Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heart monitors

• 20-04-2011 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hey ,

Sorry if this has been covered before but I am fairly new to running and I was wondering what people's views were on heart monitors ? Are they worth the money or are they only worth it for more serious runners . I am currently doing roughly 5.5km and I am hoping to build this to 10km in time .

All help here is greatly appreciated and sorry again if this has been done

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

There are a whole bunch of threads about this in the Gear and Equiptment forum [link above]

But here for simplicity : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1412

Easier for you to go there, and you can pick and choose what you want :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

A heart rate monitor is useful if you want to train at particular effort rates. For example, on some runs people will try to keep their heart rate below 75%, or below 90%, or whatever it is.
    I don't think you need to be so precise when you are just starting off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I cant see any need for one at your level of training, I have a garmin and I never use the HRM.

If you are targetting 10k and you are doing a mixture of long slow runs, endurance runs and speed work, you would be better off using perceived effort as an indication of how fast you should be going, or how hard you should be running. I think you are better off in the long run if you get a feel for that yourself and not be over-reliant on a number on a machine.

Advertisement