Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal wedding called off

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

seachto7 wrote: »
    Maybe they could also show the other "celeb" weddings taking place this year:

http://www.celebritybrideguide.com/2011-wedding-preview/

I can say with pride that I didn't recognise anyone in those other 5 pictures! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Rango555

Time for Dublin to lose the Jackeen status then...thanks to these shallow gob****es Limerick will now be home to the jackeens...for shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Rango555 wrote: »
    Time for Dublin to lose the Jackeen status then...thanks to these shallow gob****es Limerick will now be home to the jackeens...for shame.

Yes, that's the most serious damage to our reputation this city could suffer...

Yes, that's the most serious damage to our reputation this city could suffer...

It would not be "our" city had it not been for those who chose to die fighting for the right to our sovereignty (now defunct due to FF, corrupt banks and developers), it is a mortal shame to their memory. Of the 20 or so English friends that I have regular contact with not one of them gives a toss about this wedding, in fact they are angry at the fact that they are footing the bill while their country is undergoing "austerity" measures not too dissimilar to the "austerity" measures currently being pushed on us. Riverfest holds no allure because of this shallow act from a handful of wannabe celebrities in making an event of it in OUR city during OUR festival.

It would not be "our" city had it not been for those who chose to die fighting for the right to our sovereignty (now defunct due to FF, corrupt banks and developers), it is a mortal shame to their memory. Of the 20 or so English friends that I have regular contact with not one of them gives a toss about this wedding, in fact they are angry at the fact that they are footing the bill while their country is undergoing "austerity" measures not too dissimilar to the "austerity" measures currently being pushed on us. Riverfest holds no allure because of this shallow act from a handful of wannabe celebrities in making an event of it in OUR city during OUR festival.

What gives you the right to determine what someone can and can't watch?

People died for our freedom, and part of that freedom is the freedom to choose to watch royal weddings, premiership games, eastenders and the bbc.

Don't say someone died for our freedom and then have the nerve to seek to limit it yourself.

You might not like this, but people are free to watch what they want to.

I, personally, will probably do some painting around the house and maybe go for a cycle, that's my choice, and it's my freedom to do what I want. You can do whatever you like but you don't have the right to try and impose your idea of freedom on anyone else.

If you value freedom, imo, you have to value people's right to choose what they do with it.

• Advertisement

What gives you the right to determine what someone can and can't watch?

People died for our freedom, and part of that freedom is the freedom to choose to watch royal weddings, premiership games, eastenders and the bbc.

Don't say someone died for our freedom and then have the nerve to seek to limit it yourself.

You might not like this, but people are free to watch what they want to.

I, personally, will probably do some painting around the house and maybe go for a cycle, that's my choice, and it's my freedom to do what I want. You can do whatever you like but you don't have the right to try and impose your idea of freedom on anyone else.

If you value freedom, imo, you have to value people's right to choose what they do with it.

My gripe is with it being a part of our Riverfest and hosted on big screens...that goes far beyond the right to watch whatever you want. I believe da nuptiuals are being aired on many channels....they can watch it on their own television if they so wish. To try to twist it to me "taking away their right to watch it" you then have to completely ignore what I have actually posted....it seems you have achieved that.

My gripe is with it being a part of our Riverfest and hosted on big screens...that goes far beyond the right to watch whatever you want. I believe da nuptiuals are being aired on many channels....they can watch it on their own television if they so wish. To try to twist it to me "taking away their right to watch it" you then have to completely ignore what I have actually posted....it seems you have achieved that.

It's a small part of a fashion show that's part of riverfest.

I'm not ignoring what you posted, I'm simply pointing out that neither you or me has the right to stop a group of people watching what they want to watch.

If you want to hold an event in the market, get on to the trustees and go for it. Standing on the sideline cribbing is what has Limerick in the crap state in currently is in. You have every right to be critical of their choice but you've no right to try and stop it (as people have tried this week).

Like it or not, a group of people have come together to arrange a fashion show, and part of that show will be tv's showing the wedding. It's their choice, like it or lump it really.

for example, I've less than no interest in going to the Corona's on Saturday night, but a crowd of people have decided they want to hire them to play a gig, and another crowd have decided they'll pay money to attend the gig. My disinterest in the Corona's doesn't give the right to ask they hire better bands in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭nobody3

niallers1 wrote: »
    I don't undrerstand all the fuss about a wedding but probably a wise move to cancel it...

http://www.live95fm.ie/news/news-item/royal-wedding-screening-confusion/9f32aa4f-c345-4499-9ebc-da440b0dd409

Too bloody right. Why on earth are we concerned about a couple of rich kids getting hitched? Its not as though they've done anything extraordinary to warrant our attention.

Who gives a .......

It's a small part of a fashion show that's part of riverfest.

And it should not be a part of any city wide festival, Riverfest is a festival to highlight what Limerick has to offer...it is NOT a festival to celebrate a British Royal wedding and never should be. It is the "kick-off event" and the Royal wedding is highlighted as a BIG part of it.
    I'm not ignoring what you posted, I'm simply pointing out that neither you or me has the right to stop a group of people watching what they want to watch.

Try reading what you posted and you will see that you were completely ignoring what I posted and were accusing me of trying to restrict peoples rights...as explained I couldn't care less what they watch but they are shallow celebrity wannabe's to try to make an event of a British Royal wedding in a provincial Irish city...they either have no confidence in their fashion show or they really do not understand any of the history between our two countries.
    If you want to hold an event in the market, get on to the trustees and go for it. Standing on the sideline cribbing is what has Limerick in the crap state in currently is in.

"Standing on the sidelines cribbing and moaning is a lost oppurtunity, in fact I don't know why people like that do not commit suicide" - Bertie Ahearn speaking at the Trade union conference in 2007.
    You have every right to be critical of their choice but you've no right to try and stop it (as people have tried this week).

So you are now trying to restrict my rights then?
    Like it or not, a group of people have come together to arrange a fashion show, and part of that show will be tv's showing the wedding. It's their choice, like it or lump it really.

for example, I've less than no interest in going to the Corona's on Saturday night, but a crowd of people have decided they want to hire them to play a gig, and another crowd have decided they'll pay money to attend the gig. My disinterest in the Corona's doesn't give the right to ask they hire better bands in future.

A paid gig by the coronas in no way compares to a FREE kick off event as part of our river fest, you are comparing apples and oranges.

• Advertisement

So you are now trying to restrict my rights then?

Yes, if you are trying to stop it, no one in Ireland has unlimited rights.

I personally don't think one has any right to stop a group of people from doing something that's perfectly harmless and legal. If you did try to stop it I think you'd be acting beyond what you are rightfully entitled to do.

At the end of day, you are claiming your worldview is superior to another persons, hence you view people who've an interest in fashion "shallow". I personally have no interest in fashion but I don't look down on anyone who does. Live and let live and all that.

Yes, if you are trying to stop it, no one in Ireland has unlimited rights.

I personally don't think one has any right to stop a group of people from doing something that's perfectly harmless and legal. If you did try to stop it I think you'd be acting beyond what you are rightfully entitled to do.

At the end of day, you are claiming your worldview is superior to another persons, hence you view people who've an interest in fashion "shallow". I personally have no interest in fashion but I don't look down on anyone who does. Live and let live and all that.

So within a couple of posts you have ignored my posts to accuse me of restricting peoples rights...then tell me that my rights are to be restricted, and on top of that accuse me of saying things I have never said such as "my worldview being superior to others" and completely misunderstand my reason for calling the organisers of this event shallow.....nice trolling there bub.

So within a couple of posts you have ignored my posts to accuse me of restricting peoples rights...then tell me that my rights are to be restricted, and on top of that accuse me of saying things I have never said such as "my worldview being superior to others" and completely misunderstand my reason for calling the organisers of this event shallow.....nice trolling there bub.

If you genuinely think I'm trolling you then we'll have to agree to disagree. All I say is it'd be great if you could find something actually important to focus your ire on. At the end of the day it's a fashion show, not a pronouncement on Irish freedom.

If you genuinely think I'm trolling you then we'll have to agree to disagree. All I say is it'd be great if you could find something actually important to focus your ire on. At the end of the day it's a fashion show, not a pronouncement on Irish freedom.

At the end of the day it is the kick off event of our Riverfest and should not even be mentioned in the same breath as a festival to highlight what LIMERICK has to offer. I genuinely choked on my pint when I heard it was to be the kick off event....as billed by the organisers. Whether you understand it or not it is in no way appropiate to make an event of a British Royal wedding as a part of a festival in Limerick. I am free to choose what I want to aim my ire at and I deem this to be important whether you understand it or not.

If you were not trolling me in your previous posts then you have a funny sense of foreplay....

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭cul-2008

Berty wrote: »

No need to take a black marker to your name Berty, we're a tad slow, but give us some credit... :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

your friends are idiots, the wedding is turning a profit for the Uk exchequer.

its one event, theres plenty of others on around the city, and plenty of other ones to attend. if they want to watch it, leave em off.

zuroph wrote: »
    your friends are idiots, the wedding is turning a profit for the Uk exchequer.

its one event, theres plenty of others on around the city, and plenty of other ones to attend. if they want to watch it, leave em off.

Really?...not according to the English press and I would thank you to not insult the intelligence of people you do not know.

It is the kick off event for our Riverfest and should NOT have anything to do with a festival to highlight what Limerick has to offer...they can watch it at home if they so wish.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

No need for name calling folks, just because people are mis-informed doesn't make them idiots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭leakyboots

tis

'tis in me arse!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭heresjohnnie

I'm quite surprised at why you have an issue with it being shown. Its the fashion event of the year and cities across the world are showing the wedding on big screens. Clearly people who'd want to go to the fashion show would skip it to watch the wedding if it wasnt being aired there - in the same way that they showed the Munster match at last years Riverfest on a big screen?!

If its a case of the fact that the wedding is a royal one and your annoyed that its being forced on you (Im guessing from your posts you will be at the fashion show), I'm here in work and its on the speaker system because Today fm is broadcasting it, so your not alone! Im sure its being aired on the other stations too and across TV - the people of Ireland are apparently obsessed with it, same as everyone across the world (2 billion expected to watch it) so of course its going to be everywhere - the event has a special connection to Ireland as at one time they used to be our rulers (and were instrumental in convincing the PM of the time to hand power back over to Ireland) - as well as that apparently he is wearing something as a salute to the Emerald Isle! All those historical notes aside though, we all know that its fashion and celebrity crazed girls are largely the ones going on about this ... its just a show, a bit of showbiz gossip at the end of the day!

Anyways, my two cents, but the showing is just a side note to a major fashion show, which is only one event as part of this great Riverfest weekend! Hope everyone has a great weekend!! =D

• Advertisement

Really?...not according to the English press and I would thank you to not insult the intelligence of people you do not know.

It is the kick off event for our Riverfest and should NOT have anything to do with a festival to highlight what Limerick has to offer...they can watch it at home if they so wish.

article is misleading in that it accounts for the bank holidays on either side too, and their effect.

the amount of flights, accomodations, food drink, merchandise etc etc sold will more than cover the bill, they will turn a massive profit. Your friends have failed to see the big picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I heard a rumour that Seachto, Rango, and Insect Boy were all down at the fashion show to watch the wedding. Reports that Amazo was with them are unconfirmed.

Bit suss that they were not around when it was on tv. :D:pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

- the event has a special connection to Ireland as at one time they used to be our rulers (and were instrumental in convincing the PM of the time to hand power back over to Ireland) - as well as that apparently he is wearing something as a salute to the Emerald Isle!

Are you for real?? They used to be our rulers alright, that's for sure. They were responsible for a lot of things that went wrong in Ireland. I know we are 100% responsible for our current problems. Showing it on a screen in Limk is a bit like pi55ing on our history. I know we all have to move on, but lets not forget, they did f**kall of use for 99& of Catholics in Ireland ever.

If its just a harmless bit of showbiz and gossip, why show it on a big screen? Will they show the next hollywood wedding in the market as well? If not why not, as that's just harmless showbiz gossip as well...

Kess73 wrote: »
    I heard a rumour that Seachto, Rango, and Insect Boy were all down at the fashion show to watch the wedding. Reports that Amazo was with them are unconfirmed.

Bit suss that they were not around when it was on tv. :D:pac::pac:

I wasn't there but only because I'd other things to do, if you think I'm too good to watch models parade around looking their best (or at least the best they can look clothed) you sadly overestimate my character.

article is misleading in that it accounts for the bank holidays on either side too, and their effect.

the amount of flights, accomodations, food drink, merchandise etc etc sold will more than cover the bill, they will turn a massive profit. Your friends have failed to see the big picture.

The big picture? *** *** **** **** *** *******....My friends do not own hotels, restaurants, merchandise stores etc..etc...They will only see the bill. It is your kind of thinking that let the greedy scumbags who brought this country to penury away with it while we all have to suffer cuts in wages, cuts in healthcare, cuts in education etc, etc...I guess everything is ok as long as someone made a profit eh?:rolleyes: The article counts the bank holidays either side but it also counts the cost of the wedding.

The big picture? You are away with the fairies....My friends do not own hotels, restaurants, merchandise stores etc..etc...They will only see the bill. It is your kind of thinking that let the greedy scumbags who brought this country to penury away with it while we all have to suffer cuts in wages, cuts in healthcare, cuts in education etc, etc...I guess everything is ok as long as someone made a profit eh?:rolleyes: The article counts the bank holidays either side but it also counts the cost of the wedding.

oh man, please understand how the tax system works. for everything purchased, the exchequer makes money. the more money the exchequer has, the less money is needed to be taken in on direct taxes. therefore, everyone benefits.

I'm quite surprised at why you have an issue with it being shown. Its the fashion event of the year and cities across the world are showing the wedding on big screens. Clearly people who'd want to go to the fashion show would skip it to watch the wedding if it wasnt being aired there - in the same way that they showed the Munster match at last years Riverfest on a big screen?!

Are you seriously comparing showing a Munster match as a part of the Riverfest and showing a British Royal wedding?...if you cannot see the difference there is no point in even trying to show you.

oh man, please understand how the tax system works. for everything purchased, the exchequer makes money. the more money the exchequer has, the less money is needed to be taken in on direct taxes. therefore, everyone benefits.

I understand how a tax system works, you don't understand how Englands money is spent...they are currently spending hundreds of millions killing brown people in the middle east, none of that money will ever make it into the pockets of the ordinary joe soap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,087 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

R.T.E. showing the Royal Wedding is just at the bequest of the F.G. Government who are kowtowing to the British. Cringe worthy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Let's kick Harlequins, the Coronas, and any non-Limerick runners who think they're taking part in the Great Limerick Run out of town too while we're at it, what do they have to do with Limerick afterall?

Advertisement