogan stand, gaa.ie has sfa.

it turns out that my mother in law had three uncles on the Faughs team of the time, and that one Uncle, Jim Farrell, was on that Dublin team, and also on the team that won that years all Ireland. However, finding a teamsheet, or photographs for it are proving impossible to find. He would be related to my kids so I was wanting to get this information for them before the League Final.

Turns out that Jim was an interesting character in his own right, and ran a pub at 120 Parnell Street. This pub made is own beer, and had a brewry down in the basement with its own little bottling plant and all. According to Google maps http://maps.google.com/maps?q=120+parnell+street,+dublin&rls=com.microsoft:en-ie:IE-SearchBox&oe=UTF-8&rlz=1I7ADBF_en&um=1&hl=en&biw=1004&bih=611&prmdo=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

it seems as if there is the remnants of the old building there, but everything has been modernised and replaced.

any help?

Popobenny, not sure if this is any good to you but I have the 1938 programme from the Dublin v Waterford All Ireland. There was only one Farrell on that team from Dublin, "P.O Farrell" playing centre back. No info on the league to hand but will have a root, might well have something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Is there any Dublin GAA historians knocking about? Maybe the county board would know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 wxyz

Came across this a couple of years ago in a library book;
    Dublin, All-Ireland Hurling Champions 1938.
    Back row: Mick Mockler (Trainer), Harry Gray, Bobby Ryan, Jack Gilmartln, Paddy Dody, Tom Teehan, Arthur Murphy, Mick Flynn,
    Ned Maher, Jim Donegan, Barney Crosby, Charlie McMahon, -, T. Breen. Middle row: Jim Byrne Phil Furroll, Mick Bullor, Mick Daniels
    (Captain), Charlie Downes, Paddy Brophy, Paddy McCormack, Christy Forde. Front row: Sean McCabe (Hurling Sec.), Larry Mnyos,
    Mossy McDonnell, Mick Gill, Bill Loughnane, Dave Hurley, Dixie O'Brien.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 wxyz

Ok second time lucky.
    See attached file.

Cheers for that wxyz, if anyone else has any details put them up. It'd be good to help popebenny out, who has been a frequent contributor to this board.

I know this is unrelated, but I had a great-grandfather fight in the GPO on 1916. I was told he was on the roll of honour, which all combatants on the day signed a couple of years later. I never found his name on it when I first looked, but found out exactly where he was a few months ago.

So although there is no Jim Farrell in any of the posts so far, I'd not lose hope popebenny. He could have been injured the day of the final and played the other games in the campaign, or indeed he was playing, and there was a glitch on the match day programme.

I am interested in history and have a degree in it. So I'd like to see how this pans out. If you like, maybe post the same thing on the history and heritage forum. There could be a better return there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

thanks for that wxyz. it may be that i have the name wrong (not the first time that would have happened), but i can get my hands on his obituary from the Tipp Star from the early 80's and try to get it on here, we may be able to sort the confusion out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

See? i knew i had a wrong name - it was phil farrell - in wxyz's post he is spelt wrongly as Furroll.

I took pics of his obit and will try to upload them this evening. He was Captain of the Faughs team of the time.

to quote from it though
    He played in the 1936, 39, 40, 41, 45 and 46 senior county championships and as centrback on the All Ireland Winning Team of 1938, and alo on the Leinster Railway Cup team, three Leinster Championships, 8 senior leagues and numerous grocers tournaments

Glad to hear you got everything sorted out popebenny. Hopefully their memory can be honoured with a win this Sunday:)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 fordy1208

Hi popebenny16, my grandfather was also on the 1938 team, but am curious to find out if he was on the 1939 league winning team? you haven't found out any more info have you? My grandfather played for Faughs as well, originally from Tipperary. I have a pic of he 1938 final as well (looks the same as above but from a different angle).

Anyway, if you have any info about the 1939 NHL final let me know.

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭PatsytheNazi

Was wondering, if Dublin had won the football it would of course have been a League double for the Dubs. Have maybe Cork or Galway or anyone else done a league double ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 tommy60

Hi.
    I am trying to find out the number Mick Gill wore on his shirt in the 1938 hurling final which Dublin won.

Any info much appreciated.

Tommy

Just wondering if anyone knows what number Mick Gill wore on his shirt in the Dublin Hurling final in 1938?
    Or does anyone have a match programme from that game that they could look up for me.
    Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Dickys Back Garden

tommy60 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone knows what number Mick Gill wore on his shirt in the Dublin Hurling final in 1938?
    Or does anyone have a match programme from that game that they could look up for me.
    Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Mick Gill was no.5, right half back.

Thanks a million Dickys Back Garden, much appreciated.
    Tommy60

Advertisement