Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tree ferns (dicksonia antarctica)

Options
  • 20-04-2011 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭

anyone lose any over the winter? i have 2x5 foot ones, and nothing happening yet:(

i wonder are they later this year because of the frost and i was getting a bit cavalier with them over the last few years. they always seemed to make it through the winter, though im not so confident now.

the fronds seemed to be much smaller last year, i wonder can i bulk them up with some food? anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭secman

I have a 2 foot one that i am awaiting the big uncurling, usually get about 12 2 metre long fonds ! Just happened to check it last night, I usually have a feel down around the crown and i can feel the knuckle of the fonds.. so hopefully its ok.
    In past years my new fonds only appeared in late April, early May, usually after a mild wet spell. I'm giving it plent of water in this dry spell, they don't like to dry out at all.

Best of luck

Secman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

I had 6 - 2 were quite big and old -- I think all are dead. The only fronds I can feel/see are brown and soft instead of the usual firm green ones. Am hoping they may recover but realistically am already planning their replacements :(

If yours have survived, a nice dilute feed directly into the crown has worked well for me in the past. Any regular feed should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭emo72

a little update. i have 2 of these. the one that i feared for the most is definitely trying to sprout something.

when i look into the crown i can see to about 4 inches down. the centre is white. and around the centre i can see the "knuckles" developing.

the white bit is whats interesting, because i dont know if thats damage or normal.

my other plant is hairy and it is built right up that you cant see inside it. this was covered up and looks much healthier.

still worried though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭secman

Just an update, still no sign of fonds emerging, had another feel in the crown, those knuckles i previously referred to, when squeezed feel a bit mushy :(.

Seriously getting concerned now that it might have kicked the bucket :(:(

Secman

• Registered Users Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭emo72

loads of bad weather on the way. i have 3 new ones but i've put them in a shed to overwinter this time. no risks!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

emo72 wrote: »
    loads of bad weather on the way. i have 3 new ones but i've put them in a shed to overwinter this time. no risks!

Put some garden fleece over them too.

You can get a 1 x 10 meter roll of white fleece for around 6-7 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Put more than fleece over them if its going to get very cold, perhaps a bit of sacking too, I lost mine a few years back and was very careful to wrap in fleece and a tea towel in on the crown, they were outside. In the year that we lost them we went down to -12 so a shed would not be far off that so still risky, it took 2 years to die or as we had another severe winter after that one just finally got killed off. A conservatory or greenhouse would be preferable given the cost of the plants or even a south facing window if you have a bit of space inside.

It is my understanding that they can take up to -6 but are not in any way frost hardy.

Advertisement