Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need a new GPU - recommendations?

Options
  • 20-04-2011 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭

budget is around €170, dont mind the etailer (HWVS will be fine too as im ordering from there)

also dont have a fanboi-esqe for ATI or Nvidia. i like Nvidia's physX (currently have a GTX 460 768mb) but it seems to be hackable to work on ATI's cards in games.

im leaning towards the HD 6870. any other suggestions? is it worth throwing another €50 at the budget to bring me into 560Ti (or similar) territory?

Thanks

EDIT: i was looking at the BA sapphire 5850 (or maybe 2 of them!) on pixmania, but i never hear anything good said about pix. also, it seems all is not right with those cards.
    owners thread on overclockers.co.uk. people arent having much luck OC'ing and there have been a good few DOA/RMA's...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Not sure that you would see the benefit going from the GTX 460 to the HD 5850; even though you "only" have the 768mb version. See here: [Link]

Also, unless you have an unusually high resolution 19" monitor I don't know whether even a much more expensive card would make a noticeable difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Fnz wrote: »
    Not sure that you would see the benefit going from the GTX 460 to the HD 5850; even though you "only" have the 768mb version. See here: [Link]

Also, unless you have an unusually high resolution 19" monitor I don't know whether even a much more expensive card would make a noticeable difference.
    yea i know thats why i was looking at 2 5850's really. the monitor is being replaced shortly for a 1080p or 1200p :)

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭seyeM

If it's an option, you could sell your 460 and use the extra cash to go for a GTX 570 or ATI 6970

seyeM wrote: »
    If it's an option, you could sell your 460 and use the extra cash to go for a GTX 570 or ATI 6970
    yea im selling my GTX 460. im looking at the 6950 2gb http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=41640&agid=1165 but im getting mixed results on wether it will fit into my case (coolermaster storm scout)
    some say it will, some say it wont..
    and noone appears to know the actual length of that particular card!!
    even on saffire's own website it doesnt list dimensions.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭seyeM

That looks to be the reference cooler, some other cards list it as ~27.5 cm long

You try their website?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    yea im selling my GTX 460. im looking at the 6950 2gb http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=41640&agid=1165 but im getting mixed results on wether it will fit into my case (coolermaster storm scout)
    some say it will, some say it wont..
    and noone appears to know the actual length of that particular card!!
    even on saffire's own website it doesnt list dimensions.

Have one it's 10.75"

thanks Sink. if i get one, im going to have to mod the case with a dremel or something :(

anyone tell me what they think of the GTX 480?

this one specifically?

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-079-GI

looks to be a good price, but it is worth buying dated (but powerful) 480 instead of the 6950? its going to work out at maybe €50 more..

im a little bit worried about my PSU coping with that thing.
    ive a Cooler Master Silent Pro Series - 600 Watt
    and this is going to bundled with an i5 2500k that'll be overclocked..

I've just heard general things about the GTX 480/470 (i.e. that they're loud, run hot and consume a lot of power). Nothing about specific third party designs, unfortunately.

Be sure to check out the 480 cards on Scan's Today Only page. Couple of them are around £185 including this KFA2 with custom cooler. Scan is annoying in that you only see the reduced price on the Today Only page.

Fnz wrote: »
    I've just heard general things about the GTX 480/470 (i.e. that they're loud, run hot and consume a lot of power). Nothing about specific third party designs, unfortunately.

Be sure to check out the 480 cards on Scan's Today Only page. Couple of them are around £185 including this KFA2 with custom cooler. Scan is annoying in that you only see the reduced price on the Today Only page.

:confused:
    i cant see the 480's on their day only page?

156141.JPG

what am i doing wrong?

Just an edit: the card from Scan works out at only £10 cheaper than the Super OC edition from OCuk. might stay with the SOC edition so.

im starting to wonder if im spending too much on a GPU... aaarg.
    Also, i think ATI will be launching a full on 3D challenge to the nvidia 3d vision stuff, making me want to stick with ATI, as down the line i then have the option of 3 monitor eyefinity OR 3D, depending on the way games move forward. with Nvidia i can only do 2 screen setup or 3d... aaarg choices...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

If you have SLI, you can have 3 monitors + 3D.

I think that you'd want to go to at least the 560 or 6950 region to appreciate the upgrade from a 460 unless you just want an extra few frames in something.

The 470/480s would want to be very cheap before I'd buy them. You'd lose out in the long run with their hunger for energy.

• Advertisement

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    :confused:
    i cant see the 480's on their day only page?

what am i doing wrong?

Scroll down further. It's under the "Nvidia Graphics" section

CTRL+F "NVIDIA 480", should bring you to the subheading.

Thanks.

Im trying to avoid using 2 cards for now as it severely limits upgrade potential. i dont forsee me doing 3x monitor 3d anytime soon, as the 3D monitors are very pricey, but i dont want to rule out 3 monitor (2D) gaming as that sounds viable when i get more money. and without SLI, nvidia is out of the picture, so it looks like my original 6950 idea is back on board. bearing that all in mind, is it worth my while getting the 2gb 6950 or will the 1gb suffice? A custom 2gb 6950 that'll fit into my case (the reference PCB wont) is alot more than a custom 1gb model that fits.

EDIT: actually, none of the 6950 2gb models HWVS has will fit into my case. dont really want to mod my case...
    this is the cheapest 1gb model that will fit with 5mm to spare :)
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=45196&agid=1004
    but if they send me this one by accident
    which has the exact same spec sheet etc, it wont fit :(

if either of ye had €200 to spend on a GPU, what would it be? im not against SLI/CFx per say, and my potential board will support both, but i just dont think its a good idea. i know XFX dont have a great name, but im quite limited in my choices, because my case can only take a card upto 10.5" ~ 26.5cm :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

1 and 2GB are pretty similar. If you're thinking of 3 monitors and higher resolution go for 2. HD resolution, save the money and go with 1.

ok it looks like i should spend the few quid extra and get this?

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=41640&agid=1165

ill just have to borrow a dremel and cut the case up a bit... :(

I went with those dual 5850s from the BA thread. I was hesitant as I would have preferred a single GPU but the performance charts won me over.

Prior to choosing I was considering the MSI Twin Frozr GTX 560 ti as Scan had it for £180 at the time (and today, actually) and it seems very quiet when idle, and very cool at all times (potential to reduce the fan speed so it remains quiet at load).

I want my PC to be ready for Battlefield 3 @ 1920x 1200 so choosing a card was difficult as nobody knows how demanding it will be.

Advertisement