Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC what a disgrace !

• 20-04-2011 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭

Got 20 meg a few months back and all i can say is this UPC service is the worst BB i have ever used in quite a number of years using BB, i have had 3 "engineers" who all done and said the same thing with no success, 3 replaced routers and i am still getting disconnected EVERY night at least twice but mostly about 5 or 6 times, i also have the phone with them too so when the BB goes so does the phone. If you are thinking of using the service for gaming ? forget about it from 7pm to about 10pm the pings go from about 40 to 130 to a server in the UK. I was then told by "Customer Service" that they do not support ping or latency issues and if i want to phone a Premium number they might, might be able to help me, An absolute shambles and will be contacting comreg.

Soon to be an ex UPC customer (TV,PHONE,BB)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I love UPC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

i had 20mb upc and used to get disconnects some nights, some nights might get 4 or 5! was very very seldom though.

since switching to the 30mb about 2 months ago havent had a single dc.

i dont sue their crappy software to connect to the wireless anymore either, think that might have been part of the problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

UPC are serving me really well at the moment. Full 30mb connection around the house. I am however using home plugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

UPC broadband is a great service. I use the 30mb package and have both wired and wireless connections in the house. Does the broadband service drop when you use a wired connection to your PC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Wishox wrote: »
    .. i have had 3 "engineers" who all done and said the same thing .......

Sorry to be anal, but,
    I have had 3 "engineers" who have all done...
    OR
    I have had 3 "engineers" who did & said the same thing

I love UPC.
    +1
    3 years solid service, zero issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Wishox

yea MJ just a tad Anal lol

sounds like you guys work for them, glad its not a bigger problem. Worth keeping an eye on though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

My sister had problems last week, Phone - TV - BB all went.

In fairness they were out the next day.

If you are unhappy and they have been out several times, then you should consider your options.

How long is left in your contract?

A few months but at this stage i think the contract has been broken so i will be quoting their T&C, its a shame, i really thought UPC were gonna be a good provider but i guess Ireland still has a lot to do.

12. Cancellation Rights
    You may cancel the Services at any time, and the minimum period obligations contained
    in Paragraph 3 will not apply, in the following circumstances:
    (i) if we change the Terms and Conditions as per Section 16 you may
    terminate this Agreement in accordance with that section;
    (ii) if we significantly reduce the content of the Services you may terminate this
    Agreement by giving us one month’s notice within 30 days of such change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

You're just one of the unlucky few Wishox. :(

My 30MB has gone down a couple of times over the past few years so I know how you feel :(

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭the varg

When UPC service works it's great I have to admit but lord help you if it goes down 'cause UPC certainly wont. Dire customer service staffed by incompetent muppets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Christ lads, the poor fella's got what seems to be a very annoying problem with UPC and all that some of you can say is that your own service is great?:confused: What good is that?!

OP, what area are you in (roughly)? When UPC has speed and reliability problems they tend to hit a certain area. River Valley in Swords is a recent example that springs to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭TankGuy

I live in Cabra and i get disconnects every night, usually about 3 or 4. Im not a gamer so it doesnt bother me but if your near Cabra your not alone on this issue.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Christ lads, the poor fella's got what seems to be a very annoying problem with UPC and all that some of you can say is that your own service is great?:confused:What good is that?![/QUOTE]To ensure if a new user surfs here and reads the thread they don't think OPs situation represents all UPC users situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

TankGuy wrote: »
    I live in Cabra and i get disconnects every night, usually about 3 or 4. Im not a gamer so it doesnt bother me but if your near Cabra your not alone on this issue.

Again, is it a wired connection that is dropping or a wireless connection to your PC? There are so many wireless routers in your area (lots of terraced housing) that they may be interfering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

The only way to see if it is a crap service from UPC is to hook up your pc/laptop directly into the modem.
    Cut out all the (wireless) routers and if it then still happens you may have a point blaming UPC.
    I am not defending UPC here, just it is not always clear for most people what exactly the problem is.
    make the connection as simple as possible and you soon know a lot more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Nody wrote: »
    Christ lads, the poor fella's got what seems to be a very annoying problem with UPC and all that some of you can say is that your own service is great?:confused:What good is that?![/QUOTE]To ensure if a new user surfs here and reads the thread they don't think OPs situation represents all UPC users situation.
    The topic of this thread is some user's problem with their UPC connection. It could be their own fault or it could be their tech service. How in the name of all that's holy will pointing out other working UPC connections help?!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭TankGuy

Im using a wireless connection to the modem but whats happening me is the all the four green lights go out on the UPC modem and then start to go on again as if its starting up. So i reckon its a UPC problem with them dropping connection.

Had another engineer out today, gave me a new router with ethernet cables and power supply lead (i wanted to eliminate as much as i could) i have a wired connection from the router to the PC with wireless turned off and waiting to see what happens tonight, if its still the same i think ill go to magnet Bolt 12MB special gaming package with a dedicated line, you can google them as might be classed as advertising if i do a link,

fingers crossed ! ill post tomorrow and let you all know

TankGuy wrote: »
    Im using a wireless connection to the modem but whats happening me is the all the four green lights go out on the UPC modem and then start to go on again as if its starting up. So i reckon its a UPC problem with them dropping connection.

Thats excactly it mate , sometimes it also totally resets itself back to factory settings so all my renamed SSID and security settings are gone, the mind boggles but when i asked the engineer did he know of any problems with the router he did say that UPC are using a new "Thompson" (didnt give a model) for the new 100MB lines, wonder if they know of a problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Sarn

I have to say my experience with UPC has been fairly good so far. However, I do get the random modem reset every now and then, just did it 20 mins ago. I put it down to having it off when at work all day so it misses an update, or something like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

My UPC has always been flaky like this, UPC have never been able to eliminate the problems, over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

Must have got mine in around the same time as the OP....been nothing but good since, very good no problems at all

I've no use for wireless so that might explain alot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

The OP is gone a week. I'm guessing he either has no internet at all, or all the problems disappeared once he went "wired"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

Wishox wrote: »
    Thats excactly it mate , sometimes it also totally resets itself back to factory settings so all my renamed SSID and security settings are gone, the mind boggles but when i asked the engineer did he know of any problems with the router he did say that UPC are using a new "Thompson" (didnt give a model) for the new 100MB lines, wonder if they know of a problem

Could be a dodgy power outlet, I would try it on a different plug or run it through a plug bar with a surge protector on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Definitley agree with OP about upc's poor service, 2 months i was was waiting to get broadband installed because of incompetent ups phone staff and "engineers", although they did still manage to charge me for those 2 months despite numerous phone calls
    Get onto comreg, I did and they weren't long about sorting everything out then
    UPC just dont care when things go wrong
    And can i just say a big WOW to some of the replies in this thread, Obnoxious ******s

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

darokane wrote: »
    Definitley agree with OP about upc's poor service, 2 months i was was waiting to get broadband installed because of incompetent ups phone staff and "engineers", although they did still manage to charge me for those 2 months despite numerous phone calls
    Get onto comreg, I did and they weren't long about sorting everything out then
    UPC just dont care when things go wrong
    And can i just say a big WOW to some of the replies in this thread, Obnoxious ******s

:D if someone has had no problem with them what do you expect they say? ....you could then say well keep your nose out but that would be a bit obnoxious of you, it's a discussion forum is it not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Saaron

We have the 30mb broadband and it was good at first, but lately it cuts out constantly, isn't very fast most of the time, and in the mornings or at various other times it causes so much lagging when we play xbox. Really annoyed.

I was at my family's house today and connected to their old Eircom broadband in a room that has a very weak connection and even that was faster than UPC. I used to think Eircom was bad until I used UPC. Even the old Eircom connection they have never cuts out and has good speeds!

Maybe it's the router, or maybe it's a waste of money.

I don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

I have had this problem for months with UPC. It cuts out between 3 - 10 times every night. Anytime I phone UPC, they either say we'll get someone to fix it, or that there is a problem with their computer and they cant see the details of my road (rathmines).
    I rang back last week, and was told they would get a supervisor to call me back.....he must be so busy, as he never got back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

On UPC for 4 years never had any problem with them or the quality of service. (At least none that wasn't solved be switching the router/modem on and off again.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

dogpile wrote: »
    :D if someone has had no problem with them what do you expect they say? ....you could then say well keep your nose out but that would be a bit obnoxious of you, it's a discussion forum is it not
    Because correcting someones grammar is normal, well it is to some of the muppets that frequent boards #muppets

Advertisement