Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal wedding called off

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I heard Jim Corr was on the way down, hence the cancellation. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

:mad::mad::mad:

Why should it be broadcast in the first place???? Since when did we have a royal family!!!????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

I agree...

I think all monarchy is discusting when you think of where their wealth originated...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

niallers1 wrote: »
    I agree...

I think all monarchy is discusting when you think of where their wealth originated...

Where? :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Misleading thread-title is misleading...

• Advertisement

Where? :)

Well, what good did the Royal Family ever do for Ireland down through history? I'm not talking about England/Britain or the English, but the royal family specifically. What good have they ever done for Ireland. Zero. Which is why we should completely ignore the royal wedding, but more for the fact that we are not British.....:confused::confused::confused:

I just don't get it........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

seachto7 wrote: »
    :mad::mad::mad:

Why should it be broadcast in the first place???? Since when did we have a royal family!!!????

1921 I think you will find. :D

cue historical corrections :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Meh, if people want to watch it at a fashion show who cares? Let them enjoy it.

Don't see what gives anyone the right to judge and determine what someone else can and can't watch, within reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭adaminho

So if enough people go down and ask can we watch countdown instead, does that mean we can get them to switch over?

adaminho wrote: »
    So if enough people go down and ask can we watch countdown instead, does that mean we can get them to switch over?

Sure, but you know the second a model asked you if you'd turn over so she could see the dresses you'd forget about countdown in a flash. Dare i say if the Bridesmaid from Horse Outside turned up she'd probably convince a few of those complaining to sing God save the Queen, if she wanted, she probably wouldn't though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Well, what good did the Royal Family ever do for Ireland down through history? I'm not talking about England/Britain or the English, but the royal family specifically. What good have they ever done for Ireland.

George V, this queen's grandfather, was instrumental in making the British government call a truce with the Republican forces in 1921.

"The King, who had made his unhappiness at the behaviour of the Black and Tans in Ireland well known to his government, was dissatisfied with the official speech prepared for him for the opening of the new Parliament of Northern Ireland, created as a result of the partition of Ireland. Smuts, a close friend of the King, suggested to him that the opportunity should be used to make an appeal for conciliation in Ireland. The King asked him to draft his ideas on paper. Smuts prepared this draft and gave copies to the King and to Lloyd George. Lloyd George then invited Smuts to attend a British cabinet meeting consultations on the "interesting" proposals Lloyd George had received, without either man informing the Cabinet that Smuts had been their author. Faced with the endorsement of them by Smuts, the King and the Prime Minister, ministers reluctantly agreed to the King's planned 'reconciliation in Ireland' speech."

It was this speech that gave the government very little room for manoeuvre and the truce was called within days.

:) Of course the royal family always had the best interests of the Irish peasants, I mean, natives, at heart always.
    Half of the English have no interest in them. I think they should show anything else but a flippin royal wedding on a big screen in a provincial Irish town...:mad::mad:

:) Of course the royal family always had the best interests of the Irish peasants, I mean, natives, at heart always.
    Half of the English have no interest in them. I think they should show anything else but a flippin royal wedding on a big screen in a provincial Irish town...:mad::mad:

Maybe, and you are entitled to your views but equally people should have the right to watch what they like.

Personally, I've no great love for the premiership but I don't give out that people want to watch English teams.

That's a fair point Amazotheamazing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You missed it lads, it was great craic:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

We didn't leave the commonwealth till 1949. Anyone born to that date can claim a british passport.
    When the RA were bombing the sH!te out of England during the 80's they still welcomed and provided jobs for unemployed Irish.

So I don't know why their is so mush commotion regarding the wedding or upcomming visit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

It is being screened at the Milk Market again.

But now it will be on a smaller screen than as promised. It is a bit of a joke now as different councillors have given very different excuses as to why it is on/off/now on a smaller screen.

Maybe by the end of the day they will be able to agree on what version is the version of the truth they want to say is true.

Seems that they never took into account the fact that the regular Friday flea market is held there at the same time, and the larger screen had never been booked despite the event having being advertised in one of the Cork papers last week.

Today FM had a bit about it this morning, and as with yesterday they are ahead of what Live95FM are reporting about it this morning. Yesterday TodayFM had the stuff about the Flea market, the screen not having being ordered, and the risk of so called unrest, and this morning Live 95FM is reporting some of that as new news. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

lets face it - 95fm is a pile of poo compared to today fm (learnt that while I was in Dell)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Well, what good did the Royal Family ever do for Ireland down through history?

The aqueduct?

The f**kers wouldn't send us a few spuds, and now you have women, and it could only be Celia and co, having a party for them.. Disgraceful stuff :mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Leave out the sexism, seachto.

I know it's not right to post what I did, but it's true!!
    I dunno, each to their own, but I just can't comprehend it?? Am I being over dramatic....
    It'll go on all over the place, not just in Ireland, a party to fawn over dresses and celebs etc.

You know what they should show on the big screen in the milk market:

what's really going on in the world. Show starving kids in Africa, war torn countries in Africa, rape victims in Africa, famine victims in Africa, street children in India, street children in the Ukraine, what's going on in Libya, show why nobody cares about Rwanda and so on....

Show that stuff while adults are playing dress up in the milk market.

Gerry Seinfeld is dead right!!:(:(

Independent city councillor John Gilligan said the “market is not there to promote the monarchy”.

“I’m not against people watching the royal wedding, but I’m not going to go around peddling the illusion that these people are somehow special. It’s palpable nonsense which people should have left behind at six years of age. It’s total fiction,” he said

Too bloody right!

I know it's not right to post what I did, but it's true!!
    I dunno, each to their own, but I just can't comprehend it?? Am I being over dramatic....
    It'll go on all over the place, not just in Ireland, a party to fawn over dresses and celebs etc.

You know what they should show on the big screen in the milk market:

what's really going on in the world. Show starving kids in Africa, war torn countries in Africa, rape victims in Africa, famine victims in Africa, street children in India, street children in the Ukraine, what's going on in Libya, show why nobody cares about Rwanda and so on....

Show that stuff while adults are playing dress up in the milk market.

Gerry Seinfeld is dead right!!:(:(

Independent city councillor John Gilligan said the “market is not there to promote the monarchy”.

“I’m not against people watching the royal wedding, but I’m not going to go around peddling the illusion that these people are somehow special. It’s palpable nonsense which people should have left behind at six years of age. It’s total fiction,” he said

Too bloody right!

While that's all fair enough-ish, people can pick their fashion icons however they please. I wouldn't recognise style if it kicked me square in the face but if you're into fashion this wedding is a big event.

Fashion icons??????? :confused::confused::confused::eek::eek::eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Every bank, public building, office etc. in the country that shows sky news all day will be broadcasting the royal wedding live by default.
    In fact its not a day to be watching Uk TV as its also on BBC1, ITV1 and Channel 5. Also CNN and TLC in America are showing it live as are TV stations in many other countries.
    I don't see the big deal with it being broadcast. Its a major worldwide media event and there are millions who want to see it (including plenty in this country).
    According to a thread on AH RTE are showing it as well.

Fashion icons??????? :confused::confused::confused::eek::eek::eek:

Diana was one of the biggest fashion icons of the last 50 years, at least, I think she was. Kate Midleton is going to be marketed the same way.

Every bank, public building, office etc. in the country that shows sky news all day will be broadcasting the royal wedding live by default.
    In fact its not a day to be watching Uk TV as its also on BBC1, ITV1 and Channel 5. Also CNN and TLC in America are showing it live as are TV stations in many other countries.
    I don't see the big deal with it being broadcast. Its a major worldwide media event and there are millions who want to see it (including plenty in this country).
    According to a thread on AH RTE are showing it as well.

It's one thing it being on tv, you can choose to switch it off or watch it, but throwing a street party for it??? In Ireland???:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's one thing it being on tv, you can choose to switch it off or watch it, but throwing a street party for it??? In Ireland???:confused:

Sure it's another excuss for the celebrity wannabes like Celia to dress up and get there photos in the Limerick Post's Out and About section.

The street party was/is part of riverfest, it's a fashion show, a small bit of it would be having the wedding on a screen if people want to watch it. Really think you're over-reacting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I'm just trying to find where the sexism is.:D Seachto does use the word women in his post, but is correct in that most of those working on that part of Riverfest are women.

As for whether the wedding being shown in a public spot is a big deal...well I tend to have no interest in things like that, but if people want to go and watch it outside, then let them. People will no doubt try to make out that it is some kind of historic event, and if that floats their collective boats, then it causes a number of people to be in town that may spend some money in town.

The celeb wannabes who will be trying to get their faces into the paper are no big deal either, all they are is small town folk trying to make out that they are something bigger than what they are.

Advertisement