Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphic/Web Design Course

Options
  • 20-04-2011 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭

Hi. I'm looking to apply (via the cao) For a Graphic and/or web design course. I've looked around and I can only seem to find much info.
    I was looking at the LetterKennyIT course, and it says that I need art as a leaving cert subject, but I don't do art for LC Because the class was full (and the teacher's an idiot.... lol) I already do some freelance work, and could easily get a portfolio ready of some of my past work (Inc. web designs and general graphic design) Would a portfolio be enough to get past the art req?
    Is there anywhere else that offer a course like this that I can apply for and still get a chance to show them my portfolio.? Any help at all would be great =)
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

CIT do a good course in graphic design (BA in design communications).

http://www.cit.ie/index.cfm/page/baindesigncommunicationcr036

They have a final year exhibition coming up in the next few weeks, it could be worth a visit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 cutefainne

I learned way more from designing myself than any course. Course I did always seems to be years behind. Keep doing the freelance thing and build up a portfolio

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Mister Man wrote: »
    Hi. I'm looking to apply (via the cao)
    Would a portfolio be enough to get past the art req?

No definitely not, with the CAO its done on points and subject requirements, if you don't have that there is no real way around it (inside of the CAO). You could of course apply for the course outside of the CAO and you could get it based on past experience/quality of the portfolio. Or if you really want to do it through the CAO you could just sit the art exam without doing the subject, maybe study online or get grinds and hope you pass. I'm presuming your doing your leaving cert next year, as the deadline for entering your CAO for this year was February.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Art_Wise

If I were you I'd sign up for a portfolio course for a year first of all. I have gone through all this myself and no art or design college will take you on without a great portfolio. You may think that your work is great but when applying they look for specific trains of thought and development in your work, this is why these courses are important. Especially if you don't have art as a subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 gerardbracken

IT Sligo do a good web development and creative media course, ive just completed first year of it and i can honestly say its a rewarding course, only thing is they have a common first year where you have to do other computing subjects like systems and networks, game culture and c# programming, Their not too bad though and the lecturers are quite good, I'd recommend that you look into it

• Advertisement
Advertisement