Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

plastic/rubber to block gap under gate

• 20-04-2011 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭

hi
    gate opens uphill, so when its closed theres a sizeable gap under it, anyone have any idea where id get some plastic or rubber to attach to the bottom of it to block the gap and deter the mutt from going out under it ..

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

How big/small is the gap??

I had a similar problem all I used to do was put the wheelie bins up against the door... before we had the wheelie bins i just used a couple of normal building blocks on their side, done the job!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

4 to 5 inches so yeah blocks or wood or whatever would do the job, problem is its the gate for the car to go in and out of, so youd be moving the blocks etc all the time, was hoping to fix a bit of rubber to the back of the gate permanently

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

You could fit a length of timber horizontally along it on hinges so you could fold it up when you want to open the gate and let it down when you want to close it

yeah, i had thought that, or maybe put it on a small length of chain to block the gap a bit more, but i thought the rubber would maybe have a bit more resistance from the dog getting thru it point of view, but the whole thing is more a visual detterrent than anything, its only when his around the gate that he puts the nose under , he doesnt head for it in general , so i think thats maybe the best solution..
    i thought there might be strips of rubber available on d net somewhere, but if there is i cant find them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

maybe a strip of old carpet as a temporary measure?
    can be stapled easily enough to a wooden gate

• Advertisement

think the timber idea is the winner, tidiest option, its only a gravel / maintenance driveway at the moment so if we ever get tarmac itl take an inch or 2 off it,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

ya could always fatten the dog up!! ;) the timber option does sound good tho...

you could try a pvc strip, like the ones they use as freezer doors if you know what i am talking about, that would be perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭stacexD

We used some chicken wire when we had the same problem! we took it down about a year later and the dogs wouldnt think of going under the gate

Advertisement