Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in Galway City

Options
  • 20-04-2011 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hey! Am moving back to Galway for the summer – Have managed to get a room in an apartment down at the Spanish Arch if I want to take it! Is this a good location to live in? Anything I should be aware of in this locality? Thanks for any advice! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

There must be a dozen of these threads started in the last few months. It might be faster to do a search than start a new one

It's a good spot if you want to be able to walk out your front door and start drinking straight away - not so good if you want a decent night's sleep at the weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I lived there a few years back for over a year- in the apartments directly looking onto the spanish arch; and my room looked out onto the plaza..was a little worried initially about the noise but honestly it was fine. Naturally it is noisier during festival weekends and Rag week, but nothing like we expected. Great during the summer, having bbqs and people watching. Come night time things quietened down, and there would be the occasional guitar strumming fella who quietened down come 11pm.

The one thing I did notice is the constant noise of the water; therapuetic to some but when i spend an odd night in my home house, I found it odd as i had gotten so used to it.

I'd say go for it. Most of the flats are in good nick as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 HouseGalway

Thank you LadyMayBelle for the information - great stuff! Sounds like the same places I'm moving into! Yay - excited now :D

Ha, would be gas if it were the same one...up the steps and turn left?... I have great memories of living there..

Only downside..friends popping by when drinking down the arch and asking "can I use your loo?"

Happy moving in :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Other things to be aware of include

The corpo vacuum cleaners whicha re out from about 5:30am every morning- and when you see what folks do to your neighbourhood every night, you will grow to love the cleaners despite the noise in the mornings.

And the drumming circles. Doom-da-da-doom-da-da-doom ... etc can get tiresome. Thankfully they seem to have decreases a little last year.

On the plus side, Dunnes stores + lots of bought food options are five minutes walk away.

JustMary wrote: »
    Other things to be aware of include

The corpo vacuum cleaners whicha re out from about 5:30am every morning- and when you see what folks do to your neighbourhood every night, you will grow to love the cleaners despite the noise in the mornings.

And the drumming circles. Doom-da-da-doom-da-da-doom ... etc can get tiresome. Thankfully they seem to have decreases a little last year.

On the plus side, Dunnes stores + lots of bought food options are five minutes walk away.

The corpo vacuum cleaners are horrible alright!! I lived on Merchants Road as well, and like clockwork at 5:30 every morn they be vooooooming past. Head wrecking indeed but alas the location outweighed it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

My friend lives there. I stay over often. Never a problem. Nice house and just so handy. I'd say take it. As long as rent is resonable. Are you going to take it?

Advertisement