Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

submitting a meter reading to board gais

Options
  • 20-04-2011 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭

How can i submit a meter reading on an estimated bill? IS the only way to ring them? Before with ESB/Airtricity you could do it online?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

You can do it online bizarelly for one but not the other - by that I mean we are with Bord Gais for gas and electricity - I can't remember which one won't let you do it online, but the other does. You have to call in the one that doesn't. Confused? I know I am ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

snaps wrote: »
    How can i submit a meter reading on an estimated bill? IS the only way to ring them? Before with ESB/Airtricity you could do it online?
    bord gais wont let you submit a customer reading after they have produced your bill on their system so you will have to ring them if you want an amended bill sent out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

thats not much good then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I'm pretty sure I've submitted gas readings online for BG. For some reason, you can't do it for the electricity. Neither can you get a payment card for the electric which seems completely mad...

We like to pay weekly, so handing over the entire bill at the PO is a pain in the arse!

In both cases, if the bill is estimated, we immediately read the meter and send over the reading. The adjustment is shown on the next bill. If I speak to the operator, then I get them to tell me what the adjusted bill should be, and make a note on the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

ESB Networks are responsible for your Meter just submit it to them with your MPRN.

http://www.esb.ie/esbnetworks/en/domestic-customers/metering/submit_meter_reading.jsp

Bord Gais and Airtricity don't manage the Grid or Meters.

Its just a bit confusing becuase people always confuse ESB Networks and ESB retail as being the same.

Same setup here in Holland, i.e. we had our electricity wth Eneco but our Network operator was Net Beheer and we'd submit readings to them. You could submit it directly but they log it on the same system i.e. with the Network operator.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

ESB Networks are responsible for your Meter just submit it to them with your MPRN.

http://www.esb.ie/esbnetworks/en/domestic-customers/metering/submit_meter_reading.jsp

Bord Gais and Airtricity don't manage the Grid or Meters.

Its just a bit confusing becuase people always confuse ESB Networks and ESB retail as being the same.

Same setup here in Holland, i.e. we had our electricity wth Eneco but our Network operator was Net Beheer and we'd submit readings to them. You could submit it directly but they log it on the same system i.e. with the Network operator.

Not quite true...

Whilst it is true that the infrastructure is OWNED by ESB, the bill for the end-user is presented by whoever SUPPLIED the electricity, whether it be Bord Gais/Airtricity/A N Other (re-sellers) or ESB. So, unless you're an ESB customer, then you would not pay the bill to ESB.

For instance. Eircom own the telecoms infrastructure. But you could take your telephony from Voda, Eircom, or any other telephony re-seller. You would pay your bill to the supplier and NOT Eircom (unless of course you're an Eircom customer!;))

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Not quite true...

Whilst it is true that the infrastructure is OWNED by ESB, the bill for the end-user is presented by whoever SUPPLIED the electricity, whether it be Bord Gais/Airtricity/A N Other (re-sellers) or ESB. So, unless you're an ESB customer, then you would not pay the bill to ESB.

For instance. Eircom own the telecoms infrastructure. But you could take your telephony from Voda, Eircom, or any other telephony re-seller. You would pay your bill to the supplier and NOT Eircom (unless of course you're an Eircom customer!;))

Not how it works in Electricity i'm afraid, that power coming into your house could be coming from any power station, i.e. your power is generated by whatever is connected to the grid, theres not a wire connecting you to an Airtricity Wind farm.

While Airtricity/Bord Gais provide you a bill, thats all it is, they base that bill on the meter reading that they recieve from ESB Networks.

ESB Networks are the Grid OPERATORS. Airtricity have a Generation Market unit and a Retail Market unit, but do not operate any grid infrastructure themselves.

In the case of Eircom, its called local loop unbundling, the provider you switch to has to pay Eircom Wholesale to use the physical line into your house (Its why Smart Telecom almost went bust)

Your still paying ESB when you use another company because they have to pay the operator to run the grid, the same as when you pay one of the other operators for DSL your still paying money to Eircom for the physical copper wire.

If Airtricity want to cut you off, ESB Networks come out to cut you off.
    If your meter needs replacing then ESB Networks come out and replace it.

And finally:
    networks-home011.jpg

http://www.esb.ie/esbnetworks/en/home/index.jsp

Note the "Regardless of your electricity company" bit :)

Advertisement