Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grey Squirrels

• 20-04-2011 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Anyone resorted to using rat poison on grey squirrels??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Not on purpose. A friend laid blocks of rat poison in lengths of pipe to keep birds off it. He reckoned the greys got at it and hoarded a load of it because the grey population plummeted. They must have all been nibbling at the stuff wherever they had stashed it. I don't know about the legality of deliberately poisoning greys, perhaps some one knows? Personaly I don't like using poison on anything, even rats. Too much risk of non target species getting poisoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭volvilla

I would be rather reluctant myself for same reason but it seems the only way to get rid of the tree rats without caging them and setting them free miles away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

...without caging them and setting them free miles away

While I find this thread abhorrent, I need to clarify something. If you trap a Grey Squirrel it is illegal to release it again - anywhere.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if you are going to do away with grey squirrels, at least make use of them and eat them - which obviously precludes the poisoning route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

volvilla wrote: »
    Absolutely not.
    Not only the issue of non target species getting the poison directly, the poison stays within food chain with secondary poisoning of Pine Martins, Raptors etc.

What is your motive for targeting Grey Squirrels?

Perhaps its a forestry/woodland issue and I can move this thread to farming/forestry forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,769 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

That would be illegal since the use of poison is now only legal for rats and mice

I would be rather reluctant myself for same reason but it seems the only way to get rid of the tree rats without caging them and setting them free miles away.

Grey squirrels are classed as vermin and so can be killed when trapped - I don't see the point of releasing them somewhere else:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

I am well aware of the initiatives to control greys but poison is a ridiculous solution as other posters have stated. I personally would like to taste Squirrel as I never have but only if it was killed in a humane fashion.

I am well aware of the initiatives to control greys but poison is a ridiculous solution as other posters have stated. I personally would like to taste Squirrel as I never have but only if it was killed in a humane fashion.

Indeed - this species can legally be controlled by trapping and shooting so I don't see the point of this thread. Indeed it is highly inappropriate on this or any other forum!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Indeed - this species can legally be controlled by trapping and shooting so I don't see the point of this thread. Indeed it is highly inappropriate on this or any other forum!!
    Mod Note
    The point of this thread is too inform readers the issues with using poison and informing of alternatives.
    If thread was locked/deleted earlier this information would not get out. This is why it is appropriate though perhaps for forestry/woodland forum.

Thread locked.

OP I've put a question to you
    What is your motive for targeting Grey Squirrels?
    PM me with response and I'll consider whether I do anything further with thread.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement