Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NZ Visa - Applying after travelling?

Options
  • 20-04-2011 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My wife is a kiwi and I'm Irish and we're moving to NZ at the end of May. Being the classic laid back care-free Irishman that I am - I haven't got my visa sorted out yet and am now officially last-minute-panic syndrome.

My only saving grace is that, being from the north, I have 2 passports - Irish and UK. The UK passport gets me a 6 month visa-free stint in NZ from arrival at the airport. So, I'm wondering if I should apply for the visa before I go or just do it when I get there as I'll have 6 months to get it sorted out when I'm there.

Anyone here gone that route or is it a total non-option? Any other advice?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭20260622

Are you moving for good or just short term? If not for good, apply for a WHV, you will have an answer back 2-3 days. If your moving for good, you could come on the British passport but I dont think you'd be allowed to work. If that isnt a problem, go for it but get straight onto the visa when you arrive. Once you are married there shouldnt be much hassle getting a visa fairly quick. Medicals will be cheaper here too :) Good Luck with the move, its a great country :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I don't know about NZ, but for Canada you can't apply for a permanent visa while you're in Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

20260622 wrote: »
    Are you moving for good or just short term? If not for good, apply for a WHV, you will have an answer back 2-3 days. If your moving for good, you could come on the British passport but I dont think you'd be allowed to work. If that isnt a problem, go for it but get straight onto the visa when you arrive. Once you are married there shouldnt be much hassle getting a visa fairly quick. Medicals will be cheaper here too :) Good Luck with the move, its a great country :D

Lovely - that's what I wanted to hear! Going for good - will be in auckland from august/september. Can't wait :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I came to NZ on a WHV because I couldn't be bothered getting the proper visa before I left. My fiance is a kiwi so I have the same visa as you will get, residency through partnership.

I applied from NZ no problem and got the visa in 6 months. Be warned though, that was considered getting it quick. If you apply for a working visa through partnership (as opposed to residency through partnership) it only takes a few weeks to that might be a better option for you. If you come to NZ just using your British passport you won't be able to work until you get a visa and living in NZ really isn't as cheap as people think it is so it's in your interest to get the visa as quick as possible. Coming in to the country on your British passport with no other visa just allows you to remain in NZ as a tourist for 6 months, it doesn't allow you work or open a bank account or any of the other things you will need to do to get settled in NZ.

However, getting a working visa and residency are both expensive (the residency application alone costs $1000 and that's not including medicals and x-rays) so I recommend getting the residency over the working visa as it saves you money in the long run, even though it takes longer to get. You need residency to avail of a lot of free government services (like some healthcare and things) and you can only work in government departments permanently if you have residency, if you are on a work visa you can only take contracts there. Also, you can't get a NZ credit unless you are a NZ residenct (i.e. not on a working visa).

I got my residency two years ago, after two years you apply again to get permanent residency. I ahve that now which means I can live in NZ for life, even if I leave for 20 years I can come back and live and work here as if I'm a citizen. I definitely recommend getting residency over a working visa if you intend to stay in NZ.

oh and by the way, being married doesn't mean you get the visa any quicker. The visas through partnership don't reward you for being married, your marriage certificate is just one piece of evidence you need to prove partnership. Make sure to bring some extra bits to support your application, the more you ahve the quicker you will get your visa.

• Advertisement

watna wrote: »
    oh and by the way, being married doesn't mean you get the visa any quicker. The visas through partnership don't reward you for being married, your marriage certificate is just one piece of evidence you need to prove partnership. Make sure to bring some extra bits to support your application, the more you ahve the quicker you will get your visa.

Thanks a lot mate - really put some of the nerves to rest there! NZ here I come then :)

Promac wrote: »
    Thanks a lot mate - really put some of the nerves to rest there! NZ here I come then :)

Best of luck - I don't envy you having to go through the visa process though. I'm glad those days are behind me :)

Yeah I'm not lookin forward to it at all ... it's the uncertainty of it that freaks me out. Wish it was just a checklist that you can tick off and know for a fact you'll get in or not.

Anyway - if you're anywhere near Mount Eden in September pints are on me!

Advertisement