Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A decent wine...

Options
  • 20-04-2011 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

My sister and her husband have just had their first child and I am looking to buy them a decent bottle of wine that will keep well for some years. The idea being that they will crack it open on some special occasion (communion, confirmation, or 18th etc...). Anyone got any idea's of what wine would keep best, preferably a red? Is it true that champagne doesn't keep at all? Thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Baggio1

Champange ages very well actually, even the basic non vintage will improve over a couple of years if kept properly,, vintage champagne needs to be at least 10 years old to be at its best anyway so thats a good idea. Also good quality Amarone or Barolo from Italy and any decent Bordeux Reds should age 15 - 20 years if properly stored.

best of luck with it :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Your best bet is to head to a proper wine store and ask there as even if we recommend a bottle on here you might not be able to find it wherever you're based.

A decent Burgundy, Châteauneuf-du-Pape, or even a good Rioja can be aged for years and years though you'd need to check specifically for each brand.

Forget anything in a supermarket as they're sold to drink now/soon.

The Sunday papers food/drink sections sometimes have recommendations for ageable wines as well so you could keep an eye on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

which? wrote: »
    My sister and her husband have just had their first child and I am looking to buy them a decent bottle of wine that will keep well for some years. !
    If you want to keep wine for years, then the conditions you keep it in are very important. If it's going to be kept under the kichen sink or in the living room table for the next 10 years, it's not going to be in a good condition when they eventually open it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭shy-tall-knight

which? wrote: »
    My sister and her husband have just had their first child and I am looking to buy them a decent bottle of wine that will keep well for some years. The idea being that they will crack it open on some special occasion (communion, confirmation, or 18th etc...). Anyone got any idea's of what wine would keep best, preferably a red? Is it true that champagne doesn't keep at all? Thanks!

The problem you will have is that you will not be able to pick up a bottle for a couple years down the road. If the child was born in 2011 then the earliest you will probably get a wine from the 2011 vintage is in two years time. If you were not fussy about the year and you just wanted a good wine that will keep then the logical recommendation would be a good Bordeaux. 2005 is a classic vintage but if you want one to keep for 20 or so years be prepared to spend at least a couple of hundred and possibly more. Tertre Rotebeauf is one that I recently tried over in Bordeaux and was quite simply the greatest thing I have ever tasted in my life and possibly ever will. It retails for about 300 I think here but once stored correctly would unquestionably last 30 years easily.

In regard to Champagne the majority that is produced is non-vintage champagne ie it is a blend of different vintages. Vintage champagne is only produced when the year is particularly good. Like good red wine, be expected to pay top dollar for a champagne that is expected to last, you can even expect to pay a lot more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Baggio1 wrote: »
    Champange ages very well actually, even the basic non vintage will improve over a couple of years if kept properly,, vintage champagne needs to be at least 10 years old to be at its best anyway so thats a good idea. Also good quality Amarone or Barolo from Italy and any decent Bordeux Reds should age 15 - 20 years if properly stored.

best of luck with it :)

I've always heard that there's no ageing potential (meaning ability to improve with age) to Champagne, that its bottled when ready to drink.

There are far more descent Bordeaux reds that will be dead before seeing sight of 15 years than there are which can reach that age with relative confidence.

Properly stored is key like you mentioned.

Though my advice for the OP would perhaps to get a nice bottle of vintage port. Safer ageing potential and easier to store.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

+1 on the port, safer bet - make sure it is sold for aging - and a good, recognised producer - as there is a lot of tat on the market!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Anyone know what this stuff is like?

http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_ie/hs.xsl/4182_9306.htm

Its on special for 3.99

Advertisement