Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my new graphic card :) could use advice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭seyeM

The more expensive of the 2 cards you linked has GDDR5, which is a lot better then DDR3. But it's way too expensive at €95.

- What are the specs of the rest of your PC? your processor and power supply in particular.
    - What games will you be interested in playing?

If you were considering spending around €100, go for this instead if your PC's power supply is up to it:

http://www.dabs.ie/products/xfx-ati-radeon-5770-hd-1gb-ddr5-pci-e-hdmi-single-slot--includes-dirt2---stormrise-download--75GN.html?q=5770

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

yeah if i was even going to consider the GDDR5 card I'd just bump up to 5770.

Though if you can find it, the 6770 is a step up from that again: a rebranded 5770 but with a 256-bit memory bus vs. a 128-bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 ikazimirs

thats the thing thou i dont want to spend 100 euro on the card :) and my main question is as much as common sense says that ddr5 is better than ddr3 what is the actuall impact on gameplay??
    rest of specs

OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium
    Version 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002
    Other OS Description Not Available
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name PC-1
    System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
    System Model Studio 540
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz, 2336 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. 1.0.4, 26/09/2008
    SMBIOS Version 2.5
    Windows Directory C:\Windows
    System Directory C:\Windows\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume3
    Locale Ireland
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6002.18005"
    User Name Pc-1\Ivo&Ki-kii
    Time Zone GMT Daylight Time
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 3.00 GB
    Total Physical Memory 3.00 GB
    Available Physical Memory 1.02 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 6.20 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 4.23 GB
    Page File Space 3.29 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys
    and since the PC is not that old i doubt i would have problem on power supply but honestly how do i check it ;) lol :)

and in general is the cheaper option still a good upgrade about games im not hardcore last i played was Dragon age 2 and caesar IV and also Last remnant :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

ikazimirs wrote: »
    System Model Studio 540
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz, 2336
    Google says that the 540 systems which came with a quad core only had 350W PSUs. Also, in typical Dell fashion, I doubt it'll have any extra leads coming from it's PSU for upgrades.

Turn the machine off, unplug it, press the on button twice to ensure there is no left over power, and then open up the case. On the side of the PSU it will say it's Wattage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Yup, need to know what leads are available, even then there's issues with the rail arrangement on the current 350W Dell PSUs...

so i just ordered the cheaper video card and it might not even work?? :((

A HD5670 should work fine, it uses feck-all power :p IMHO you'd have been much better off tracking down a cheap or second-hand HD5750 though...

oh i know that i just taught since it has 1 gb and 775 clock spead it would statisfy my needs since my old one is 256 mb and 400 clock speed :P but as i checked on the website it needs 400w or more power supply and as someone stated above my studio only has 350w ...but the card still should work just not to its full potential right? (man im starting to hate dell ) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

ikazimirs wrote: »
    i checked on the website it needs 400w or more power supply and as someone stated above my studio only has 350w ...but the card still should work just not to its full potential right? (man im starting to hate dell ) :D
    If it needs 400W, you need 400W. If it doesn't get the full power it needs, it may do damage to your system, and also to the card itself. A decent 400W PSU will set you back about €40-€50 (elara.ie). Ensure you get a good brand. A sh|te brand four-gizillion-Watt PSU is worthless if you plan on hooking up a decent GFX card to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

the_syco wrote: »
    If it needs 400W, you need 400W. If it doesn't get the full power it needs, it may do damage to your system, and also to the card itself. A decent 400W PSU will set you back about €40-€50 (elara.ie). Ensure you get a good brand. A sh|te brand four-gizillion-Watt PSU is worthless if you plan on hooking up a decent GFX card to it.

You're scaring him. Cards always state higher PSU's for legal and safety reasons.

The card will pull about 65watts at max
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/HD_5670_1_GB/28.html

Even a crap 350 watt should run this.

On one machine I have a 4770, which actually draws more power running on a CRAP 300 watt with a hungry CPU.

Those reading look incredibly high. If anything a HD5750 would draw that much on average! :p 1GB GDDR5 versions can use more than the usual 25W on average and OCd models can gobble down crazy amounts of juice, but I seriously doubt a non-OCd GDDR3 version would go over 40W unless you hit it with OCCT :o

thanks guys i red the first answer and taught oh shi* oh shi* :D:D:D daMAGE system and all :P ut yeah should be here next week so see what happens :)

Advertisement