Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing baby to visit friend in Hospital?

• 20-04-2011 12:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Would it be ok to bring my 5 month old baby to visit someone in hospital that has just given birth? My gut feeling is no. What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I would advise against it, unless you are in the Holles Private wing or Mount Carmel Private.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks! It's a public ward.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭part time punk

Don't think you can in the Rotunda, they're very strict there on visiting. Only 2 at a time and no babies I think. When my nephew was born about 6 months after daughter, my wife and I had to take it turns to go up while the otehr minded our daughter downstairs. The Coombe on the other hand is a free for all at visiting. Not complaining by the way, staff are fab and my wife was treated great.

The main issue is probably risk of passing bugs or your baby picking up something etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Don't think you can in the Rotunda, they're very strict there on visiting. Only 2 at a time and no babies I think. When my nephew was born about 6 months after daughter, my wife and I had to take it turns to go up while the otehr minded our daughter downstairs. The Coombe on the other hand is a free for all at visiting. Not complaining by the way, staff are fab and my wife was treated great.

The main issue is probably risk of passing bugs or your baby picking up something etc.

The Coombe is no longer free for all, apparently they have a card system like the Rotunda now

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭part time punk

January wrote: »
    The Coombe is no longer free for all, apparently they have a card system like the Rotunda now

Thanks for that. Yeah that was just over 2 years ago but good to now for the new arrival in October

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

Just a side point:

As a man who has recovered from an operation or 2 I'm always conscious of being a good visitor, as during my recovery in hospital visitors can be quite draining on you. I think the mentality is "the longer I stay the more I care" but sometimes popping in for 15 minutes having a chat, seeing if they need anything and bailing out is sometimes the best type of visitor.

That said, they could be bored out of their mind and be clinging to your ankles on the way out. :)

It's just something I always consider when visiting someone in hospital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I have to say that when i wasn't allowed to have visitors when i had Ben (Cdiff infection in the hospital) it was brilliant.. was in for 2 nights and i didn't feel like i had to look presentable or even to stay awake for visits . . my husband was the only one allowed in.

Visitors can be extremely draining and you need the time to get over the trauma of childbirth. I know people want to see the baby but it's much easier when you get home. .:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

I was snowed in when I had Megan so I didn't have a soul come visit me! Not even Daddy for one of the days! It was lovely! Its a very important bonding time for the baby and parents, especially if they are trying to establish breastfeeding. The less visitors the better in my opinion!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

In Holles Street they currently have 'grandparents only' in the public section. Not sure if semi and private is the same (certainly wasn't in the past)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭She Devil

I didn't want visitors at all! But I know thats not your question, I wouldn't bring my baby to visit a friend and hers! I think just to see you pop in is best! You can visit with baby when they are home!

• Advertisement
Advertisement