Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal wedding called off

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

seachto7 wrote: »
    I know it's not right to post what I did, but it's true!!
    I dunno, each to their own, but I just can't comprehend it?? Am I being over dramatic....
    It'll go on all over the place, not just in Ireland, a party to fawn over dresses and celebs etc.

You know what they should show on the big screen in the milk market:

what's really going on in the world. Show starving kids in Africa, war torn countries in Africa, rape victims in Africa, famine victims in Africa, street children in India, street children in the Ukraine, what's going on in Libya, show why nobody cares about Rwanda and so on....

Show that stuff while adults are playing dress up in the milk market.

Gerry Seinfeld is dead right!!:(:(

Independent city councillor John Gilligan said the “market is not there to promote the monarchy”.

“I’m not against people watching the royal wedding, but I’m not going to go around peddling the illusion that these people are somehow special. It’s palpable nonsense which people should have left behind at six years of age. It’s total fiction,” he said

Too bloody right!

There are much bigger things in the world to worry about, and to be mad about, like the Anthrax album being delayed again, and Belladonna doing my head in. ;)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Kess73 wrote: »
    I'm just trying to find where the sexism is.:D Seachto does use the word women in his post, but is correct in that most of those working on that part of Riverfest are women.

I was sure his post was slightly different before I posted my reply, but there's no record of seachto7 editing it. :confused: Strange. Maybe I read it wrong. No harm done anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

The street party was/is part of riverfest, it's a fashion show, a small bit of it would be having the wedding on a screen if people want to watch it. Really think you're over-reacting.

Do you know what Celia, I probably am... :):)

now, Anthrax on a big screen.....:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Do you know what Celia, I probably am... :):)

now, Anthrax on a big screen.....:cool:

Alas, if I was Celia at least I'd know some models...

I was sure his post was slightly different before I posted my reply, but there's no record of seachto7 editing it. :confused: Strange. Maybe I read it wrong. No harm done anyway.

Oh there is harm done. Poor Seachto is distraught, and is in floods of tears. Plus the fact I told him that you said that Joey Belladonna is better than John Bush will have him stalking around the Mary I/ South Circular road neck of the woods with a machete. :D

• Advertisement

Alas, if I was Celia at least I'd know some models...

And you would be getting just as much quality time with models as you do now.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

Well, what good did the Royal Family ever do for Ireland down through history? I'm not talking about England/Britain or the English, but the royal family specifically. What good have they ever done for Ireland. Zero. Which is why we should completely ignore the royal wedding, but more for the fact that we are not British.....:confused::confused::confused:

I just don't get it........
    Spot on but theres no talking to some people.( The type of people who buy "now" magazine and "hello" magazine.-And watch expose,etc.) Jesus wept:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

The f**kers wouldn't send us a few spuds

A few spuds? Queen Victoria donated £2,000 of her personal cash and patroned a charity to raise money for the Irish during the famine. That again was a member of the royal family, specifically, doing good for people in Ireland. But you don't really like facts that get in the way of your prejudices, do you?

I couldn't give a toss about this wedding, apart from a minor historical interest as it's so rare for non-aristocracy to be placed in line for such a high royal position as queen consort. But at the end of the day, they're celebrities and some people enjoy watching celebrity weddings. Get over it.

If it helps helps, virtually all European aristocracy is descended from Brian Boru.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Predator_

iguana wrote: »
    A few spuds? Queen Victoria donated £2,000 of her personal cash and patroned a charity to raise money for the Irish during the famine. That again was a member of the royal family, specifically, doing good for people in Ireland. But you don't really like facts that get in the way of your prejudices, do you?

I couldn't give a toss about this wedding, apart from a minor historical interest as it's so rare for non-aristocracy to be placed in line for such a high royal position as queen consort. But at the end of the day, they're celebrities and some people enjoy watching celebrity weddings. Get over it.

If it helps helps, virtually all European aristocracy is descended from Brian Boru.

Wow, what a load of anti-Irish dribble.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Predator_ wrote: »

You might want to edit in a smiley if this was intended as a joke...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

1st: Who is paying for this?
    2nd: I don't see the point of a public screening. Usually such events are relevant to Ireland. This isn't one of them.

Predator_ wrote: »

A) Absolutely nothing about my post is anti-Irish. Feel free to point out exactly what parts you think are so I can tell you how you are wrong.:)

B) The word you were looking for there at the end is drivel. "Dribble" makes no sense in that context. (And FYI, my correcting of your English grammar is in no way anti-Irish, just in case you are confused.:rolleyes:)

This thread needs Old Spice dude.

.........But at the end of the day, they're celebrities and some people enjoy watching celebrity weddings.

When you put it like that, it's even more pathetic, and to think that they'll use a big screen to show a "celebrity wedding" in the milk market is a joke and a disgrace.
    Would they show Jordan's wedding on a big screen? Why not? She's a celeb as the next...
    I have no issue with a royal wedding. If someone wants to watch it, that's their own business, but it's irrelevant to Limerick, and I think it's wrong to have it or any other "celeb" wedding on a big screen in town.

Brian Boru eh? How's that?

RonMexico wrote: »
    1st: Who is paying for this?
    2nd: I don't see the point of a public screening. Usually such events are relevant to Ireland. This isn't one of them.

too right...

Brian Boru, he was a slut. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

Just a couple of quick points:
    • I think you'll find Ireland actually exported huge amounts of food to Britain during the Great Famine when millions of Irish were dying of starvation.
    • The Royal Family are one of the richest families in the world and this visit is going to cost the Irish taxpayer millions.
    PS: Anyone who believes in a monarchy is not worth debating with as a wise man told me don't argue with fools.

Brian Boru's grandaughter, Dervorgilla, was the great grandmother of Dermot MacMurrough, who married his daughter Aoife to Strongbow. Their daughter Isabel de Calre married William Marshal 1189. They had 10 children, 5 sons and 5 daughters. Legend has it that the bishop of Ferns in Wexford, in a land dispute with Marshal, cursed him that his sons would all die childless, that his lands, he had one of the largest landholding in western Europe at the time, would be scattered and his name lost. This turned out to be true. But Marshal's daughters all married well and every royal and wealthy family in Europe, along with many historical Americans, can be traced back to those women.

Brian Boru's grandaughter, Dervorgilla, was the great grandmother of Dermot MacMurrough, who married his daughter Aoife to Strongbow. Their daughter Isabel de Calre married William Marshal 1189. They had 10 children, 5 sons and 5 daughters. Legend has it that the bishop of Ferns in Wexford, in a land dispute with Marshal, cursed him that his sons would all die childless, that his lands, he had one of the largest landholding in western Europe at the time, would be scattered and his name lost. This turned out to be true. But Marshal's daughters all married well and every royal and wealthy family in Europe, along with many historical Americans, can be traced back to those women.

Was it not that Dervorgilla was abducted by Dermot MacMurrough whilst she was married to Tiernan Rourke or O 'Rourke?

There is a Dervorgilla in Scottish history some 50 or so years later that had six boys and six girls that went on to spawn many of Europe's royal families.

• Advertisement

It kills me that we still have to endure the Limerick/Clare divide. When will a united Thomond be returned to Ireland? Damn English and their boundaries.

Interesting stuff Iguana.

• I think you'll find Ireland actually exported huge amounts of food to Britain during the Great Famine when millions of Irish were dying of starvation.

Yes we absolutely were but seachto was asking for examples of members of the royal family personally helping the Irish.
    Jigga wrote: »
    [*]The Royal Family are one of the richest families in the world and this visit is going to cost the Irish taxpayer millions.

That isn't what this thread is about. It's about the hire of a tv to air the wedding during a fashion show.
    Jigga wrote: »
    PS: Anyone who believes in a monarchy is not worth debating with as a wise man told me don't argue with fools.

Define believe. Do I believe the monarchy exist? Well clearly, they aren't Santa Claus or God. They are there for us to see if we so choose and have formed much of our history.

Do I believe in monarchist societies as the best or valid forms of government? No, i'm an anarchist.
    Would they show Jordan's wedding on a big screen? Why not? She's a celeb as the next...

Actually. If Jordan was having a big televised wedding at the same time that some sort of public fashion show was being held at the market, I suspect they would show it on a screen at the event. They don't want to take the chance that the potential fashion show attendees will choose watching the wedding over going to their event. The type of person who'll want to see a fashion show of CHL, is the type of person who may well want to watch a celebrity wedding. That's all this is.

Was it not that Dervorgilla was abducted by Dermot MacMurrough whilst she was married to Tiernan Rourke or O 'Rourke?

That was Dervolliga, daughter of Murchad Ua Maeleachlainn, king of Meath. The one I referred to was daughter of Donnchad, King of Munster.

But mine was a great, great, (great?) aunt of yours.:)

Google also shows that Dervorgilla is part of the Cú Chulainn myths as well.

But the real life Irish Dervorgilla was not the great grandmother of Dermot MacMurrough, and was instead kidnapped by him.

Dervorgilla
    In 1152 Dervorgilla, wife of the brutal Tiernan O'Rourke, king of Breifne was abducted (along with many cattle) by Dermot Mac Murrough, king of Leinster, some say at the behest of her brother, Dennchad Ua mael Sechlainn. This was part of an ongoing power struggle, over the high kinship that had gone to Turlough O'Connor, king of Connacht.

Dervorgilla, has been blamed by many for the Norman invasion of Ireland, which led to centuries of English domination. Some historians contend that early clerical historians used the abduction to cloak The Bull Laudabiliter issued by Pope Adrian IV in 1155 to Henry II inviting him to invade Ireland on a crusade., whose anti female bias is endemic in their religious thinking. Here we set out some of the salient fact about her life, as known.

In 1156, O'Connor died and with the help of Mac Murrough, the king of Ulster, Mac Loughlin became high king of Ireland. This held until ten years later, when Rory O'Connor, (Last native high king of Ireland), overthrew him. Mac Murrough refused to recognize his authority and fled from the country to seek help from King Henry II of England.
    Henry allowed Dermot to recruit allies among the Norman barons of Wales, who were his subjects. Chief among these was Richard Fitz Gilbert de Clare (Strongbow). In return for Strongbow's help Dermot promised him his daughter Eva in marriage and the succession to the throne of Leinster, overlooking his own son.

Many historian's blame Dervorgilla for the Norman invasion of Ireland, others contend that this is an anti female bias of the Catholic church whose monks (Many of of whom were married) have written the history of Ireland and that much of it is fictional, purely political and religious propaganda. The Book of Rights, Lebor na Cert, compiled c1100 as an inventory for the Synod of Cashel in 1101, to boost the prestige of Muirchertach O'Brien as High King.

Blaming Dervorgilla, overlooks the eighteen years that had elapsed from her abduction in 1152, when she was 46, by the time Mac Murrough invited Strongbow to Ireland in 1170, she would have been 63, and it seems very un-likely that the sexual passions of a lady of her age, could lead to such consequences, in a society that viewed woman as little more than chattels. It also overlooks the political rape of the Abbess of Kildare, by Mac Murrough in c1131. Rape as a weapon has been used from time immemorial and continues to be used to day.

These clerical historians, also omit the fact, (Disputed by some) that it was the Roman church that first instigated the invasion of Ireland, by the Normans under Henry II. In the 'Bull Laudabiliter', issued by Pope Adrian IV (Nicholas Breakspear, the only English Pope), in 1156, this Papal Bull, was an invitation for ' Crusade' against the Irish Church, to impose Cannon law, in this it was successful. But in 1155, Henry had troubles with his brother Geoffrey and declined to invade Ireland, it was only after the murder of Thomas a Becket in December1170, as part of his penance that he agreed to the Welsh Norman invasion. Henry perhaps fearful of the power Strongbow was amassing in Ireland visited the country in October 1171.

Dervorgilla died in 1193 at the grand age of 86 at Mellifont Abbey County Louth.

That was Dervolliga, daughter of Murchad Ua Maeleachlainn, king of Meath. The one I referred to was daughter of Donnchad, King of Munster.

But mine was a great, great, (great?) aunt of yours.:)

Ahh same name decades apart. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I could remember the Scottish version from my school days, and could remember the one that was around at the time of Strongbow, but was unaware that there was another earlier one again.

Must have a search online to see if both the Irish ones had any relation to the Scottish one.

Dermot Mac Murrough was some boyo. He kidnapped the woman who was a relative of his own great grandmother.

Dermot Mac Murrough was some boyo. He kidnapped the woman who was a relative of his own great grandmother.

That's the norm throughout history though. The royals are all related to each other and often at war with their cousins. (If they aren't marrying them, which is the one interesting thing about this wedding. William actually isn't marrying an identifiable cousin!!!!)

That's the norm throughout history though. The royals are all related to each other and often at war with their cousins. (If they aren't marrying them, which is the one interesting thing about this wedding. William actually isn't marrying an identifiable cousin!!!!)

Having seen pictures of his cousins and carefully compared them to Kate Midleton, I can't say I blame him.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭jmch81

Do I believe in monarchist societies as the best or valid forms of government? No, i'm an anarchist.

So your a fianna fail voter then
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yieS7jWWdB8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Rango555

Let's not let facts get in the way of prejudices indeed. The Ottoman Sultan Abdülmecid sent five ships full of food supplies and funds as charity. However, the British administration did not give permission for these ships to enter the ports of Belfast or Dublin. To counter this The Otoman sultan declared that he would donate £10,000, but on the orders of Queen Victoria the British Ambassador in Istanbul informed the Sultan that he should reduce this amount, for the Queen’s donation was only £2,000. As noted in the letter of gratitude from the “noblemen, gentlemen, and inhabitants of Ireland,” the amount donated by Sultan Abdülmecid was reduced by the Queen to one thousand pounds.

So in fact Queen Victoria made sure that her £2,000 cost the Irish people £9,000. To put her donation into context in 1847, midway through An Górta Mór (1845–1849), a group of American Indian Choctaws collected $710 (although many articles say the original amount was $170 after a misprint in Angie Debo's The Rise and Fall of the Choctaw Republic) and sent it to help starving Irish men, women and children. "It had been just 16 years since the Choctaw people had experienced the Trail of Tears, and they had faced starvation... It was an amazing gesture."

There were also 100,000 British soldiers in Ireland to ensure that all food in Ireland was shipped to England...to put this into context there are 47,000 U.S troops currently in Iraq.

Apologies for taking this off topic but I find it needs to be put into context when Vic's "donation" of £2000 is being used to somehow show the actions of the British royal family back then as being "charitable" to the Irish

As for the wedding, I think it is disgraceful that our national station (which is funded by us) is dedicating an entire day to broadcasting the wedding, we are not British. As for the idiots who want to have a british royal wedding broadcast on big screens in a provincial Irish city...they should feck off to london if they want to see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

Rango555 wrote: »
    Apologies for taking this off topic but I find it needs to be put into context when Vic's "donation" of £2000 is being used to somehow show the actions of the British royal family back then as being "charitable" to the Irish

As for the wedding, I think it is disgraceful that our national station (which is funded by us) is dedicating an entire day to broadcasting the wedding, we are not British. As for the idiots who want to have a british royal wedding broadcast on big screens in a provincial Irish city...they should feck off to london if they want to see it.

You are using facts from 200 years ago to prove a point. A lot has happened since then. As I mentioned in a previous post when "republicans" were bombing England Maggie still allowed unemployed Irish people to trave to England and look for work.............. with out restrictions. If the same Irish people at the same time wanted to go look for work in the USA or Aus you needed to be succesful in getting a visa.

It's holding on to bad things that happened on both sides of the water that is holding back progress.

Advertisement