Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I use an Eircom router with Imagine BB?

• 20-04-2011 1:28pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 579 ✭✭✭

Hi

I moved flats and now have an Imagine Broadband Zyxel Prestige 600 Series wired router but it does not have wireless functionality.

My old connection was the Eircom 3MB package and I had a Netopia Wireless router.

I would like to use my laptop wirelessly in the house but I will need to get a new router to do so.

So I am wondering can I configure the eircom netopia router so that
    I can still connect to imagine via my phoneline and then be able to use the wireless capability of the netopia router?

Or will I need to contact Imagine and ask them to supply a wireless one?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭coolpix23

I've worked for an ISP and set up other ISP's routers for my company, when it comes down to it a router is a router.

The ex state owned ISP's often have a generic user name/password on the router and use the phone line id, actually called the CSI (Calling Station ID) for the bill. With eircom.net it's eircom@eircom.net, password broadband1.

With others like Imagine you might need to get a username/password unique to you that they have set up.

Now there's two stages. They are distinct steps.

You need to get the eircom modem/router to talk to Imagine,
    You need to get your laptop to talk to the eircom box.

Do you have the bright yellow cable that came with the eircom router/modem, the connector just looks like a normal phone cable but is slightly bigger, if you have one from Imagine, maybe a different colour that's fine. It should fit "snugly" with a little pressure into any one of the 4 LAN sockets on the back of the eircom/netopia router.

OK for the first step, you need a username/password... if you're using the Imagine box wired you already have that but you need to be able to type it in to the eircom box configuration ( BY THE WAY I DON'T NEED TO KNOW IT and NOBODY ELSE EVEN AN IMAGINE ENGINEER DOESN'T NEEDS
    TO KNOW IT).

OK now change the Imagine box for the eircom one. So we have a laptop with the network cable to that little silver eircom box, a phone cable from the eircom router to the phone socket.

Are there lights on the eircom box? At this stage some should be red? No? check it's turned on, it's connected to the transformer and the wall socket is turned on.

Now you need to get the eircom box to talk to Imagine....

in the browser address bar type

http://192.168.1.254/

then depends on the exact model, but on the left, "Expert Mode" -> [Yes,enter expert mode] on the right...->Configure->Connection and that's where you need the user name and password from Imagine,,,,enter them, scroll down, [Save and Restart Connection]

Try browsing with the cable still connected, try something random in google

That's the first part.

Then disconnect the cable from the laptop to eircom box.

Now look for wireless networks, there should be one that matches your old eircom one, the sticker on the modem/router....if it's the same router and laptop that part is already setup, it's like moving from o2 to voda, somebody else charges you!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 579 ✭✭✭panama

Thanks a million for the detailed answer will give it a go tonight, cheers!!

Advertisement